|This article does not cite its references or sources. You can help WikiFur by references.|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
Yiff is an onomatopoetic word and/or sound, coined in 1990 by Foxen while roleplaying his fursona, littlefox, originally to meaning a cheerful greeting or an energetic "yes", but changing over time to be used more commonly as an expression of sexual interest or activity.
In Foxish language, yiff initially meant "yes!" or an enthused "hello!". Later, "yiff" was assigned a more sexual connotation, a meaning that had previously been assigned to yipp (a coarse form of yip). This was compounded by several fox characters[who?] on Furry MUCK who were spreading a very sexual reputation for the species at about the same time as this came into common usage.
 Alternative term use
- As a furspeak or furry version for the English profanity word, Fuck ("Ah, yiff that!" or "Yiff You!").
- To express happiness, success, or feeling ("Yiffy").
- To describe erotic, sexual, or pornographic anthropomorphic media (noun).
- As a descriptive acronym (YIFF or Y. I. F. F. - "Young Incredibly Fuckable Furry").
Yiffing is a term for sexual intercourse between furs.
The exact time the term "yiffing" was coined is disputed.[who?] The most popular etymology stems from the 1980s, citing that "yiff" was the sound foxes make while mating.
Yiffing comes with its own set of sexual euphemisms, in addition to many of the same slang terms used in human sex. For example, a popular term for male masturbation is "pawing off" ("clopping" within the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fandom, specially by bronies)..
 See also
- yiff, yiffy, yiffs, and yiffing on the Wiktionary
- The Yiffy Guide to Safer Sex
- Yiff in Hell, furfags
- ↑ Description of Yiff on Everything2.com (Retrieved ?)
- ↑ Description of Clopping on Knowyourmeme.com (Retrieved ?)
- Yiff on the Urban Dictionary
- Yiff on Knowyourmeme.com
- Yiffing on the Urban Dictionary
- Yiffing on Knowyourmeme.com
|This stub about a term could be .|