WikiFur talk:WikiFur Digest
As I see it
So the idea is to create a newsletter (or other publication) which features:
- News/general wiki stuff (WikiFur Update?)
- Historical (From the Archives?)
- Humour (A Lighter Shade of Fur?)
- Comment on previous articles and WikiFur (Bite-Back? - first one could be an FAQ of wikis and summary of previous criticisms)
I have a question as to what topics we'd cover, and whether those shouldn't be condensed into opinion articles. How are we defining historical articles? Where would the humor come from?
I think lightweight items could be sprinkled throughout (Fleas?). And I'd like to call that last item Tail-Chasing. -- Siege 02:34, 6 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- Topical would be topics relating to current ones, but not necessarily opinion. For example, if it happened to be the one-year anniversary of the loss of a major art archive, it might be appropriate to do an article on that and related subjects. Of course, this might well merge into historical or opinion (or humour). The above are not strict "we must have one item of each per issue" requirements, but general classes into which articles might fall.
- Historical articles would be based around either a specific time and area of the fandom ("noted furry artists of the early 1990s") or follow a particular theme over the course of years. Humour . . . well, maybe we could open a page and vote on the best bad furry jokes? ;-) --GreenReaper(talk) 05:37, 6 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- A good editorial topic might involve Misanthropy. It seems like a hot-button issue that is rarely talked about. Down the road, I see it as a source of trouble...but that is the problem of the future and not of the present.
- Bad Furry jokes... Good jokes make us look smarter, though, and looking intelligent is a good thing. Puns I like, both good and bad, bonus points for it being as bad as William Shatner's (Captain Kirk). A parody of the "Get a Life" speech...perhaps?
- --Soran Argo 16:25, 23 Dec 2005 (UTC)
- Don't get me started about misanthropy, please. Trust me on this one, I find misanthropy as something leads to pogroms and in a sane universe, misanthropy tends to undermine equality of species. It's insults like that which give us fur-geeks a bad name. --Soran Argo 19:17, 23 Dec 2005 (UTC)
- Sheesh, it was a joke. :-) The CSI writers did the same thing with the whole "raccoons suck, wolves are superior" bit . . . the only people who actually think that are a little odd in the head in other ways as well (it's been said that dragons are largely responsible for this - I'm not sure how true that is, though).
- It's a little memeplex known as tolerance. Intelligent life is intelligent life, no matter what the form. I judge by behavior, not species. It solves a lot of problems, in my opinion.
- Hmm, I think we have an interesting debate going here, with some tinkering, might work well in the digest. --Soran Argo 22:26, 23 Dec 2005 (UTC)
- I wouldn't mind putting in some time each week or every other week to produce a short digest style newsletter. It would be nice to get a summary of the major goings on at wikifur by email/wiki each week. -- DeVandalizer 07:12, 2 July 2006 (UTC)