The Grizzwells is drawn by American cartoonist Bill Schorr. The strip began in 1987, and is published online as well as being syndicated to print newspapers. It was originally syndicated through the Newspaper Enterprise Association (part of United Media), before a distribution deal was struck with Universal Uclick in 2011.
When he created The Grizzwells, Schorr wanted to do a simple family-oriented strip: "Since human characters dominate most of my editorial cartoons, I didn't want to draw them in my strip as well. My younger daughter has been collecting bears forever and she thought bears would be perfect subject matter."
The main characters of The Grizzwells are:
- Gunther Grizzwell, the head of the Grizzwell family. He is a slacker and ransacker with an appetite for just about anything that moves (though he rarely does himself).
- Pierpoint, Gunther's annoying porcupine sidekick. He is a ball of confusion, woes, paranoia, and endless, mindless chatter.
- Flora Grizzwell, Gunther's loving, patient, understanding, and caring wife. She is the one creature he fears.
- Tucker Grizzwell, Gunther and Flora's son. He is not exactly fierce grizzly material yet.
- Fauna Grizzwell, Gunther and Flora's daughter. She is heavily into pop culture, fashions, and music. (in short, a stereotypical teen girl)
- Warren, a self-possessed and self-absorbed rabbit. He is a self-styled "ladies man" and a fount of useless romantic advice for Pierpoint.
- Jasmine, another porcupine and the object of Pierpoint's desire. She has never met a heart she didn't want to break, and secretly enjoys crushing Pierpoint's futile attempts at flirtation.
- The Grizzwells overview on univeraluclick.com. Retrieved April 22, 2013
- "Universal Uclick to Provide Syndicate Services for United Media" - article on prnewswire.com. Dated February 24, 2011. Retrieved April 22, 2013
- The Grizzwells cast on universaluclick.com. Retrieved April 22, 2013
- The Grizzwells on gocomics.com
|This stub about a comic could be .|