User talk:CarlFox/2005 Archive
Heya, and welcome to Wikifur. :) Almafeta 20:54, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks, this should be interesting... :) Carl Fox 21:18, 20 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Carl, the reason I created a (mostly blank) entry for Herbie Bearclaw was to make it clear that the entry is intentioanlly left blank. If we deleted it, any links to that page would bring up the editing screen, and the process would begin anew. Having a placeholder like that is how this sort of thing is done on Wikis. --Dmuth 02:23, 22 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the clarification. I went ahead and removed the SpeedyDelete template.
- Is there any way we can lock the entry from there? Carl Fox 02:41, 22 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the help. I'll get this Wiki thing down yet. :) Carl Fox
Hey there. I just noticed you've created a Redirect article to your user page. While we don't mind people having articles about themselves, we prefer it if articles in the main space really are true articles, while your User Page can contain whatever you wish and be written in whatever style you want. Even if its just the same information as your user page by written in the true wiki style (nutral view, third person, etc), that would be ok. We just prefer it to having a Redirect to your user page, as you can write whatever you wanted here. You can still link to your user page from your article, just use the Contributor template that you can find here (second from the bottom); and to link to the article on your user page, use the ContributorU template listed here (third down). If you need any more help, just ask me on my talk page. :) Happy Editing --Nidonocu - talk 01:26, 28 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- That's fine. I'll work something up shortly, and make the appropriate changes. I just wanted something out there, since I'm referenced in a couple of places already. Carl Fox 02:43, 28 Aug 2005 (UTC)
Wanted and New sections
Thanks for helping to keep the Wanted and New sections on the front page up to date! It's a nice help - I'm always meaning to get around to them, but there's always something else more important going on like someone emailing me about how I suck and they have to get me off the wiki or they'll sue. :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 03:21, 31 Aug 2005 (UTC)
User Page Templates
Hi there. I noticed you've been placing alot of the User page templates, on other people's user pages and well, while it is technically ok to edit other people's user pages. The same as any wiki page, you should only do so if you have a good reason. The user page templates are optional and its up to the user's the pages belong to if them want them or not. Likewise, IP users don't really have content filled user pages normally so its not required for them either. --Nidonocu - talk 11:04, 17 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- Well...I was dropping the template on those user pages that were popping up on the Wanted Pages list, to clean it up a bit. I'll take your comment above as the admins don't want me doing that, and won't anymore. Carl Fox 14:02, 17 Sep 2005 (UTC)
Oh, the drama...
Is it just me, or is there a lot more drama than usual going on today? Maybe I'm being more greymuzzly than usual, but I find it awfully silly for this much bruhaha to be made over an encyclopedia site. Carl Fox 02:21, 23 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- That just shows it's important to people. Which is good, theoretically. ;-) --GreenReaper(talk) 06:25, 27 Sep 2005 (UTC)
Rule of thumb for stubs. (Gee, that sounds wrong... :)
Anyway...how long does an article have to be before it's not a stub anymore? I usually drop the stub templates on articles I create that I feel need more information...even if I've gotten a couple of paragraphs worth already.
Any general guideline, or just go with what sounds right? Carl Fox 05:36, 27 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- I'd say you've pretty much got it there - if there's obviously a lotn more that "needs" to be said, but you can't say it, or don't have time to right now, it's a stub. Maybe a section stub, although we don't exactly have those yet. --GreenReaper(talk) 06:25, 27 Sep 2005 (UTC)
. . .
From my reading of it, FurCon's Press policy does not apply to WikiFur; this is an encyclopedia, not a news site. That strikes me as akin to making a legal threat, to be honest. Carl Fox 04:52, 30 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- Things were made somewhat more explicit on IRC. I'm not particularly worried about the possibility, as I'm fairly sure no law is even close to being broken, and if push really comes to shove, I have some money. What depresses me is how the threats were made before talking it out on the talk pages. I am not used to the concept of threatening to send out a cease and desist as the first response when people do something you don't want. Given the person's background in having to prosecute cases of piracy of their work, perhaps it is partially understandable, but still . . .
- Wikipedia apparently gets legal threats every week. I knew we might have "problems" when I founded WikiFur, but I had hoped we would be able to go for three months without one. :-p --GreenReaper(talk) 05:29, 30 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- It's all part of "teh drama", as the hip kids refer to it. Most threats to sue in fandom are an attempt to intimidate; most fen can't afford to deal with a lawsuit, after all. Awfully immature of the gent to threaten to sue before talking it out, in my opinion. Carl Fox 05:44, 30 Sep 2005 (UTC)
Welcome to WikiFur:Administrators!
You may notice a few new tabs along the top, and some other changes around the site in relation to user blocking, rollbacks and the like. I suggest you look over this page if you're not familiar with how to use them. Hopefully you won't need them much, but they're there for when you do. Use them wisely! :-) --GreenReaper(talk) 01:22, 20 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- Umm...wow. Thanks. I'll do my best. :) Carl Fox 05:22, 20 Oct 2005 (UTC)
Re: The Bunnyhaven
I have moved this discussion to Talk:The Bunnyhaven. Whether or not a page is removed, the talk page should remain the appropriate place to talk about unless there's an overriding reason not to. --GreenReaper(talk) 16:00, 9 Dec 2005 (UTC)
- Understood. Thanks for the clarification. Carl Fox 03:46, 10 Dec 2005 (UTC)