Brasil FurFest logo
|First iteration||9-11 September 2016|
|Charity||SOS Vida Pet Litoral - https://www.facebook.com/sosvidapetlitoral/|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Brasil FurFest resources|
The latest edition of Brasil FurFest was held August 17-19, 2018 and received 431 attendees from 8 countries.
Next iteration is scheduled to be held from August 23-25, 2019 at the same place. Brasil FurFest is a member of the FLEF, group of Brazilian furry events. The convention's slogan is "Amigos para Sempre" (English: "Friends Forever").
|Brasil FurFest 2016|
|Brasil FurFest 2017|
|Brasil FurFest 2018|
|Brasil FurFest 2019|
|Brasil FurFest staff|
|Brasil FurFest guests of honor|
Furboliche (São Paulo's Furry bowling event) founders had the idea of organizing a furry convention in Santos back in 2014. Proposed name was "Confursão" (abbreviation for Convenção Furry de São Paulo, Portuguese for São Paulo's Furry Convention). Due to lack of experience, they decided to postpone the convention and started Furboliche instead, to acquire know-how and to understand the dynamics of local furry fandom.
After Brazil's camping-based furry convention Abando announced 2016 would be its last year, the staff of Furboliche decided to review their plans. They announced they would start a hotel-based furry convention, to prevent Brazil from lacking any multi-day events. Proposed name "Confursão" was withdrawn and it was replaced by "Brasil FurFest" to avoid similarities with a famous furry room in anime cons called "Confuria".
Official announcement of Brasil FurFest was done on February 13th, 2016, at Furboliche 5 event. Before traditional fursuit raffle, the staff showed BFF's logo and announced the convention would start as a crowdfunding with a goal of R$ 6,000 (around US$ 1,500) for the basic costs of renting conference rooms and producing conbook, badges and other stuff. Further goals for crowdfunding campaign were later presented for adding more conference rooms or renting party bus in case of bigger donations. Videos and pictures of the location were presented in the several screens of the Bowling Place and all Furboliche staff members were using buttons with Brasil FurFest logo. Before the announcement, a Facebook page was made and teaser videos in Portuguese, Spanish and English were published.
First crowdfunding goal of Brasil FurFest was reached in barely 13 days. In an official announcement on the social networks, the staff of the convention confirmed the event for the proposed dates. At the end of crowdfunding campaign, all additional goals (that introduced more structure, rooms and activities to the con) were reached and R$ 15,390 (approx. US$ 3,850) were pledged. After the end of the crowdfunding, regular sales of tickets stated at the convention's website.
In April 24th, 2016, BFF's staff announced the theme for the event: "Peludos em Santos" (Furries in Santos) - a joke with the name of a very famous Brazilian Rock song called "Pelados in Santos" (Naked in Santos). Guests of honor were announced in the same day.
Brasil FurFest 2016 happened as planned in Mercure Santos Hotel and gathered 169 furries (among them 54 fursuiters) from 5 countries (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Paraguay and USA) setting a new milestone for the furry fandom in Brazil: to have a hotel-based furry convention in Brazil with panels, workshops, dealer's den, artist's alley, fursuit parade , fursuit games and parties. Brasil FurFest was also the first furry event in Brazil to have a charity campaign, helping street animals from the city of Santos.
Second year of the convention had several improvements compared to the first year from logistics to organization. BFF 2017 started on friday night with the opening ceremony and the night rave, and for the first time Charity Auction was made to boost donations to the charity campaign. Brasil FurFest 2017 recevied 287 furries from 9 countries, surpassing Furboliche as the biggest furry event in Latin America at the time.
