Hi there, RVDDP2501, and welcome to WikiFur! Thanks for your recent contributions to the Extinctioners article. I copied over the otrs template to fixup the licensing sections on those image pages. Let me know if you need any help not already provided. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 23:14, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- 1 Wikipedia.org Extinctioners page being considered for deletion
- 2 Recent Extinctioners edits
- 3 Andorozon pics
- 4 Extinctioners character articles
- 5 Cleanup?
- 6 Horizontal or vertical?
- 7 Text copyright concerns
- 8 Anthrocon
- 9 Scarlet Ann Starfox page
- 10 Hi there!
- 11 Extinctioners at Answers.com
- 12 Extinctioners improvement
- 13 Deletion of Krystin pic
- 14 Another hi
Wikipedia.org Extinctioners page being considered for deletion
I'm so upset right now because my Extinctioners page at Wikipedia.org is being considered for deletion, if I try and update the one here, will it also be deleted, please let me know in my talk(if it works)
- On the contrary, we would be glad to have your contributions, as long as the copyright status of the images is satisfactory (either GFDL or another open form of licensing, or permission for use on WikiFur). As you can see on Wikipedia's deletion proposal, their reasoning is that Extinctioners is not sufficiently notable in the general world for an article. WikiFur is all about the furry fandom, so that's not applicable here. Just remember that as with Wikipedia articles are community efforts - after all, you copied the initial article from here - and you should do fine. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 23:51, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
Well I have permission from the Extinctioners artist, so do you like the original page at wikipedia.org?
- No, that is the only permission required. I talked with Angela of Wikia and she looked up the details in Wikimedia's system. She says it seems OK with her, so it's OK with me. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 06:08, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
Recent Extinctioners edits
Perhaps your best bet right now is to copy the entire article you are moving via transwiki, edit it in text pad, previewthe edits (with the preview button) in wikifur, and then finally save the final result rather than edit little bits and pieces at a time. It would certainly reduce the number of edits we would have to check over in the end. And as for images, we may only need one image for each character, not two (as some have). The size reduction helps though, since I notice the copyying so far has reduced their size from the original wikipedia article as far as I've seen. ----Markus(talk) 01:04, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
Could you explain it to me in detail, please, I have trouble with such things Also, please let me know what changes you would like done and if these changes give me trouble (pics colliding with others, etc.) then let talk about it, alright?
- You can copy the entire article via "the edit page. Copy everything, pate it in word oer notepad (or your text editor of choice), change the parts you want and check for typos. Then paste it back into the wikifur edit window (make sure it's empty first) and click the button labled "preview". That will show you the results of your work so you can see how it looks.
Images can be trimmed. You just remove the black and white copies and leave the color versions on the page. And by remoev, I mean remove their [[image:image.jpg]] tags. And the alignment of the remaining images could be set to the right and left in alternation. For example, the first image for the characters section could be on the left, the second on the right, the third on the left, ecetera. The sizes you are using here to make them smaller helps a lot. ----Markus(talk) 11:10, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
what do you mean their [[image:image.jpg]] tags?
Ok, heres what I'll do, I will make the page pretty much the same ways as it is on wikipedia and we will edit it from there, is that ok? but I will need some help, ok
OK, the page is done, please let me know what I need to do now
The Creator of the Andorozon comics has sent me an e-mail giving me permission to use his picsm how do I forward you the e-mail to get the pics licenced, the pics up already were drawn by Shawntae Howard and were licenced but Ken Singshow is going to send his own pics, what do I do? --RVDDP2501
- I would suggest that you just attach a copy of the email giving permission to the discussion page of the Andorozon article. That way everyone who looks at the article. You could also add a note on the image upload description that links to that page (something like [[Talk:Andorozon|permission information]]).
- Also, when writing messages on talk pages please sign your name by putting ~~~~ at the end so we know who's talking and so who to reply to. It's possible to find that information out by looking at the edit history, but it's a lot easier if it's right there. Thanks! :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 15:34, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
OK, so HOW do I attach the e-mail to the discussion page?RVDDP2501 15:51, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
- Copy text, paste text. :-) Put it under a ==Image licensing== header so it's clear what the message is about.
