Ruining the magic
Ruining the magic, also described as "break(ing) the magic", refers to performance or action faux pas made by mascot and/or costume wearers that "ruins" third party viewers' suspension of disbelief while at a event, normally at a sports playing field or convention.
Most common blunders
There are several ways by which suited artists can ruin the magic:
- Most of the time is behavior that is out of character (emotionally [i.e. anger/depresion] or physically [i.e drunk/stoned]), or when he/she/they break the (not expected/not in character) fourth wall.
- Another way is by allowing one's skin to be visible while wearing a suit when not appropriate for the character or is it not an emergency (i.e. suit overheating and/or performer asphyxiation).
- Speaking while suited used to be an egregious act, especially with one-piece heads or bolted shut mouths, but with the advancement of suit technology where expression and motion are more common on suit heads (manual or motor-driven), fully speaking costumes are almost a norm now.
Ruining the magic and furry
Within the furry fandom, ruining the magic while fursuited is also frowned upon. Out of character actions due to emergencies are allowed, and because of them, most furry conventions will have a designated area, normally called the "headless lounge", to accommodate breaks for the performer or to perform emergency repairs on their fursuits.
Partial or half-suits, fursuits without bodies, just normally oversized head, paws, and feet costume elements, are allowed at cons as long as the exposed extremities are covered in fur colored body-hugging tights or wearing normal, extremity covering clothes.
- Ruining the magic? post on The Furry Forums. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Ruining the Magic post on DeviantArt. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Testing out jaw movement on my new fursuit head by doing a lip sync video (for fun) post on Reddit. Retrieved May 30, 2021.
- (Ruining the) Magic - The Furry Way video on YouTube
- Ruining the magic post on Fur Affinity Forums
- Fursuit Poodling account on Twitter
- Ruining the Magic t-shirt on Redbubble
- Tricks Of The Trade Never Take Off Your Head In Public--And Other Important Lessons I Learned At Mascot School article on Sports Illustrated
|This stub about a term could be .|