The growth of the event was important to boom the anthropomorphic culture in Brazil and in South America. In the first three years, the number of attendees increased near to 3 times, bringing together furries from almost all states of Brazil and from 11 countries in total (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, United States, Germany and Scotland)
In the 2018 edition of Brasil FurFest had the largest audience recorded by the event gathering 431 furries from 8 countries, a 50% increase over the previous year. The charity campaign set the record for the event and grossed R$ 12,359.45 (US$ 3,160.90), earning nearly five times more than in 2017. The fursuit parade also reached its highest number with 115 fursuiters. BFF 2018 was also first edition to have an cellphone (Android) app with schedule, maps and other relevant information about the event and the first year to have the flag of Megaplex at the Main Events Room, representing the sister con partnership both conventions started in 2018.
During closing ceremony of Brasil FurFest 2018, the staff of Furcamp, a new Brazilian camping con that happened for the first time in March 2019, introduced the event to the public. Just after Furcamp's presentation, Brasil FurFest team revealed its new slogan: "Friends Forever" and 2019's theme: "Furtrópolis, Brazil".
Next Brasil FurFest will happen again at Mercure Santos Hotel from August 23th to 25th, 2019.
|Order||Year||Theme||Dates||Attendance||Fursuit Parade Count||Guests of Honor||Location||Charity Amount||Charity Organization|
|1||2016||Furries in Santos||September 9-11||169||48||El Ranno and Latin Vixen||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||BRL 435.45 (USD 119.02)¹||MAPAN|
|2||2017||Furries in Space||August 25-27||287||107||Igor Cebarros and Felipe Marcantonio||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||BRL 2,668.10 (USD 841.67)¹||SOS Vida Pet Baixada Santista|
|3||2018||Lights! Cameras! Furries!||August 17-19||431||115||Crash Azarel and Fox Amoore||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||BRL 12,359.15 (USD 3,160.90)¹||SOS Vida Pet Litoral|
|4||2019||Furtropolis, Brazil||August 23-25||TBA||TBA||Pepper Coyote and Zeng Tiger||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||TBA||SOS Vida Pet Litoral|
¹ Exchange rates of the monday after the convention ended.
- A Fursuit Parade picture was featured in the cover of September 10th edition of A Tribuna, biggest newspaper in Santos region, and a full-page report about the event and the fandom was published. A Tribuna and TV Tribuna (local affiliate of Globo, biggest TV network in Brazil) also featured the convention and furries in their newsy portals.
- The local affiliate of Record TV network made a 3-minute report about the event and fursuiters in the noon newscast of September 12th.
- O Estado de S.Paulo, second biggest newspaper in Brazil, sent a reporter to cover the event and a podcast about furries was later published in their website.
- The Brazilian version of Vice published an extensive report about Furry Fandom and Brasil FurFest in September 22nd, 2016.
- Balanço Geral SP, a newscast of Record TV made an extensive report about the Furry Fandom in July 14th, 2017. After the report, the show host received in the studios some staffs of Brasil FurFest.
- Jornal da Tribuna Noon Edition, from TV Tribuna, affiliate to Globo, showed a report in August 28th, 2017, featuring Brasil FurFest among other geek events held in Santos region at that weekend.
The convention happens at Mercure Santos Hotel inside Clube XV-Office complex, in front of the Boqueirão Beach. All hotel rooms have sea views and the convention center can host up to 600 attendees. The hotel is near the main touristic district of the city, Gonzaga.
Brasil FurFest host several activities among them:
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Dealers' Den
- Artists' Alley
- Fursuit Parade
- Fursuit Games
- Dance Competition for both fursuiters and non-fursuiters
- Charity Auction
- Art-related, Literature and furry-related panels and workshops
- Gaming Room
- Night Party
Board of Directors
- Danny Lauderdale (Daniel) - Founder and Chairman
- Patsy Purrfect (Patricia Louise) - Founder and Head of Fundraising/Treasurer
- Ruby Sionnach (Aryane) - Founder and Executive Chief of Staff
- Toberal (Alberto) - Social Media
- Cenobear (Daniel) - Themeing
- BFF website. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Brazilian furry convention to be Abando-ned after 2016" on Flayrah. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- Brasil FurFest official website
- Brasil FurFest on Facebook
- Brasil FurFest on Twitter
- Brasil FurFest on Youtube
- Brasil FurFest on Instagram