Also, how does the Extinctioners page look now, any changes you want made?RVDDP2501 15:56, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
- It looks nice enough to me, but some users have noticed that it is rather long and picture heavy, and have suggested that perhaps it would be better if each main character had their own page, and that you link to them from the main article. That way each character could get a full treatment without the whole thing becoming too long to handle. --GreenReaper(talk) 17:55, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
Ok, I have pasted the e-mail in the discussion page of the Andorozon page, Please let me know it this is the correct way you told me about and regarding the Extinctioners, You would like me to make individual pages for each character, correct, if so, I would like your help with that once making the individual pages to make the main page not so long, please let me know what you think and I would greatly appreciate you assistance in doing so.RVDDP2501 18:01, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
uh, I haven't "created" a page for some time, just edited, where do I start?RVDDP2501 18:05, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
OK, I have created four pages for the first 4 characters and have saved the changes to the Extinctioners page, PLEASE let me know your opinion on the changes if they are good or badRVDDP2501 18:34, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
Extinctioners character articles
hey RVDDP2501 here, I'm just curious about what you did to the character page links, you kinda made them inactive with the change at the beginning of the link, I'm not mad, please don't think that, I just want to find out from you what was the change you wanted to make, Please I wanna make things as good as possible, ok.
- When people or characters go by more than one name, we have the article under the most commonly-used name, with mentions of the other names near the start of the article, also bolded. Each of the other names is made a redirect to the article. I've been assuming that the codenames (Vague, Copycat, and so on) are the more common names for most of the Extinctioners characters.
- I hope that's somewhat clearer! Sorry to have left broken links as I did--I've been pecking at Wikifur in snatches of time lately. -- Sine 21:58, 6 June 2006 (UTC) (Echoed to your talk page)
no problem, no problem, I totally understand, I just wasn't sure what had taken place, thank you for your reply and everything, please let me know if there is anything else I can possibly do, thank youRVDDP2501 23:00, 6 June 2006 (UTC)
Well, I've finished both the Extinctioners page and the individual character pages but some of them have a clean up not at the top, how can you clean up what little (in some cases) is there? --RVDDP2501
- Perhaps they were referring to the manner in which the text was phrased? For example, it might have been written in first-person, when third-person is more appropriate for an encyclopedia. It might also be that formatting was non-standard or that the article was not correctly categorized (we really need to get specific templates for these, right now cleanup is used for everything). You can always ask the person who put the tag on the article what their precise reasoning was. --GreenReaper(talk) 00:42, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Horizontal or vertical?
Hey listen, I'm not being a prud but someone named Dmuth has edited some of my character section (I'm not reporting the editing itself) but he caused the multiple pics the stack ontop each other in the right hand side of the screen, I've fixed mos of them, you can see the original ones he did in the jistory section, please let me know what you think of the matter, alright, thank you. --RVDDP2501
- I personally think they look better side by side in that particular case. Those pictures happen to be particularly tall, and the fact that there is little text to go with it means that a better use of the space is to have them in a row. Most WikiFur articles have a lot more text in relation to the numbers of pictures, which is why the convention is to have them at the side, or in a combination of side pictures and a gallery as you can see in The Forest.
- I'd note that he wasn't just rearranging your pictures - he also added the articles to the category created for them and removed text which had an inappropriate tone for an encyclopedia. --GreenReaper(talk) 00:42, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Thank you so much for your time and opinion, P.S. you may wanna read the next topic which also kinda concerns me.RVDDP2501 01:21, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Text copyright concerns
Heya. I've noticed that the text of Maxwell Manx (Copy Cat) looks to have come from http://www.geocities.com/extinctioners/profile_copycat.html and I assume that's similarly the case for at least some of the other character articles. Could you clarify that for me? I gather we have permission to use the character images here, but I don't remember reference to text descriptions, and I'm ever anxious about copyright concerns. -- Sine 00:29, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
I understand what you are saying but believe me, I have been given permission from Shawntae Howard himself to use both his pics and text in this and other related articles pertaining to Extinctioners, listen could you give me your e-mail address so I can forward his e-mail of him giving permission or should I talk about this with GreenReaper what should I do?RVDDP2501 01:17, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- I'd suggest copying the e-mail to the talk page of the Extinctioners article; I've seen similar things here previously. You could certainly check with GreenReaper to confirm the procedure.
- It's great that we have all this Extinctioners material to work with, and that you've been so active with it. -- Sine 02:09, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
OK, so just copy the text or is there some other secuity (Anti-Fraud) "Thing" I must do to place his e-mail, please let me know.RVDDP2501 02:12, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
P.S. in regards to my being so active, I guess you can thank boredom >-) I'm just playingRVDDP2501 02:17, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- All we need on the talk page (or on the Licensing section of the image pages) is something to show that a) you have asked to use the author's copyrighted works, on this website or on Wikipedia (which has similar requirements) and b) that he has said yes. This would probably be your initial request to him, and his reply. This should not a general agreement that you can write a wiki page about the topic (you could do that without asking), but something that makes it clear that you intend to use some related parts of his copyrighted works in the pages - as you say, "both his pics and text". That is the thing that requires permission, because it is his right to allow copies of his work on this site (or not to allow them, as he sees fit).
