Con Crud, also known as The Blorch, is normally a cold, flu, or other non-threatening illness that people can catch and/or spread quickly throughout furry conventions (specially room parties), furmeets, and/or local furry houses gatherings, which is mostly felt after the event is over when said illnesses have reached their peak incubation time.
Con Crud should not be confused with the term Con Funk, although it, along with possible unsanitary conditions, could contribute to its exacerbation.
Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, protection from the flu is best achieved by vaccination. It takes two weeks for the vaccine to confer protection.
Certain habits can also help prevent the spread of disease. A few of these include:
- Washing one's hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, or mouth to avoid germs spread.
- Avoiding close contact with sick attendees.
- Wiping down frequent touch points, such as door handles, and electronic devices.
- Practicing good health habits (sleep, exercise, stress management, and healthy food/fluids).
People who are sick should stay home and/or avoid others to prevent their illness from spreading. Sick people who do attend can still protect others by wearing a CDC-approved mask, social distancing when possible, covering one's nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, and properly disposing of the used tissue in the trash after use.
Consumption of alcoholic drinks can impair immune response, so limiting alcohol intake can help prevent one from becoming sick.
The Furry Dictionary lists "Blorch" as:
|A vagely flu-like illness that has a tendency to flourish and spread at large furry fandom gatherings such as conventions. Symptoms can vary, making the identification of the culprit micro-organism very difficult. It can also be exacerbated by immune system stressors such as lack of sleep from room-partying and dehydration from airline travel|
This definition was contributed by Sean Wilkinson in 2000.
- ↑ Prevent Seasonal Flu. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (cdc.gov). Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- ↑ Get Vaccinated. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (cdc.gov). Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- ↑ Preventing the Flu: Good Health Habits Can Help Stop Germs. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (cdc.gov). Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- ↑ "Gaming, cosplay, and con crud, oh my!" Public Health Insider. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- ↑ Furry Dictionary by Cloudchaser Shaconage. Retrieved June 14, 2007.
- Common Cold prevention page at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
- Con crud on Wiktionary
|This stub about a term could be expanded.|