Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper by Vantid
|Born||19 September 1982|
|Profession or hobby||Software developer, website administrator, editor, photographer, journalist|
|Character species||Kai norn (Creatures)|
GreenReaper spends much time researching and writing news and articles on furry fandom. He leads furry encyclopedia WikiFur, which he founded in July 2005, and online furry news magazine Flayrah, which he took over in January 2010. He also edits furry articles at Wikipedia and Wikinews, advises the Anthropomorphic Research Project, and runs the Open Directory's furry and MUCK categories.
GreenReaper was made a moderator for furry art community Inkbunny before its launch, and became its owner and lead administrator in November 2013. He also maintains the Yerf Historical Archive and takes convention photographs – releasing them as free content.
GreenReaper is British, and grew up in Maidstone, Kent and Caterham Hill, Surrey. He graduated from the University of Bath in 2004 with a first in Computer Science, and student awards for being "Most Geeky", "Worst Dressed" and "Most likely to become a serial killer". While there, he participated in the juggling club, and acted as a producer for University Radio Bath.
While in Bath, GreenReaper worked for Motorola as part of a bursary; after university he moved to the USA to work as a software developer for Stardock in Plymouth, Michigan, with whom he had a long history as a software skinner, beta tester, support volunteer, and utility coder. In breaks from programming and testing, he founded the Galactic Civilizations Wiki.
In August 2011, GreenReaper began working for GameStop in Irving, Texas after their acquisition of Impulse from Stardock. As of October 2013, he is taking a career break to further develop the websites he maintains, and Metapix, an online gallery management program targeted towards the needs of furry fans. He returned to the UK in August 2014.
- WikiFur - A home for the furry community
- WikiFur: By and for the furry community
- On Making History - accepted submission for the Anthrocon 2006 con book
- Coming of Age - submission for the Anthrocon 2007 con book
- Con reports: Midwest FurFest 2005, 2006 and 2007
In December 2013, GreenReaper mentioned that he "has a different opinion... as to the proper use of pronouns", and might not use the preferred pronouns of some transgender individuals. Discussion with those who considered his opinion to be transphobic revealed instead that, to him, pronouns implied sex, not gender, and using 'he' or 'she' to refer to those who had not undergone sex reassignment surgery could "[convey] an inaccurate fact",. despite typical convention regarding pronouns in the English language.
When pointed out to him that misgendering a transgender person can be a disservice to them and other negative consequences that accompany trans visibility, GreenReaper responded, "Ultimately your wish to feel safe does not trump my wish to feel honest."
While engaging with those experienced with the impact of such usage on transgender individuals, GreenReaper maintained his wish to avoid "what I believe to be false factual statements", but said he was "willing to make accommodations" by avoiding use of gendered pronouns for those in transition in favour of their name, or the singular they. He also said that, if anything, he identified as female gender-wise.
In March 2014, GreenReaper once again doubled-down on his belief that gender pronouns relate only to sex in an article by [adjective][species], this time also making comments with regards to WikiFur.[clarify] Though WikiFur's policy about pronouns is to use those of the subject of the article, GreenReaper stated, "Consider one practical problem: We have over 10,000 articles about people at WikiFur. We want these articles to be accurate, as far as possible. If you base pronouns on a person’s gender identity, then at any moment an article may need to be rewritten throughout to account for a change in that identity. If you base them on third-party observations of gender, they’re subject to differing opinions as to what is masculine/feminine...."
- A Tale of Two Wikis (full text) - presentation at Wikimania 2006
- GreenReaper at the Creatures Wiki, Uncyclopedia and Wikipedia (with more information on wiki-based activities)
- GreenReaper's LiveJournal profile. Accessed 12 January 2015.