- If you have previously asked for specific permission to use parts of his works rather than just writing about them, then that's fine - just put a copy of that on the page. If not, you should do so. You could point him to the wiki pages that have already been written (including some of the pictures) and ask him if that kind of use is OK. You could also invite him to look at the copyrights page, and/or to contact us directly if he has questions. --GreenReaper(talk) 05:12, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Ok, here is a cut & paste of the e-mail Shawntae Howard himself sent along with the original message I sent, here it is:
Hello. Yes, this looks fine. A little of the information on the characters probalby could use a little updating, since most of the material came from the website when I first put it up (now in the slow process of updating myself), but I have no problem with what was used for the page. THank you for your interest.
"It's an indy comc, but it's my indy comic."
Original Message -----
From: Daniel Fitzwilliam To: email@example.com Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:15 PM Subject: Creation of an Extinctioners article at Wikipedia.org
Dear Mr. Howard,
I really liked your Extinctioners website, and found it very informative and useful. I'd love to use it in Wikipedia, a collaboratively written free encyclopedia located at <http://en.wikipedia.org>. I'd like to include the images, in particular, in the article located at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinctioners>.
However, I can only do so if you are willing to release your images under a license compatible with the GNU Free Documentation license, as described by Wikipedia's copyright policy at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights>. This means that anyone will have the right to share the images, but will be required to give you full credit. You can read the license itself at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GFDL>; note that we don't use the Invariant Sections, Front-Cover Texts, or Back-Cover Texts sections.
If you agree, we will credit you for your work by noting that you are the author of the images, and provide a link to your website at <http://www.extinctioners.com/>. If you have any questions, you can email users more experienced with copyright concerns than I at <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Thank you for your time.
Yours sincerely, Daniel Fitzwilliam
Ok, hows that or have I made a huge mistake?
P.S. Shawntae Howard added his own text to the extinctioners page recently (largest text at the top of the screen) so I kinda guess that helps or am I just talking stupidness and should be more cautious in what I say?RVDDP2501 11:14, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
He also is protesting the possible deletion of the Wikipedia.org page of ExtinctionersRVDDP2501 16:28, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Say, will you be coming to this year's Anthrocon convention? I'm thinking it might actually save us all time in real if you got together with Green Reaper and/or myself in real life and we kicked around ideas for making the articles about the Extinctioners characters more presentable. --Giza 03:28, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- Sadly thats not possible, I live in BarbadosRVDDP2501 10:41, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- REALLY, WOW, they are truely devoted, I given credit where credit is due, AUSTRALIA!!, DAMN.RVDDP2501 16:33, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- Heh. I don't know if I'd use the word "devoted". I'm just saying that you don't necessarily need to live in the continental USA to attend. It's not unheard of for people to do room sharing to cut down on costs and the like as well. --Giza 18:05, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Fair enough, fair enough, see what you mean but sadly it will conflict with my work shedule, hey listen, could you look back up the page about Text copyright concerns and tell me if I have dealt with the matter concerning text copy right cause I pasted an e-mail Shawntae Howard sent me in reply to my creating the Wikipedia Extinctioners page and I a)am not sure if that e-mail clears the situation and b)as to how do I paste it (without trouble) in the articles discussion page, could you please tell what you think, thank you.RVDDP2501 20:36, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
Scarlet Ann Starfox page
Hey Sine, could you clean up the Scarlet Ann Starfox (Extinctioners) page like the other character pages? I'm not as good as you in that departmentRVDDP2501 20:22, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
- Sure. I've tidied up the statistics (lowercasing things), added in some appearance information, and put in a new section heading or three. I've left the cleanup tag on there for now, for a couple of reasons. The tone of the text seems a bit chatty but I don't know enough to confidently edit it, and also the article seems pic-heavy. In particular, I http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Image:Scarlet.jpg is similar to a couple of the others, and I think it's redundant with them. Is there a particular reason for that image? Deleting it would tidy the article up a bit, I think. -- Sine 22:40, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
Hi there, thanks for welcoming me here. As you said I could ask you questions, I will start out with one ^^: How do you properly reply to a personal discussion page comment? Is this the way? I sure hope it is ^^.
