List of characters in The Whiteboard
From WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia.
The following is a list of characters in the webcomic The Whiteboard.
- Doc is a Polar Bear (Ursus Maritimus). Originally intended as an avatar of the author, Doc has evolved into a unique character. As such, he's the boss. The big bruin. The head honcho. King of the ice floe. Owns and operates an as-yet-unnamed paintball store, basically just as a dodge to get to play with wild toys and build cool gadgets. Has an affinity for Mountain Dew, big wooden mallets and Autocockers. Can hear a leaky 4-way or maladjusted ram snap-ring at forty meters, and carries around vertical mills like other people carry a Leatherman.
- Roger is a Raccoon (Procyon Lotor). He's a computer geek, programmer, and electronic transmogrifier. Often the voice of reason when new projects are contemplated, but occasionally the one wondering aloud where they can get some Thorium and a couple of particle accelerators. Has been known to troubleshoot electropneumatic software over the phone, on the field, and under fire.
- Swamp Fox (Swampy) is a subspecies of Red Fox local to the Kenai Peninsula (Vulpes vulpes kenaiensis). He's your typical laid-back rec player. Swampy is good but not great and thinks an automag is plenty "high tech" for him. A regular hangout at the shop and frequent bystander when a new gadget gets tested, he's usually the first one to call the fire department. Doesn't mind helping sweep up the debris.
- Bandit is a Ferret (Mustela furo). Skinny and fast, he's out on the field just for fun. Plays pump and stock, even in tournaments, and can't understand why somebody might need five 9-volts and a thousand paintballs for a single game. Can hide behind small twigs and uses Sup'Air inflation tubes like other players use the "snake". Owns only one marker, and knows how to use it.
- Snowshoe (Shoey or Shoe) is a Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis). More of a tourney player, Shoe prefers the fast-paced, paint-flyin' games. He's usually got the newest marker he can afford but often has to be dissuaded from buying the latest overhyped gadget or trading the old one in 'cause new ones are nickeled. Between game days, he can usually be found at the Shop watching paintball videos or flipping through the latest fliers and catalogs.
- Jinx is an Arctic Fox (Alopex lagopus). Jimmy's the new kid in town, and new to the sport as well. Strangely enough, not everyone thinks that exposure to the regular Crew is necessarily a 'bad' thing. That remains to be seen.
- Rainman (Daniel, never Bunny) is a Snowshoe Hare (Lepus americanus). Semiserious tourney wannabe, though he spends more time practicing his 'trash talk' than his snapshots. A decent player, but worries more about appearing a professional player than actually being a pro. Yes, he knows he has a famous profile.
- Red is a subspecies of Red Fox local to Alaska and northern Canada (Vulpes vulpes alascensis). He owns the local Paintball Field and runs it with the help of the Crew and various volunteers. Genuinely wants the customers to have fun, but won't put up with kids who want to "bend" the rules or can't learn to play safely.
- Jake is a Striped Skunk (Mephitis mephitis). He's laid back and easygoing… at least 'til he gets on the field, where he's confident and aggressive. Few players will risk bunkering him after seeing what happened when Bandit got the drop on him during a woodsball game.
- Bruno is a Brown Bear (Ursus arctos). Bruno's a bit older than the usual crowd, a little slower and not able to tuck or hide quite as well… But he makes it up in spades by being a devious, methodical and downright sneaky player. A fan of old pumps, he sometimes uses a semiauto just so he's not quite as sore in the morning.
- Sandy is a Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes). She's the new office girl. Starting out as an accidental hire after a party, she managed to put Doc's paperwork in some semblance of order, which came as a surprise to everyone since even disaster-recovery specialists said that would require heavy machinery, high explosives and UN approval. Knew absolutely nothing about the sport when she first arrived, but she's learning.
- Tawny is a Bobcat (Lynx rufus). She's Snowshoe's girlfriend. Shoey won't admit it, but if she wasn't keeping his gear cleaned and fixed, he'd never make it to the starting gate in time. He also won't admit she's a better player, and she'll let him win.
- Pirta (PJ) is a Snow leopard (Uncia uncia). She's a waitress at the Chinese-takeout place down the street. Pirta only knew of the shop antics from what the EMTs and firemen told her when they'd come in after another call. That is, until she found out an old friend worked there…
- Howie is a Grey Wolf (Canis lupus) and owner of a local bar that bears his name. He started off as just a background character but later became a recurring member of the cast. A former militant, he is by far the most patient person when it comes to dealing with Doc, one of his regular customers, no matter how many times the bear brings disaster. Of course, he still objects to what Doc is doing, especially when his bar is involved.