- Furries Set The Record Straight: There's Nothing To Be Afraid Of - Joseph Erbentraut, The Huffington Post (18 December 2014)
- Flayrah relaunches with new software, editor-in-chief - GreenReaper, Flayrah (11 January 2010)
- GreenReaper's contributions - Wikipedia
- Furry fans flock to Further Confusion 2007 - GreenReaper et. al., Wikinews (6 February 2007)
- Anthrocon 2007 draws thousands to Pittsburgh for furry weekend - GreenReaper et. al., Wikinews (17 July 2007)
- Advisory Board - Anthropomorphic Research Project
- Society/People/Furry, Adult/Arts/Genres/Furry, Games/Video Games/Roleplaying/Massive Multiplayer Online/Furcadia and Games/Online/MUDs/By Codebase/MUCKs at the Open Directory Project
- Tips for success on Inkbunny - GreenReaper's journal, Inkbunny (10 June 2010)
- Site ownership change - Starling, Inkbunny (19 November 2013)
- ArtSpots to close January 2; Yerf archive preserved - GreenReaper, Flayrah (17 December 2011)
- The Record of the Archivist - interview of GreenReaper by Phil Geusz, Anthro #28 (26 April 2010)
- Furries - soon to be the latest UK teen fashion craze? - GreenReaper, (28 March 2009)
- Photo of GreenReaper's nameless raccoon at a Michigan furmeet - GreenReaper (31 October 2009)
- Photo of GreenReaper's red panda puppet with a dog bowl sold during Anthrocon 2013, signed by Judy Folkmanis - GreenReaper (13 July 2013)
- Picture of Lindt (3 January 2018)
- The GreenReaper Interview (archived) - Furry 101 (3 December 2008)
- And the winners are . . . - (15 May 2004)
- So yeah . . . - (2 July 2004)
- A Scripted Sample-Based Music System for Game Environments using .NET - GreenReaper (May 2004)
- From Wikipedia's Creator, A New Site for Anyone, Anything - Vauhini Vara, The Wall Street Journal (28 March 2005)
- Editor activity - Creatures Wiki, Wikia (accessed 26 January 2014)
- Letter from USAia - (8 July 2005)
- GreenReaper on WinCustomize
- Moving to Texas - (4 April 2011)
- @coyoteseven It's true that I have a different opinion to neolucky as to the proper use of pronouns. I also spell colour with a u." - GreenReaper, Twitter (27 December 2013)
- @MizDanaClaire Not true. When someone says "he" to me, I expect that person to be physically male. That is what the word means, to me. - GreenReaper (28 December 2013)
- "@Brefin My concern is using a term which I think conveys an inaccurate fact about a person. I'm happy to use "they" or their name instead." - GreenReaper, Twitter (29 December 2013)
- Quirk, Randolph; Greenbaum, Sidney; Leech, Geoffrey; Svartvik, Jan (1985). A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. Harlow: Longman. pp. 314–316. ISBN 978-0-582-51734-9.
- "@WikiNorn From their point of view, their fact is what they believe in their heart and mind. Anything else is a horrible disservice to them." - Brefin, Twitter (29 Decemeber 2010)
- American Trans Man - "14 Reasons Why It Is Not Okay To Out Someone As Trans: A Public Service Announcement From Your Friendly Neighborhood Trans Person". Written April 18, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- The Bilerico Project - "The Catch-22 of Trans Activism". Written May 10, 2010 by Kassandra Keenan. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- [http://www.liminalis.de/2009_03/TMM/tmm-englisch/Liminalis-2009-TMM-report2008-2009-en.pdf Liminalis – a Journal for Sex/Gender Emancipation and Resistance - "Every 3rd day the murder of a trans person is reported. Preliminary results of a new Trans Murder Monitoring Project show more than 200 reported cases of murdered trans people from January 2008 to June 2009"]. Written July 2009 by Carsten Balzer. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Such as Dana Simpson, Egypt Urnash, and Fluffy
- "@MizDanaClaire I will not make what I believe to be false factual statements about someone, even a friend who is FTM or MTF." - GreenReaper, Twitter (28 Decemeber 2010)
- "@randomfox @ribnose @MizDanaClaire I'm willing to make accommodations for people's feelings which do not require me to say something untrue." - GreenReaper, Twitter (28 December 2013)
- "@silvermink That's why I try to avoid using 'he' or 'she' in relation to transgender people. Not going out of my way to be aggravating. :-/" - GreenReaper, Twitter (31 December 2013)
- "@the_macbean The irony is that if anything I identify as female gender-wise. But I am physically male, so have no problem being called "he"." - GreenRepaer, Twitter (27 December 2013)
- Why Pronouns Are Important, written by JM. Retrieved March 6, 2014
- Comment by GreenReaper made March 3, 2014. Retrieved March 6, 2014.