The Secret Herds
The Secret Herds is a collection of animal stories by Joyce Stranger, illustrated by Douglas Reay. It was "First published in Great Britain by J. M. Dent & Sons, Ltd, 1974." In 1976 Tandem Publishing Ltd published a paperback with the ISBN 042611017X.
The stories in the collection are:
- Snow on Low Ground (about a male otter, Shala)
- One Perfect Day (an old man's day watching wildlife)
- The Secret Herds (an eagle and wildcat both desperate for prey)
- The Wild Horses (in pre-Roman Britain, a boy, Edda, is the first to tame animals)
- The Peregrine (a boy finds a strayed tame Peregrine falcon)
- Terror on the Hill (Red Rufus, a grown male red fox)
- The Outcast ("the story of a rare creature—a hummel—a stag that never grows antlers")
- Storm (a mother seal's attempt to protect her newborn from the force of a storm)
- Shadows on the Hillside (a wildcat's first litter)
- Fire in the Forest
- Stranger, Joyce. The Secret Herds. London: Tandem Publishing Ltd, 1976.
- Ibid p. 95