This is an archive page, covering general talk on my user talk page from the foundation of WikiFur to 10 September 2005. Please do not edit this page - if you wish to bring up a topic, copy the relevant portion into a new section on the current page. Thanks! --GreenReaper(talk)
I can't say anything about if I'll be adding things regularly, but I will when I have time/ideas. As for nationstates, its neat to encounter another head of state no? I run The Union of Tinis which is part of the Furry Federation. --Izixs
- 1 Welcomes
- 2 Blue Forest enties
- 3 More stylistic suggestions
- 4 Stylebook
- 5 Keep, Merge, Delete
- 6 Hi!
- 7 Boiler Plate Text
- 8 Troll
- 9 Delete Craziness
- 10 Signed up for WikiFur!
- 11 Search Image
- 12 Editing etiquette
- 13 Movie characters
- 14 Personal-article Template
- 15 Quick Response
- 16 Statistics
- 17 AWFR input
- 18 Two Speedy Deletes
- 19 Um, Hi....
- 20 Template:Wikipedia
- 21 4chan flood
Thanks for the welcome! I've really enjoyed participating in WikiFur thus far, and I'm glad my contributions have been useful. I hope to continue to be an active participant in this community effort, and I think it's really going to be a success. ^_^ --Flynn 03:34, 10 Aug 2005 (UTC)
No problem! Great, great project. I'll be contributing more as time allows and directing others to it as well. The pro-vanity page policy is an excellent idea. --Osfer
Thanks for the welcome too. I've been having fun with this. I even have my own wiki for my comic Buddies in Big Places, so it was pretty easy to get started here. --Sethtriggs 04:25, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Just want to thank you for the friendly welcome and for all the help and advice you've given me. I'll sort it out and it will be very useful in future contributions. --Ultraviolet
Blue Forest enties
Hi! I just wanted to thank you for putting work into helping out with entries related to Blue Forest. I was plesantly surprised to see these here! I'm in the process of adding and expanding on some of them, now, and I certainly welcome any tweaking that you think needs to be done. -K.M. Hirosaki 04:47, 15 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- You're welcome! You obviously have a few loyal fans who cared enough to start them. I'll be watching, but your pages seem pretty good so far. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 04:55, 15 Aug 2005 (UTC)
More stylistic suggestions
Lord forbid, got another bother: We're getting so many dang micro articles, I think a stub-expansion template for the front might be a good idea. I've modified one of the tables to be like that in my Userpage, if you'd like to see what it looks like. I'm just excessivly reluctant to make a template without authorization, and even less wanting to add new things to the front page :) -- MelSkunk 03:04, 17 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- This isn't Wikipedia - you won't get flamed for making a template you think will be useful, or for editing the main page. Be bold! :-)
- The only suggestion I would make is removing the last entry and the - before it as that pushes it over one line for 1024x786 maximised (I've been trying to keep all the main templates that size). Other than that, it looks good to go. --GreenReaper(talk) 03:07, 17 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- I shall go forth fluffily, then! -- MelSkunk 03:12, 17 Aug 2005 (UTC)
No problem. Is there a stylebook I need to refer to? I see that there have been style changes to the page and I'd rather save somefur else the work if I can...--Fferret 19:23, 18 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- To be honest, there isn't one right now - WikiFur only really took off last saturday, and it's been such a rush that we've been figuring them out as we go along. The best guide right now is to extrapolate from existing pages and from Wikipedia. If you do things so that they look the same as similar pages, at least it's consistent. Of course, if you think you have a better way of doing it, you could change them all. Be bold! :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 19:10, 18 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Keep, Merge, Delete
In relation to an edit I did on MelSkunk's user page . . .
Hah! Man, you make funny even funnier. -- MelSkunk 00:13, 19 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for the warm welcome GreenReaper. While I only have had a little bit of experience with Wikis in general, I hope that I'll be able to contribute where I can. ^^ Ta! --Composingliger 05:53, 19 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Well, I'm sure you'll learn quickly! Thanks for getting permission for that picture of Mab. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 05:57, 19 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Hmmm... I just noticed that the templates on the front page have been locked now... Hmmm It's a bit of a catch 22 with Wikis isn't it. On one hand you WANT people to be able to maintain, update and improve on things... On the other, there's always people who just like to ruin and vandalise things. I guess it's probbaly the right thing to do, especially being the main page... But a shame that it has to be done. =/ --Composingliger 07:06, 19 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- And yes, that's OK. Amber said that it's fine to use her art for any of the related articles. --Composingliger 07:10, 19 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Boiler Plate Text
It is sooo finished @_@
Please link this where ever possible. I've improved quite a few of the templates too in the process. Made up all their connected category pages and so forth. Only thing that needs doing is the voting pages for Template:Ifd and Template:SpeedyDelete. I'll do those in a bit, using Wikipedia as a base to work from.
