Rocket City FurMeet
|Rocket City Furmeet|
|First iteration||May 23 to 25, 2003|
|Final iteration||May 25 to 27, 2012|
|Organizer(s)||Rocket City FurMeet, Incorporated|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Rocket City FurMeet resources|
Rocket City FurMeet, known as RCFM, was an annual furry convention in Huntsville, Alabama, USA that met over Memorial Day weekend. It was started in 2003 by Brody Catsmouth, KO, and members of North Alabama Regional Furs. From the beginning, the meet was held at the Radisson Suite Hotel on South Memorial Parkway in Huntsville, Alabama. In 2009, the meet was held in the Embassy Suites Hotel and Spa on Monroe Street near the downtown core of Huntsville. RCFM has numerous food events and is well known for striving to keep guests well-fed. RCFM is funded through the 501(c)7 corporation "Rocket City FurMeet, Incorporated.
The convention's last event was held in 2012, and has subsequently been shut down.
Huntsville is known as "Rocket City" because it is home to Redstone Arsenal, the Research Base that created the rockets that sent all U.S. Astronauts into Space. It is also home to Space Camp, the US Space and Rocket Center, Marshall Space Flight Center, and Redstone Arsenal. Many German scientists, such as Wernher von Braun and many of his research team, worked on rocket engine design while living in Huntsville, AL after World War 2.
Rocket City FurMeet is a 501(c)(7) non-profit social and recreational club.
Board of Directors
- Alexander Katz - Corporate Officer
- Draconis - Advisor
- Illya - Art Show, T-shirts, Graphic Design
- KO - Director, Events Coordinator
- Setsu-P - Head of Security
- Snap E. Tiger - Treasurer, Registration
- Yoken - Secretary Corporate Officer
- 2003: The Stone Age
- 2004: The Egyptians
- 2005: Greek/Roman/Classical
- 2006: The Dark Ages/Fantasy
Wheel of Blame
The con has a "Wheel of Blame" with every RCFM staffer's name on it. The wheel, which was introduced at the second RCFM, is spun during the opening ceremonies and whoever's name it lands upon receives all the blame for any problems and mishaps during the entire con (aka Staff Member X). The wheel is then spun again at the closing ceremonies and whoever's name it lands upon is blamed for any problems the staff has until next year's convention.
- We have a NEW HOTEL, and an upgraded WEBSITE! - KO, (6 September 2008)
- RCFM Will Have to be Cancelled for 2014
- RCFM is now OFFICIALLY a 501(c)7 Non-Profit! - KO, (8 December 2008)
- Rocket City FurMeet website (Internet Archive backup from 2017/09/04)
- Rocket City FurMeet LiveJournal community
- Rocket City FurMeet Free Press
- Rocket City FurMeet Yahoo! group
- Rocket City FurMeet on Twitter
- Rocket City FurMeet on Facebook
- Rocket City FurMeet Flickr Group
- Photos, videos, reports: Rocket City FurMeet resources
Abbotts Aerodrome · Alchera · AnthroXtacy · BritFur Clubhouse · Castle Dark Haven · Club Culture · Club Flex · Club Furnication · Coonspiracy · Drachen & Grand Junction · Dragon Spire · EuroFur Exodus · FlyinTails Airfield · FurPleasure · Furry Fashion · Furry Outpost · Furry Plateau · Gay Yiffy Club · International Yiff Center · Lost Furest · Luskwood · Makazi and Karibu · Meeting Island · Mythos Prometheus · Naughty Boys Lounge · Oinari · Otter Cove · Pixel Hills · Pounce · Rainbow Tiger · Rocket City Community · Ryder · Serengeti · Sparks of Aion · Tartarus Island · The Forest · The Wild · The Yiff Factory · Underground Fur Club · Yiff Alley Lounge · Yiff Lounge