Annual JaxFurs Spring Picnic
The Annual JaxFurs Spring Picnic was an annual event held in Jacksonville, Florida at Kathyrn Abby Hanna Park, and later at a local beach hotel. The picnic started in 2002 and was held every year to 2015. Attendance grew from 11 in the first year to 186 at its peak in 2013.
Each year, the picnic was held at Kathryn Abby Hanna Park in Atlantic Beach, FL. Traditionally the current group moderator reserved and paid for a picnic shelter at the park. For several years, the group was been lucky to secure a picnic shelter that was some distance away from the most populated area of the park, but still a very short walk to the changing rooms, bathrooms and the beach. The shelter came with about six picnic tables and a large barbecue grill.
There was no cost to attend the meet, but the picnic is potluck in style. Several e-mails were sent to the state and local community mailing lists requesting RSVPs and that those who are wanting to attend stated what they would like to bring to the picnic. This usually produced a broad variety of food and snacks.
Other activities included swimming in the ocean, sun bathing, playing with frisbees and footballs. Usually at least one picnic table became an unofficial artist's alley. The picnic is fursuit friendly.
The 11th Annual Picnic had the largest attendance on record with 128 people from all over including locals, South and Central Floridians, and a group from GA. We also had a bunch of fursuiters, 5 dogs, 2 birds, a potbelly pig and even an impromptu headless lounge.
The party attracts furries from all over Florida, and from outside the state as well. Due to being held in a city run park, there is no alcohol present and the event is open to all ages. Several furs with families have enjoyed bringing their young children to the picnic.
In 2014 the picnic was moved to a local beach hotel where it became more of a weekend room-party event. It was held here for 2 years. The 2015 event was the last held and there was no event in 2016.
- 1st JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on March 30, 2002. attendance: 11.
- 2nd JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on May 24, 2003. attendance: 35.
- 3rd JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 24, 2004. attendance: approx 33.
- 4th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 23, 2005. attendance: 64.
- 5th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 22, 2006. attendance: approx 70.
- 6th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 21, 2007. attendance: Numbers not recorded
- 7th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 19, 2008. attendance: Numbers not recorded
- 8th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 18, 2009. attendance: 76.
- 9th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 17, 2010. attendance: 110 furs, 12 fursuiters, 2 dogs (A new record!)
- 10th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 16, 2011. attendance: 114 furs
- 11th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 21, 2012. attendance: 128 furs , 5 dogs, 2 birds, and a pot belly pig
- 12th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 20, 2013. attendance: 186 furs, 29 fursuiters, and 2 dogs
- 13th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 12, 2014. Unknown due to venue change. About 100 people
- 14th JaxFurs Spring Picnic was held on April 25, 2015. attendance: unknown.
- 15th JaxFurs Spring Picnic 2016 was not held. Another instance was scheduled for April 22, 2017, however it is not clear that it was held.
- FuzzWolf - 2002 - 2005
- Lace Aurora - 2005 - 2006
- DracoFur - 2007
- STiTcH - 2008 - 2009
- Paradox - 2010 - 2014(?)
- durango - 2015 only
- JaxFurs Picnic Official Site (cybersquatted, archived July 3, 2015)
- JaxFurs mailing list on Yahoo (archived March 27, 2013)
- JaxFurs community at LiveJournal
- Fur Events Events listing mentioning the 4th JaxFurs Spring Picnic (archived April 4, 2005) on Florida Furs website
- Jax Furs Picnic photo group on Flickr