Peter Soyer Beagle
Peter Soyer Beagle, or just Peter S. Beagle (born April 20, 1939 in the New York, New York, USA), is an American author and musician who lives in Oakland, California.
Beagle was born in Manhattan, New York, on April 20, 1939, the son of Rebecca Soyer and Simon Beagle. He is also a talented guitarist and folk singer.
Some of of the many achievement awards garnered by Peter S. Beagle include the Locus Award, Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire, Inkpot Award, Hugo Award, Nebula Award, and World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement award, among others.
Peter Soyer Beagle has written novels, nonfiction, poetry, opera librettos, songs, and screenplays.
Peter S. Beagle's best-known work is The Last Unicorn (1968), a fantasy novel he wrote in his twenties, which Locus subscribers voted the number five "All-Time Best Fantasy Novel" in 1987. In 2005 he published a coda to The Last Unicorn, a novelette entitled Two Hearts, and began work on a full-novel sequel.
Peter S. Beagle and furry
Beagle was Guest of Honor at Confurence 12 in 2001, Eurofurence 12 in 2006, and Anthrocon 2011. He has casually claimed to be "a lifelong furry (sans the body suit)". claiming the classic novel The Wind in the Willows as the one book that "turned me toward fantasy".
The Pitt News on Peter S. Beagle and furry:
|Peter S. Beagle, an author of many furry fan-favorites... took care to describe the openness and acceptance of the community as its best traits. According to Beagle, furries don’t judge one another artistically or socially.|
Beagle's career was dogged by exploitation and mismanagement going back to 1982's The Last Unicorn movie. Attempts to recover his rights collided with furry fandom.  In 2015, furry news reporter Patch O'Furr was named as party to a lawsuit by Beagle's then-manager Connor Cochran. Whistleblowers were accused of defamation for joining public claims about Cochran's history of fraud.
Patch sued Cochran back, and the action tripled when investors and Beagle sued Cochran too. Cochran responded by suing Beagle and his girlfriend, suing Beagle's lawyer, claiming authorship of Beagle's work, and supporting an attempt to take conservatorship of Beagle. Patch was supported by Beagle and persisted through winning thousands in sanctions during the battle, and seeing a judge call Cochran's actions "frivolous". Cochran was dropped as a client by 5 lawyers until he represented himself and dropped his defamation claims; his other legal maneuvers failed and he went bankrupt.
In 2019 Patch was vindicated with a judgement of $32,000. Cochran was convicted of fraud and Beagle was awarded $332,000 in damages. Fandom was key to supporting a creator against elder abuse; Kathleen Hunt, Peter's attorney, also took on the case pro bono when it became “increasingly clear that Beagle was being abused… Peter wanted his reputation and his life's work back.” In 2021, Beagle recovered his rights. 
- ↑ Peter Soyer Beagle's article on Wikipedia. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- ↑ Peter S. Beagle's profile on Facebook. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- ↑ Peter S. Beagle Biography page on the IMDb. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- ↑ Guest of Honor - Peter S. Beagle page on the Eurofurence 12 website. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ Anthrocon 2011 is pleased to welcome its honored guest page on the Anthrocon 2011 website. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ We're a few of the authors of Humble eBook Bundle 2: Peter S. Beagle, Cory Doctorow, and Lois McMaster Bujold, AMA! article on Reddit. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ 10 Books Every Fantasy Author Should Read article on Io9. Posted march 29, 2012. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ Furry enthusiasts flock to Anthrocon article on The Pitt News. Posted July 10, 2013. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ The Sad, Strange Legal Battles of 'Last Unicorn' Author Peter S. Beagle article on Vice. Posted march 23, 2016. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ The full story of the lawsuit involving Peter S. Beagle, author of 'The Last Unicorn' article on Flayrah. Posted may 8, 2017. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ Peter Beagle lawsuit news: Connor Cochran's bullying tactics slammed by the court, Connor loses countersuit against Peter. post on Fans Against Fraud. Posted November 8, 2017. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ State Judge Awards Peter S. Beagle $332K in Damages article on File770. Posted June 24, 2019. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ The Last Unicorn' Returns Home: Renowned Fantasy Author & Screenwriter Peter S. Beagle Prevails After Multi-Year Legal Battles Against Elder Abuse and to Regain Control of His Literary Legacy post on Support Peter S. Beagle. Posted March 23, 2021. Retrieved ?.
- ↑ Peter Beagle recovers rights to The Last Unicorn and his body of work article on Dogpatch Press. Posted March 25, 2021. Retrieved ?.
- Peter S. Beagle official website
- Peter S. Beagle on Facebook
- Peter S. Beagle on Twitter
- Peter S. Beagle on IMDb
- Peter S. Beagle at The Library of Congress
|This stub about a person could be expanded.|