Rusfurence (Russian: Русфуренция; known as Rusfurrence prior to 2015, and also known as RusCon or Russian Furry Conference) is an annual and biggest furry convention in Moscow, Russia, usually taking place as student holidays start, at the end of January - beginning of February. However, Rusfurence 2019 is to be held at the end of August.
Rusfurence is fairly small compared to other furry conventions, but its attendance in recent years has grown to over 400 furs. Among the challenges to its continued growth are:
- lengthy and expensive travel for non-local furries
- overly restrictive hotel policies
- growing separation between different factions in the Russian furry fandom (art fans, therianthropes, lifestylers, etc.)
- The first gathering began as Ukiwa's birthday party on February 26, 1999 with 6 attendees.
- The 2000 gathering occurred on January 2 with 8 attendees and Molly, a young lioness.
- RusCon 2001 was held from January 4 to 7 and attracted 23 registrants.
- RusCon 2002 was held from January 4 to 6, attracted over 40 guests, and was the last to be held at the Arbat cultural center.
- RusCon 2003 was held from January 9 to 12 and was the first to be held at the Zvenigorodskiy boarding house.
- Rusfurrence 2004 was held in mid-January and attracted 25 registrants and 16 guests.
- Rusfurrence 2005 was held from January 31 to February 6 and attracted about 60 to 70 participants with the option of staying 2, 4, or 6 nights.
- Rusfurrence 2006 was held from January 30 to February 5 and attracted 101 registrants. This event was the first to feature Russian fursuiters, Basil Lion and SimpleWolf.
- Rusfurrence 2007 was held from January 29 to February 4 at the Москвич ("Muscovite") recreation center in Moscow and attracted 106 registrants.
- Rusfurrence 2008 was held from January 28 to February 3 at the Zvenigorod boarding house (directions). Attendees had the option to arrive on the 28th, 30th or the 1st. Fees ran from 3800 rubles (~US$155) for two days sharing a regular room, to 13800 rubles (~US$560) for six days in a single luxury room. Guests could acquire day passes for 350 roubles/day. There were 116 registrants
- Rusfurrence 2009 was held in the Holiday Hotel "Rus", 18km from Moscow, Russia, from January 28 to February 1, 2009. The convention booked the entire hotel, and enjoyed the luxury of having no noise regulations. There were 169 registrants with at least 140 attendees present.
- Rusfurrence 2010 was held from January 26 to 31, 2010 in hotel Malahovka 12 km outside Moscow. There were 197 registered attendees (including 90 single-day "guests").
- Rusfurrence 2011 was held from February 1 to 6, 2011 at the Zvenigorodskiy boarding house. Attendees had the option of staying 2 or 5 nights. There were about 200 attendees in total, including registered participants, single-day guest and spontaneous participants, who paid their accommodation directly on the conference.
- Rusfurrence 2012 was held from January 31 to February 5, 2012, at the Zvenigorodskiy boarding house. Attendees had the option to stay two or five nights. Early arrival on January the 30 was also available. Rusfurrence 2012 introduced a security team, a room for fursuiters, and a furry-bar. There were 240 attendants: 145 full time participants and 95 single-day guests. There were about 50 fursuits (~25%).
- Rusfurrence 2013 was held over February 5-10, 2013, in the 4-star Avantel Club Istra hotel, and fully occupied a single standing block. Attendees had the option of staying two or five nights. This time, early arrival was not available. Rusfurrence invited for a first time a guest of honour - Alex Vance.
Rusfurrence 2014 took over February 5-9, 2014, at the Zvenigorodskiy boarding house. Early arrival was available.
|This city was considered the pearl of the West coast until the young and daring gangster seized all the power in the city and created the Empire.
Mafia was fabulously enriched by prohibition supported by the government. At that moment mafia gained a real power. The city became a cradle of crime, the kingdom of forbidden pleasures and criminal acts. All power in the city belongs to the criminal Syndicate – The Family. The government and politicians are totally corrupted. Local police cannot do anything in this situation.
Maintaining the status and capturing the city took a lot of energy. After a while the head of the Syndicate is going to retire and thinking about a successor who could continue the Family business.
Rumors that Don decided to retire have caused a disrepancy between those who are related to him by the bond of blood and who actually runs the business. And now each part tries to find favour in the eyes of Don.
The situation attracted the attention of the feds. They have their own point of view…
On April 1, 2018, it was announced that Rusfurence 2019 would not return to Hotel Heliopark Thalasso, or to Zvenigorod, but instead would move to a summer timing, possibly in August. It was explained that this was because of a desire for "kebabs at 20°C rather than -30°C" (later estimated at closer to 25°C), with the potential for tents for gatherings, outdoor activities and, if lucky with the location of the hotel, water events. In addition, it would coincide with vacation time for students - and teachers, and the only clashing nearby convention is Eurofurence (May would overlap with WUFF, with which Rusfurrence shares half its organizers). However, it would be possible that spaces at the hotel would be limited to ~150 attendees - although this would not prevent surrounding hotels from being used by day-visitors. This was considered by the organizers to be an improvement over not being able to fully-book the hotel, with its resulting lack of privacy and control, as well as dealing with the new management of the old hotel. The event is led by Black Lion (chairman, technical/AV) and Fleki (vice-chair, creative/art show).
In February, the convention dates and theme was announced: Rusfurrence 2019 "Summer Night" was to occur August 28-September 1, 2019. The venue was given as the Vozdvizhenskoe «Воздвиженское» Park Hotel in Serpukhov.
- Guest of honor on the Rusfurrence 2014 website. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- posting by Shain on the Rusfurrence forum. (English translation). Dated February 12, 2014. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Rusfurence 2015 website. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Where, when and how on the Rusfurence 2015 website. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Guest of honor on the Rusfurence 2015 website. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Charity on the Rusfurence 2015 website. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Rusfurence's profile on Twitter. Retroieved June 13, 2015.
- Rusfurence 2016 website. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
- Rusfurence 2017 website. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- Hotel details on the Rusfurence 2017 website. Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- When? Where? on the Rusfurence 2018 website. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Rusfurence 2018 website. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- Rusfurence 2018 website. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Rusfurence 2019. What's new? - Rusfurence, VK (Apri 1, 2018)
- Rusfurence 2019. So why Summer? - Rusfurence, VK (April 12, 2018)
- Rusfurrence lead organizers. Who are they? Rusfurence, VK (April 23, 2018)
- "Rusfurence 2019. 28 Aug - 1 Sept" - Rusfurence, Twitter (February 19, 2019)
- About the Rusfurence 2019 hotel - Rusfurence, VK (March 2, 2019)
- Rusfurrence.ru official website (English)
- Rusfurence 2019 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurence 2018 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurence 2017 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurence 2016 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurence 2015 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurrence 2014 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurrence 2013 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurrence 2012 (English) (Russian)
- Rusfurrence 2011 (Russian) (English translation)
- Rusfurrence 2010 (Russian) (English translation)
- Rusfurrence 2009 (Russian) (English translation)
- Rusfurrence 2008 (Russian) (English translation)
- Rusfurrence 2007 (Russian) (English translation)
- Rusfurrence 2006 (Russian) (English site)
- Rusfurrence 2005 (Russian) (English translation)
- Rusfurrence 2004 (Russian) (English translation)
- RusCon postings on LionKing.ru:
- Rusfurence on Twitter (in English and Russian)
- Photos, videos, reports: Rusfurrence resources