WikiFur:Vote on the new Community Portal name
WikiFur is soon to have its Community Portal redesigned to provide more functionality, communication and organisation for projects within the wiki. As such, the Community Portal is going to be given a new name.
What is that name? Well, we don't know yet and we'd like you to vote on the suggested names! You may vote once for each name you approve of (apart from your own). Voting will continue until the 2000th article, or a clear majority, whichever comes first. If you missed out suggesting a name, or if you had another idea, you can still add it at the bottom.
To vote for a submission, put two colons (::) followed by your vote, and optionally your reason for choosing it.
- Community Central
- Use 'Community Central' to keep that sense of familiarity with users from other wikis (which is a plus), but use 'central' to make it distinct that the central page is not a portal into dozens of other pages with very restricted information (WikiFur isn't that big yet...). For the Village Pump, I suggest that we call it 'The Park.' I mean, how many furryMUCKs make a park of some sort the central area? FurryMUCK's West Corner of The Park, SPR's Knuth Park... Almafeta 12:17, 14 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- I vote for this one - simple and unambiguous. Tevildo
- I'm for this one as well. I'm afraid anything fur-specific comes across as "trying a bit too hard" for my taste :-) --Duncan da Husky 12:19, 10 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- VoteA - Does make sense for the reasons outlined above, however for my choice for the Village Pump, see VoteB below. --Nidonocu - talk 08:10, 11 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- This would be fine with me, although then we have two centrals . . . --GreenReaper(talk) 06:36, 14 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- This seems to work best. Any name that uses "furspeak" terms seems too contrived and exclusive, and anything with "Portal" in it implies more links to other areas of the site. "The Water Hole" isn't too bad, though, and would be my second choice if we got two votes. --mwalimu 19:00, 17 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- The Den
- Maybe?--Sandstripes 22:48, 15 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- The Fur-ont Desk
- Get it? Front Desk? I don't know, it's just an idea I had.--JSB 21:51, 14 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- The Infurmor Portal
- play on words here but basically I think that this is the place where you get informed as to what is needed.
- --Catwoman6y2k 11:28, 5 October 2005
- Wikifur Lobby
- Lounge?, RecRoom?, Hospitality Suite?, Help Desk?, Information Desk?, The Oasis?, The Glade?, Meeting Point? (Like at some major Airports, a simple, giant X, on the floor,) Receiving Area?, Conference Room?, Transfer Station?, Boarding Gate?,Town Hall?, Main Square?, the Ballroom?, The Bulletin Board?. 18.104.22.168 22:07, 14 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- Community Purrtal
- A bit species-specific, but it's still cute, eh? Rather explicitly furry and easily identifiable, too. Benjamin 23:42, 14 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- The Water Hole
- A bit of a furryish pun on WikiNews's Watercooler. :XP Benjamin 23:48, 14 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- The Break Room
- A nice, neutral name that seems to fit the mood of the community center. --TheListener 03:13, 15 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- I like this name. --Phroziac (talk) 17:27, 24 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- The Howling Grounds
- For obvious, but lupine reasons. I'd also suggest The Tavern, but that's not explicitly furry, and where's the fun in that?
Cuprohastes 03:33 17 Sep 2005(UTC)
- Unifursity Quad
- This is my idea for the Community Portal. We're here to learn, discuss, and contribute to the furry education of readers. Alternates: Unifursity Commons, Unifursity Square.
- Furry Forum
- This is my idea for the forum: it has a nice, simple ring to it. If one felt led, one could even do it with a semi-obligatory misspelling: Furry Furum.
ZorkFox 23:57, 18 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- Furry Web Access Portal! ... Why's everyone looking at me like that...? e.e
--Crassus 15:45, 21 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- The Furpile
- This is perhaps a bit too informal for the community portal, but I think it would work well for a discussion area - it's got a nice mix of furryness and informality. --GreenReaper(talk) 08:37, 24 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- Furpile might work for the 'village pump' area. Almafeta 11:30, 10 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- Community Portal
- Of course, it's possible that some people don't believe that the name needs to be changed. I'd be one of those, but my vote doesn't count. Almafeta 11:30, 10 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- Infurmation Central
- A play on the word information but not odd enough so you don't know what it is. --Blubberzz 02:00, 19 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- The Wikifur Directory
- The Wikifur Depository, The Gateway, Sanctuary, The Garden, The Terrace, The Main Hall, The Wetlands, The Marshlands, The Archway, The Brotherhood, Crew Quarters, The Jungle, The Settlement, The Burrow, The Den, The Valley Retreat, The Alcove, The Zoo's Lodgings, The Oasis' Tent. Spirou 03:01, 19 Oct 2005 (UTC)
Criteria for the new name
The name should be something furry related and it can also be a little humorous too if you want. The WikiFur: namespace remember doesn't have to be official like the main article namespace. It can also run on a little theme if you want as we are also going to have a forum and discussion area within the Portal (akin to Wikipedia's Village pump), you can suggest a name for that area too if you wish to accompany your suggestion.
If you want some examples, WikiNews has "The Watercooler"; Memory Alpha, the Star Trek wiki, has "Ten Forward"; the Homestar Runner wiki has "The Stick".
Process for picking a new name
The process for picking a new name will be as follows:
- Enter your personal suggestion below, sign your edit to show who you are, these will be checked against the edit history of this page.
- Once enough submissions are in, a vote will be held for the favourite name.
- The favourite name will be selected and development on the new Portal will begin.
We are aiming to have the new portal up in time for the 2000th article so get your entries in now!