I have no life, seriously. ;)
Troll running though right now: 18.104.22.168
- It's me again (Loiosh). I watch the recent changes page.
- Heh. 45 or so pages defaced over 14 minutes, all repaired in a span on 3 minutes. That's some damn nice work, folks! --Duncan da Husky 22:35, 19 Aug 2005 (UTC)
I'm worried administrators are going a bit crazy with the delete button. I'm seeing alot of Deleted articles on Recent Changes and I think the wiki could do with inforcing the Wikipedia style of deletion. That everything needs to be listed before it can be removed. You can block a vandal right away fair enough but we could end up with possible subjects of writing being discarded just because a badly written stub was made. WikiFur:Speedy_Deletion should be finished soon, you can see how far I've got right now. I really think it would be wise to tell admins to list pages at least for an hour there before removing them, just to see if anyone chips in with content. Pahapse with some policies akin to Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Deletion_guidelines_for_administrators as they generally make good sense. -Nidonocu - talk 01:45, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Umm . . . I'm not quite sure you get the point of speedy deletes. Speedy deletes are for bringing articles that deserve to be deleted immediately to the attention of admins. If they already have their attention and are deleted, then that's perfectly fine.
- If you look at the delete log, I don't agree with you that people are going crazy. Consider the "content" of the pages that are being deleted - almost all are either plain vandalism, personal attacks, or tests, all of which are valid for speedy deletion - which means deletion on site by admins, whether or not they're listed.
- What you are perhaps thinking of is VfD, which is is the process for removing articles that (generally speaking) are considered not appropriate for a wiki. And, to be honest, I haven't seen too many of them, mostly because we are far more inclusive than Wikipedia at this time. Some have been shortened, like fur, because they duplicated Wikipedia information without added value, but other than that . . . --GreenReaper(talk) 03:37, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Ah.. ok I think I see now. Its very late for me and this wiki has offically cramped by left hand with Ctrl+C/V'ing so I'll be brief. n_x; I did reflect the lack of VfD on the template page so yeah..
- Thanks anyway for dealing with all my questions and comments. Just to say would it be possible if you could at some point soon put up links to Wikifur:Boiler Plate Text where it might be useful like on Help or Community. I might write up a few 'First Time Here?' or 'First Time Wikiuser?' pages if that would be helpful. Have written my first actual article though, NorthernFurs (UK)! Woo! ^_^ I will offically stop clicking Recent Changes and close my browser now. ;) Speak to you later. -Nidonocu - talk 03:56, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Signed up for WikiFur!
GreenReaper, seeing as you already knew who I was anyway (judging by your comment to my IP number!), is there a way of reassigning those edits to my username? --Sslaxx
- I'm afraid there is no inbuilt way to transfer edits - however, I have put a note on the user page for 22.214.171.124, so that anyone who goes there will be able to see that you were the person who made them. --GreenReaper(talk) 16:34, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Hi again. I've just been wondering about the search image for WikiFur - . I think it would be nice if it were possible to drop the Wikicities logo and replace it with something of our own. Is that possible (I've noticed that the image itself was locked) or is this a perminant part of the Wikicities branding and thus unchangeable? --Composingliger 17:41, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Hi! It is indeed possible. If you have a suggested alternative, please upload it and link it on the logo ideas page, and if I and possibly others think it looks good, I'll add it in. --GreenReaper(talk) 17:44, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Well I had been considering just a simple resize of MelSkunk's logo - - as an intirim solution, or even Seth C Triggs new one. Personally I just find the Wikicities logo to be a bit ugly (and slightly confusing over the search) and think anything would be an improvement at the moment. ^^ *Yawn* Anyway ~ 4:30am! Really should go to sleep now. --Composingliger 18:06, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
First off...nice site. I will admit that I had trepidations about it at first because I could see how this could become just another place to attack each other, but I'm glad to see that stuff like that is kept firmly under control. Gave me something to do when work was slow yesterday. :)
- Oh, I knew we'd be getting that. As you say, though, these things can be managed. I don't want this site to be torn apart by personal disagreement.
