Furry Summer Mexico
|Furry Summer Mexico|
|First iteration||August 1-3, 2014|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Furry Summer Mexico resources|
Furry Summer Mexico (FSM) is a furry convention in Mexico. Founded in 2014, it took place at the Centro de Espectaculos Plaza in Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City from 2015(?) until 2017, when it moved to Ponciano Arriaga #20.
This extended furmeet gathered around 50 people judging by group photos, including at least 12 fursuiters. It was organized on DFur's Facebook page (which had previously organized (Halloween DFur) and involved various regional groups were: Vidafur, GTFur, Enfurry, Urban Clawz, Bicifurros and Tonalli Furs.
There was no fixed location for the event; rather, several places were visited over August 1-3, 2014:
- Glorieta de los Insurgentes (Rotunda of the Avenida de los Insurgentes; initial meetup for the karaoke night)
- Parque Hundido (open-air exhibition of art)
- Forum Buenavista (ice-scating)
- Glorieta de Palma / Reforma (cycling)
- The garden of the Museo de Antropología (visiting Ai Wei Wei's work)
- Plaza Río de Janeiro (location of the fursuit parade)
Art was created for the event by Reigt Dreve, Darius and Mixtli Izel based on YCHs from a raffle of those who had pre-registered for the event. This would be developed in later editions so that everyone who paid to enter at an "artistic" sponsor level or higher would be entered into the raffle. Packages ranged from 50-350 pesos depending on whether ice-skating, a choice of one of the five T-shirt designs, or extra sponsorship was desired. Pictures and photos are available in the Spanish-language page about the event.
Furry Summer 2015 "Steampunk Pirates" took place 17-19 July. It is unclear whether there were any pirates involved, let alone steampunk. However, there were far more people, overwhelming the ability of the three staff members to manage them. Some got lost, being split up into separate groups. There was no backup plan in the event of rain (which predictably happened), and YXM reported that the backpack with the camera and branded tarpaulins for the group photo was stolen. Many were disappointed and there was a determination to recruit more staff and handle things better next year.
Furry Summer 2016 "Furry Army" took place 22-24 July.
A "supermeet" was held on May 20 to publicise the event.
In 2018 the convention's theme was "Retro Furs". The event took place over July 27-29. Programming included:
- how to make a webcomic (by Cross, the writer of Gab Shiba)
- laser sabre battles
- ink duels (an art battle)
- how to be a popufur and not die trying (by Metalpup and Thane the Pink Doggo
- a retro dance contest
- a concert with Vilgoser
- a basic animation workshop with Clyde Donovan
- a comic book presentation (by TigerLion Moikana of Contra Reyring)
- fursuit games, followed by a group photo
- drawing and commissions: how to monetize your work (by BashBL-UX)
- traditional drawing workshop of the 30's by Russel
- closing ceremonies
- a concert with Hochbänway
The at-door cost was 350 pesos for both main days, or 200 pesos for one day, and a 80 peso surcharge for Friday unless you had certain packages, while pre-registration was 25% less and package deals including badges, t-shirts, posters, sketchbooks, commemorative Thermos flasks, and personalized jackets were available from 500 to 1500 pesos.
The 2019 theme was announced as "Dungeons & Furries" in December 2018. However, drama revealed in January 2019 swirling around a laptop, bike payments, and a PayPal dispute, resulting in a failure to place a deposit on the convention venue, which finally caused the postponing of the event in 2020.
- Furry Summer Mexico 2015 Steampunk Pirates
- Furry Summer Mexico 2016 Furry Army - event page on Facebook
- Furry Summer Mexico 2017 Club de Verano - event page on Facebook
- Furry Summer Mexico on Facebook - the main community for this event
- Furry Summer Mexico (FurrySummerMx) on Twitter