Yeah, did you ever stop to think that maybe Seel doesn't want her personal info online? Personally as one of her close friends I find it rather creepy, it's a major invasion of personal space.
- As a wiki that documents members and people of the furry fandom, we write about what ever publically avalible information exists about the person and any other personal details they wish to provide if they so choose. If the information exists here then it must of already been avalible in a public place just as a public LiveJournal post by them or their website, etc.
- We do of course understand that some people don't want to be written about, and that is why we have our exclusion of information policy, however this policy can only be activated by the exact person in question. They themselves will need to contact a member of the WikiFur Administrators or leave a note here requesting the article be removed or locked to their control depending.
- Oh f--k... they're pissed at ME.
- I'm not "close" to Seel, but I have done art for her and talked to her on occasion, and there's nothing here that's not on DeviantArt or her other galleries; for example, in one some of her DA journals she mentioned her dad and moving, but I can see now how it is jarring to find someone has bothered to... umm... encyclopedia-ize a living person's life.
- I do think it would be better practice to simply sketch a person's bare details (name they sign works with) and focus more on the art (or whatever they are known for) until it has been considered "sufficiently", preferably by being previewed ^^;
- I shall follow such a practice when contributing further to prevent such unsettlements. However, I will leave what I have added as-is, as public reference for this discussion, to be as candid as possible.
- Please note I am withholding my DA URL until I know I won't get flamed... because I'm paranoid now that I've remembered I'm on the internet too ;3
- --BennuTeomabar 03:11, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
- I'm not mad at you and I don't want to flame you, I'm not immature, and I most certainly do not see the need to argue about this topic anymore since we (excluding you) have had closure already thus ending all need for further explanation or censored swears :), which I do believe have no place censored or not in a mature conversation such as this one.
- And for the books I did not get linked her by Bloo, I got linked here by someone who shared the same views as myself on ths whole matter. (along with Seel who's proposed to do nothing but is still highly creeped out herself): —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 17:21, 30 June 2006 (UTC)
- I had just returned from a long trip, and should have rested before doing anything.
- I took some time to consider things and decide to make some edits that are more privacy oriented.
- I said too much earlier, so I'll stop now.
- --BennuTeomabar 04:18, 1 July 2006 (UTC)
Thank you, I understand what you mean by the public information but for it all to be collected in one specific area is rather dangerous to the person in question's safety (such as her location). My personal opinion about this site is that it gives out information about someone without contacting them first about it. If you're going to submit information like this (you or anyone else on the internet) you should first contact the person in question BEFORE posting this up asking permission, it's a violation of their rights of privacy (no matter how 'public' the information they gave out was) if you don't. For people to collect this information that like and post it without permission is just wrong in my opinion. Sorry if you don't agree, I'll contact seel about this and give her the links, thank you for your time.
- My own personal view on the particular content of this article is that while information about her views on her family might be considered personal enough to remove, things in this case such as her location are so generic that it would be quite hard to pinpoint. Without say a photograph of myself, it would be quite hard to find me even though I freely state on my own page exactly what city I live in. Virginia is quite large so I have to disagree with you on that point that such information could be dangerous.
- On topic though, the debate of contacting people before writing about them I believe has been held before here and overall our WikiFur:Personal_information page detailed what the general outcome of those discussions were. It meant we'd actually have to go actively digging for contact details which often are far more guarded than general information about people. Those wishing to be invisible tend to be in the minority so we decided on the write first, clean up later method as its sort of the wiki way. :) It would be impossible to police all in coming edits to see if the person writing them had permission or was the person themselves.
- Either way, I hope this particular matter can be sorted out agreeably. --Nidonocu - talk 20:52, 23 June 2006 (UTC)
- Actually, to once again mention her DA journal, which btw -anyone- can see, not just DA members, she has mentioned where she lives. I totally understand having someone talk about person X "behind their back".
- however, I -only- included things that she has stated publically, just like you would if writing about any "public" figure. It was my understanding that the audience would be generally anthro/furry art fans, and that the generally public would actually be less likely to wander in the Furry Wiki than DeviantArt, which has many styles of art.
- Altho I can see being worried that some anti-furry group might consider it a gold mine...