Anyways...the real question I have is this. There's one article in particular that I don't think is very neutral and I would like to do a massive edit on it. I wouldn't necessarily be removing information in there, because a good portion of it is correct, but I would like to reword and rework it and include some other information to counter what's already in there. Is this acceptable or is a total rewrite of an article seen as a bad thing? Rama
- I would say just do it, and then if someone doesn't like it, they can make their own adjustments. If you are hugely concerned about it, you could write it out on that article's discussion page first, and if nobody disagrees, put it in. Up to you! --GreenReaper(talk) 00:12, 21 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Along that same line, if someone removes information from an article, is it acceptable to put it back in? Rama
- Now, that depends. :-) It is appropriate to consider what the information was and why it was removed. If, after that, you still feel the information should be present in the article, then you should put it back in. If appropriate, you might want to consider rephrasing the information in a way that means that it cannot justifiably be removed again, either by increasing the evidence supporting it or by reducing the assertion of the information.
- That's a bit vague because it depends on the information, so let me give an example - if someone said "PersonA stole and gave out stuff that wasn't his, and he sucks.", and someone else removed it, then I would change it to say "PersonA distributed pirated material belonging to PersonB during the period May 2002 - April 2003, including ThingA and ThingC, as shown at this authoritative site with evidence. Specific-group-of-people Somepeople said he sucked as a result."
Could I convince you to use [[Category:Movie characters]] instead? Trying to keep all category names plural where appropriate. I'll move the old ones, this is just for new ones. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 04:59, 21 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- No problem...it's your baby. :) Rama
Just noticed your new Personal-article Template. Would you like me to add it to the General section of Templates or Special? And is there anything I should mention about its use? --Nidonocu - talk 16:55, 21 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Already done those things, but thanks for noticing. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 17:00, 21 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Hey GreenReaper. Thanks fur the uber-quick response to fix the babyfur article after it was spammed. I must appreciate all you admins do; I imagine the articles undergo inappropriate changes like that somewhat frequently. skippyfox 08:25, 23 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- I agree...you and the rest of the admins have been great catching vandalism. I imagine we'll probably see a bit of it today since you have the babyfur article featured. Rama 03:16, 24 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- We can't edit the specialpages page, but it's linked (along with other stats links) on the about page, in the Statistics section. Perhaps there should be a link to that from the left bar (although there already is a link at the bottom, and on the first word of WikiFur Central). --GreenReaper(talk) 20:31, 24 Aug 2005 (UTC)
(Great, I finally learn to leave a message in the right place, by screwing up somebody's User Page,...Sorry, Green >.<) GreenReaper, AWFR entry has been rewritten. Honest opinion?,... Spirou 22:38, 28 Aug 2005 (Pacific Time)
Two Speedy Deletes
I was just checking through the All Pages listing for the WikiFur: namespace and it appears we have two Speedy Delete pages. WikiFur:Speedy Deletion (my own) and WikiFur:Speedy deletion created by Almafeta (the curse of case sensitivity strikes again). What should can be done about the latter one? --Nidonocu - talk 00:35, 29 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- You can merge the two together and make one redirect to the other. Personally, I'd prefer the name "Speedy deletion", as that goes with all the other policies and guidelines, and in fact with most of the pages on WikiFur. Maybe it's just striking for you because you've been regularly using too many caps. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 00:40, 29 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Merge and updates complete, I've saved the instructions and the facts regarding empty articles needing deleting from the little d page, however copyright violations aren't exactly SpD material so I've removed that. If we start having many of them, I might make a copyright warning template if required asking people to rewrite it without copyright infringement. Also, all templates, template listing and other links are updated, old page will remain as redirect just in case. --Nidonocu - talk 14:48, 29 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Moved from User: page - was a response to a conversation elsewhere
Depends on where they were posted, and if I still had the chars in their 'original form'. I actually wrote those close to a year ago XD.
I *did* remove the references, and as far as I know, only one Public Site has the non-edited copy. The others are all 'Safe', at least with regards to copyright.
I'm a little curious as to where you saw the stories in question.. Yes, I know the Author doesn't like this sort of thing, but I myself only found out his personal opinion... what, Shortly before Fur Affinity went down? A year ago, I had no idea, and I was just starting to write. --TwoTailedFox 19:07, 3 Sep 2005 (UTC)
With your permission, I'd like to use a verison of this template at the Interlingua wikipedia, for articles that are translated. (I know the GFDL means you don't have to ask about anything anymore, but I still like to show people common curtosy by asking first...) Almafeta 15:19, 7 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- I'm fine with that. I think we copied ours from Wikicities, anyway. ;-) --GreenReaper(talk) 19:49, 7 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- Thank you! :) Almafeta 20:37, 7 Sep 2005 (UTC)
They've got a Thread going As of now where they continue to attack. I am trying to derail them by convincing em its useless but they won't stop... Suggest protect or lock on the site with your last main message on