- Larry and Daryl are twin-brother American Red Squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) and frequent costumers of Red's. They initially were humans but got changed to animals in the colored strips due in part in that animals are easier to draw. They got into paintball in a big way. They each own three or four sets of gear, their room is plastered with paintball posters and photos printed off the internet, and they each have a small but prized collection of aging but well-thumbed paintball magazines. They're only mediocre players, but have plenty of enthusiasm which sometimes, but not always, helps make up for their lack of skill. Daryl in particular has taken to the use of paintball grenades in order to try and beat some of the better players. It is noted that they look so alike that even their parents have been known to find it difficult in telling them apart.
- Gino is a panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca). He seems to be a friend of Doc's from a long time ago. Possibly even more psychotic than Doc, he's known to be violent and likes mauling people. Started playing paintball almost at the beginning.
- Anthony is a Tiger (Panthera tigris). He is a construction worker and is often the one to come repair the damage caused by Doc's shenanigans, but hardly, if ever, complains. He's also nicknamed Tony.
- Duncan is a Cougar (Puma concolor). He's another banker who works alongside Jake, but other than that is very minor. Seems to have a thing for snow-leopards like Pirta as he flirts with her and hopes to marry either her or some other snow-leopard.
- The Jackal is an unnamed, unknown species of Jackal that acts as a guiding spirit to Doc whenever the bear goes into comatose. He likes wearing a Neo's leather trenchcoat and glasses from The Matrix because, according to him, looks cool.
- Kasi is a little girl Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus). A real wild-child, she is a little fur-ball of energy who's prone to getting into mischief. She also has a slight crush on Jinx, much to his chagrin.
- Packrat is a Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus). He's probably the closet thing to a villain in the comic (besides zombies and robots). He is sly and willing to use dirty tactics in paintball-games, but otherwise is civil and decent. He and Doc also seem to know each other in a negative way, but details surrounding it are yet to be revealed.
- Mr. Quisenberry is a Lion (Panthera leo). He is Jake's boss and currently a very minor character.
- Cassiopeia is another Cheetah and Kasi's mother. Unsurprisingly, she does display concern at whatever Doc is doing, especially when her daughter is involved. She apparently had a bad relationship with her husband and at some point divorced, but is now dating Howie.
- Sarge is a German Shepherd dog (Canis familiaris). He's a new member of the fire department that commonly has to mop up Doc's messes, and it isn't surprising that he finds the polar bear insane. Even so, he will help Doc undo his mistakes.
- Luke is a Dalmatian (Canis familiaris) dog. He's a firefighter veteran who comes from a family of firefighters. He's not at all alarmed at whatever Doc brings to the city, merely viewing it as an everyday occurrence. He also claims to have done three tours in the Gulf War because he couldn't find anything to watch on TV.
- Upshot is a Badger (Taxidea taxus). He's rather obnoxious as he tends to ask a lot of very specific questions (like if you're out of the paintball-game if you shoot yourself). Hasn't been able to find anyone who will let him join their D&D game since he was 12.
- Radar (Robin) is a Fennec Fox (Vulpes zerda). She's a new face that is introduced in the "Sleepwalking Doc Rampage" strips. She chose paintball because her dad refused to give her nunchucks. As her name suggests, she can pinpoint others with her ears alone. Jinx seems to have a crush on her.
- Luke Jr. is another dalmatian and son of Luke Sr. Another paintball enthusiast, though unlike his father, he doesn't seem all that interested in firefighting.
- Pete is a Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). Currently a minor character, but he's another paintball-lover and a comic-book geek. He named his paintball gun Potentially Deranged.
- Ambush is a Stoat (Mustela erminea). A minor character, but has become Bandit's rival, he's not really a bad guy, but can be kind of a jerk sometimes.
- Simon is a Desert Cottontail rabbit (Sylvilagus audubonii). Yet another paintball-player, plays paintball to relax, which doesn't always work.
- Cara is another, albeit female, polar bear. She works at a coffee-shop and meets Doc at Howie's bar. She becomes quite iconic in that she gets Doc as her boyfriend, something that most, if not all, of Doc's friends thought was downright impossible due to the wacky and dangerous things he does. Of course she does display concern at said things, but likes him anyway. She's also one of the few characters who addresses Doc by his real name.
- Miki is a Siberian Husky dog (Canis lupus familiaris). She's Cara's coworker of the coffee-shop. She doesn't completely mind Doc and his friends, but believes they're super-villains and can be a bit protective of Cara. Currently dating one of the firefighting dalmatians.
|Some of this page is derived or split from another article on WikiFur. The original article was at The Whiteboard. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. Unless otherwise stated, the text of WikiFur is available under both the GNU Free Documentation License and the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license (CC-BY-SA).|