- --BennuTeomabar 03:11, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
There would be no need to actively dig around for details if the information wasn't posted to begin with :). If you didn't wish to be active with the person in question why would you bother posting personal information? I disagree with your method and this site as well but I also understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion. As it seems we have two highly different opinions though, it's really going to be useless to argue about this since I obviously can't change the way you feel nor shall you change my thoughts. I also disagree with your philosphy on location and how easy it is to find someone just by the use of their state in coordination with their last name, but we will leave it at that. You can understand though that I am only trying to look out for a very close friend while she cannot defend herself at the moment, I hope you don't take any of this as a personal attack. I appreciate your informative responces to my questions and comments.
- The problem again is that we are freely-editable encyclopedia. This means that anyone can edit for any reason at any time, we on purpose don't control that. A random person could find a new furry artist, pop on to Wikifur and create a stub about them (which I think is how this article was first created). This then snowballs as people look at the stub, find out more about a person and add little facts. Of course we understand the need to protect people, but everyone has a public and a private side and we aim to get the right balance inside the articles. Lets see how this goes anyway. ^_^ --Nidonocu - talk 22:39, 23 June 2006 (UTC)
- If it came down to posting addresses, we'd probably draw the line there, unless they were posted by the person concerned. Ultimately we can't tell whether or not another person has permission to post particular items of information, or how the person concerned feels about that information being public, so we have to make best guesses as to what is reasonable information to post. We are generally liberal with those guesses, because we are an open community that it used to not hiding things away.
- We will usually respect the wishes of those that prefer to keep somewhat more private, once they are made clear to us in person. A few times people have asked us to hide things that we felt would entail an unreasonable expectation of privacy and we have refused, or granted their request only in part. This usually comes into play when they do something that is very public and negative which is "common knowledge", or when their name (and no alternate name) is associated with the creation of something like a comic. For example, it is rather silly to expect people to take your requests for privacy seriously when you are pirating the works of multiple furry fandom artists. This kind of situation is rare. --GreenReaper(talk) 09:19, 24 June 2006 (UTC)
- OK, here the problem is... I take down everything "personal"... But since it aims to be a proper encyclopedia, I must reference sources... in this case her websites, where the information could be found and re-added anyway... remember, NOTHING we've said in private is here. That, though, is because I have standards (I just don't shut up sometimes), and as Nidonocu said, anyone can edit the article unless it is specially prevented.
- The step-mother bit is nothing we ever talked about; I only included it because I saw it in one of the journals and it sounded like one of those psychology things the History Channel likes to make shows around -cough-
- Obviously, since the Internet is so... f--ked up, I'll need to adhere to the strictest standard possible... like just saying "Seel is an artist, here's a gallery"... which is rather bland, but...
- Oh, and not saying f--k all the time. That might help.
- --BennuTeomabar 03:11, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
Alright :), I just have one question. Why create an encyclopedia for furry artists?
- Its not just furry artists, its everything furry. ;) Check out this section about our purpose and the things that link off it. :) What WikiFur is and What WikiFur is not. --Nidonocu - talk 23:05, 23 June 2006 (UTC)
- Yeah - artists are one part of the furry community, and so they are covered. I assume you got here from Bluefreak's dA post? She just happened to link to the artists category, which is just a subcategory of Category:People. Even that is just a fraction of the stuff that is on here about the furry fandom. --GreenReaper(talk) 08:59, 24 June 2006 (UTC)
- I decided to add artists that I thought are cool and should get publicity... tho for their art o.o; I just tried to say something about them to put the art in context, make them more than just a name :)
- Which I succeeded spectacularly at it seems D:
- --BennuTeomabar 16:34, 26 June 2006 (UTC)
Romper the Rhino
- Unsure what went on, but I assume it's because it seems like Larathen added the Romper section to the article to pimp himself. That's how I would percieve it, anyways. Either way, if the Romper section is to stay, it needs some work on getting more images from the original artist and some sections need to be made for Seel's other minor characters as well.
- Personally, I think a section with "Other Characters" is perfectly fine, considering Seel has a couple of minor characters like Romper. I do think that Romper does not deserve his own section, though. 188.8.131.52 04:28, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
- Oh, and Seel is curious as to why Romper has his own section in her article. Also why it is larger than the rest of her article. Just passing the message along, don't shoot the messenger! 184.108.40.206 04:34, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
- I will delete the data, but normally, characters/fursonas belonging to a user reside in their article. If that section is larger than the users, it can be left as it, trim the character/fursona section, or add to the user's section of the article - Spirou 05:00, 23 February 2009 (UTC)