A Furry Future
|A Furry Future|
"Eating with Sticks like Cavemen."
|Launch date||January 2015|
|Genre||Black comedy, Gag-a-day|
A Furry Future is a webcomic series created by American cartoonist Jacob Elmer. The strips style is leaned more to the Slice of Life category but would often use themes of black comedy as well as fourth wall break humor.
The comic originally appeared on Jacob's DeviantArt account, while he was a senior in high school. The comic's setting was meant to be a joke based around the film Back to the Future Part II on how the future hasn't improved the way people expected it. After gaining a small following it wasn't until 2018 when Jacob decided to start posting the comic on a Tumblr page, hoping to reach a higher audience.
The comic is set in the distant future where the majority of Earth's animals have evolved to become more anthropomorphic and live alongside with humans. It revolves around characters who are either anthropomorphic animals or humans living in Phoenix, Arizona, and dealing with everyday life and/or annoyances.
The comic focuses solely on
- Richard "Ricky" Roofus - A skunk and the main protagonist of the series. Ricky is a wannabe comedian and occasional musician, who works at the Hot Topic. Ricky is also known for his odd sense of humor and pulling wise cracks on his friends.
- Bryan Dautrive - The leading human character, and the deuteragonist of the series. Bryan is Ricky's best friend from high school, who works as a white-collar office worker. He is known best for his ignorant personality, as well as an unhealthy alcohol addiction and short temper. A recurring gag is Bryan usually trying to insult someone only for it to backfire.
- Kaylee Bronson - A female otter who is a friend of Ricky and Bryan, as they known each other since college. Kaylee works as a second-grade school teacher, which is a stressful job for her as the students would often rebel against her.
- Sarah "Sparky" Raccoon - A female raccoon who is a good friend and neighbor to Ricky. Sparky is an odd, ditzy, and least intelligent albeit sweet-natured and an aspiring rock musician. She has a fondness for her electric guitar. She is often the one making fourth wall jokes, and her stupidity constantly annoys Bryan. It is implied that Sparky was named after Charles Schulz.
- Clint Burns -The landlord of the apartment complex, Ricky and his friends live in. He has been known to be a megalomaniac and sometimes seen to be rude and unpleasant.
- Joey Simpson -A silver fox and one of Kaylee's students. He was raised by his two lesbian mothers, and he hangs out with his best friend, Keith. Joey's last name comes from D.C. Simpson.
- Keith Burns - Clint's imaginative son, and Joey's best friend. He is one of the two leading characters in the Joey and Keith spin-off. He is the most rebellious student in Kaylee's class, often causing trouble with Joey. Keith is also an aspiring artist.
- Rebecca "Becky" Bronson -Kaylee's beloved niece. After her parents divorced she has been sent to live with her aunt in Arizona. Becky is a seemingly innocent child and has very little common sense.
- Melissa Burns -Clint's 4th wife and Keith's mother.
- Bailey -Ricky's beloved dog, and one of the only non-anthropomorphic animals in the strip.
- Fox-Jake The fursona of the artist Jacob Elmer who appears self-reflexively as an arctic fox in the strip. Only occasionally appears when Sparky makes a fourth wall joke.
- Roxanne A female red fox from Scotland who is the manager of a punk rock band in England.
A hardcore punk band from Staffordshire, England consisting of five fox (originally four). The band is been described as a stereotypical punk rock band, often playing outrageous gigs at pubs, and getting into trouble with the police. Skum-Faux's music is believed to be a mix of the Sex Pistols, Black Flag, and Charged GBH. They eventually began to experiment with grindcore.
- Deryck Springfield -The founder, lead singer and occasional guitarist for the band. Originally born in Newcastle upon Tyne. He is known to have a wild and reckless personality as with his other friends.
- George Kingsman -The drummer the more sarcastic and grumpy member in the band. He is described by his obesity and his red Mohawk and for being the only member in the band without fangs.
- Dave McFox -The lead guitarist for the band. Dave was born in Cardiff, Wales and sports the similar reckless and simple behavior as Deryck. He wears a black trucker cap and a Dead Kennedys band t-shirt. he plays a black Fender Stratocaster electric guitar.
- Timothy Baker -The bassist and backing vocalist of the band, as well as the main lyricist and more intelligent band member. Timothy was born in Stoke-on-Trent, and was diagnosed with high functioning Autism at the age of 5. He is seen wearing thick frame glasses, and wears his hair in a ponytail.
- Matt Springfield -The rhythm guitarist and backing vocalist of the band. He is also much younger than the other band members. Matt was born in Glasgow, Scotland and diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. He is seen as the more angry and cynical one of the group, often insulting people.
The comic's style and humor are inspired by several webcomics and comic strips. Most notably Calvin and Hobbes, Pearls Before Swine, Transmission, Sabrina Online, Ozy and Millie and Woods For The Trees. Matt Groening's comic strip Life in Hell was a huge influence to A Furry Future, for it's experimentation on panel structure as well as use of black comedy.
Gary Larson's The Far Side was also an inspiration for the single panel strips.