Thanks again! \\ Kuzzy
Extinctioners at Answers.com
Hey GreenReaper, RVDDP2501 here, I just found an Extinctioners page (flawed) at Answer.com I told them about the problems and changes they could make, it looks like an original version I had at wikipedia.org (I guess they hadn't checked for updated versions) I also told them about Wikifurs version, they haven't replied yet, so what do you think - http://www.answers.com/topic/extinctioners, I mean I can't believe how my pages are spreading, you know. - RVDDP2501 19:48, 20 June 2006 (UTC)
- They are apt to taking the contents of Wikipedia, aren't they? They do that for a lot of other articles as well - it is an automated system. I doubt they will add WikiFur to their list, though it's always a possibility. They will probably update from Wikipedia over the next few months. --GreenReaper(talk) 19:55, 20 June 2006 (UTC)
Hey GreenReaper, thanks a whole lot with the list improvement, seriously, thanks, if there is any other ideas on how to make the page(s) better, by all mean, do what you think is right. - RVDDP2501 02:01, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
- Of course. In this case I just thought it could be a little more compact before I linked it as our comic of the week. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 02:04, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
"comic of the week"? really!, this is just about the comic or the page as well? I don't quite fully understand what you mean? please let me know, thanks - RVDDP2501 02:08, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
- Look at the bottom left of the front page. Our comics of the week can be based on various criteria, but in this case I featured it because of the extensive coverage on WikiFur. --GreenReaper(talk) 02:11, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
oh, ok, I see it, sorry about that, listen I wanna ask you opinion and/or permission on something, I was planning on creating a page for a Extinctioners character called Krystin deviantart.com but I was not sure if you and/or Wikifur would approve of the pic of the character which IS a bit mature, I did an edit though in which I put a black back covering the "chest area", do you want me to upload the censored pic without making the caracter page for you to look at and decide as to whether or not it would be appropriate to make the page with the pic? - RVDDP2501 02:17, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
- Go ahead and upload the original, if it is appropriate for the character. WikiFur is not censored for minors. --GreenReaper(talk) 02:58, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
Ok, I just uploaded the pic of Krystin, the pic name is Image:Extinctioners_cast_Krystin.jpg, please let me know what you think and if I should go ahead with this character's page, thank you - RVDDP2501 03:09, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
Deletion of Krystin pic
Listen, thanks a whole lot for removing the nude pic of Krystin, I got an e-mail from Shawntae Howard saying he would prefer I not use that pic of Krystin due to it being so mature, he said he would send me another one to use in time, so until then, I uploaded another version of the same pic only now with a black bar covering her chest, ok, thank you so much for nemoving those pics, I couldn/t figure out how to do it. (God, I hope I haven't pissed him off) - RVDDP2501 21:46, 28 June 2006 (UTC)
- I only posted a notice about it being a duplicate - GreenReaper was the one who actually deleted the picture. ^^ Spaz Kitty
- No problem. For future reference, you can always overwrite an image with a newer one by uploading a file and specifying the same destination filename, although deleting it entirely requires an administrator (and it is currently an irreversible operation). --GreenReaper(talk) 22:16, 28 June 2006 (UTC)
I though that was what i had done, I guess I messed up, I'm sorry to do that to you - RVDDP2501 22:18, 28 June 2006 (UTC)
- I think you did, too - I saw the original had a black bar on it, but perhaps you didn't notice, because soon after you uploaded a (Censored) version as well. Spaz Kitty
- I think I know what happened - you uploaded it, but didn't force a refresh by going directly to the image file (not the image page) and pressing Ctrl+F5. Your computer still thought that the image was valid, as it had it cached, so it showed the uncensored version. It's often a problem for new wiki founders who add logos, as it looks like it's not changing, even though it is. --GreenReaper(talk) 22:23, 28 June 2006 (UTC)
- It's not a problem, no need to apologize. =3 Spaz Kitty
thanks, listen I spoke with some of my friends about what happened and they told me strongly that I should use a head shot until I get something more "friendly" so I uploaded a head shot, is this ok with you? - RVDDP2501 11:06, 29 June 2006 (UTC)
- You're asking the wrong person. I'm not an admin here, heh. Check with GreenReaper or another admin about it - though I'm sure there won't be any issues. Spaz Kitty 20:37, 29 June 2006 (UTC)
Hi, I saw your post at my page. Sorries for taking so long in response, I have been having a hectic time IRL. Thanks for checking up on me. I did watch your article "Extinctioneers" (both here and on Wikipedia). Nice work! And congrats on it becoming "Comic of the Week!"
I'm doing just fine, but I need to get more active here. When my time permits I am going to get around to writing some usefull stuff here. I got a few neat ideas already. Thanks again for sharing and caring!