From WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Feline)
|This article does not cite its references or sources. You can help WikiFur by adding references.|
For specifics, check the edit history and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
Felidae, more commonly known as felines, is the mammal biological family of cats (felids).
Non-extinct felids belong to one of two subfamilies:
- Pantherinae , which includes the tiger, lion, jaguar, leopard, snow leopard and clouded leopard.
- Felinae , which include all the non-pantherine cats.
The most familiar felid is the domestic cat (Felis silvestris catus).
Felids are the strictest carnivores of the 13 terrestrial families in the order Carnivora. They are obligate carnivores (or hypercarnivores), as they must consume meat to survive because of the much higher proportion of protein they require in their diet, much more than most other mammals.
Felidae in popular culture
- Bastet, Egyptian Godess (as early as 2890 BC)
- Maneki Neko (the beckoning cat, Japan) (possibly starting in late Edo period, around 19th century)
- Felix the Cat (first appearance 1919)
- Tigger, from Winnie the Pooh (first appearance 1928)
- Tom Cat, from Tom and Jerry (first appearance 1940)
- Kimba, from Kimba the White Lion (first appearance 1950)
- Fritz the Cat (first appearance: 1959 as Fred, 1960 as Fritz)
- Top Cat (first appearance 1961)
- Garfield (first appearance 1978)
- Billy the Cat (first appearance 1982)
- Eek, from Eek! The Cat (first appearance 1992)
- T-Bone and Razor, from SWAT Kats (series started in 1993)
- Simba, from the The Lion King (first appearance 1994)
- Blacksad (first published in 2000)
Felidae and furry
Felines are one of the most popular species that are chosen by furries.
Felidae in furry culture
- Darke Katt, from Sabrina Online
- Miss Mab, from Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures
- Brianna Diggers, from Gold Digger
- Zora De Facto, from Andorozon