Technically, it wasn't that Philadelphia didn't have hotels that were too small, rather that any large venue (like the convention center in Center City) were union controlled. The problem with unions here in Philly is that they are awful to deal with. They expect that you will use their services and only their services. They would have refused to let us use our own volunteers for normal con things and instead would charge us their outraegous rates on services. They were also unwilling to negotiate on that matter.
We were very lucky at the Adam's Mark, because they were not union controlled. --Dmuth 18:39, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
I removed the staff list from the page for the following reasons:
- Staff is normally not finalized until 1-2 months before the convention, and even then there can be changes at the last minute.
- Having an incorrect or outdated list here can lead to general confusion. Case in point, I was rather surprised to see someone other than SimbaLion listed as being in charge of AV.
I think it would be more accurate and a better use of everyone's time if the staff list was not posted until the conclusion of the con, at which point it could just be copied out of the conbook. --Dmuth 23:00, 2 March 2006 (UTC)
- I based some of it on what I beleive are norms for every convention i have been to so far. While this varies year by year, the one difference this year is that Zannah has told me in a conversation that she is in the AV list (so far, but not the head of AV). --Markus 23:15, 2 March 2006 (UTC)
- Actualy, I'm going to disagree with you on this one, Giza. At the very least, perhaps department heads could be listed - those aren't going to change between now and July. I agree, though, that listing every single person who is on staff is not a good idea, for the reasons you state. Too often, conventions are seen as faceless, monolithic organizations - I think listing at least the department heads helps put a face on the convention and shows that it is indeed the sum of the people who comprise it.--Duncan da Husky 01:46, 3 March 2006 (UTC)
- I have no problem if department heads are listed. That's only about 9 people anyway and, as you mentioned, unlikely to change. :-P --Dmuth 03:29, 3 March 2006 (UTC)
- Okie-doke. I'll put in what I can recall from memory. Please fill in anything I missed.--Duncan da Husky 17:00, 3 March 2006 (UTC)
Notes to consider intergrating into the article
So far at last count, members registered to attend the convention has been counted to a total of 2409 people, and is probably still growing. This should be mentioned in the article when a final count is made and released. Of course, it will be edited a good bit after the convention ends. Should help a good bit. --184.108.40.206 19:15, 17 June 2006 (UTC) (Markus)
The latest update includes the following:
- Pre-registered attendance counts topped at 2,498 people. On site registrations and one day passes both totaled to over 15,000 approximate.
I suspect the latter figure to be a typo that more likely should be 1,500. Can anyone confirm? --mwalimu 19:48, 20 June 2006 (UTC)
- The numbers were sort of right, but the details surrounding them were wrong. I corrected. --Douglas Muth 20:01, 20 June 2006 (UTC)
Notable appearances at the con
I disagree that Tanidareal and Xianjaguar are "noteable" appearances based on the sole criteria of it being their first Anthrocon. If we used that criteria, hundreds of people would have to be listed. I think a better criteria for "noteable" appearances would be people who were specifically mentioned in our website, fliers, and/or other promotional material. That's my 2 cents on the matter. --Douglas Muth 15:10, 21 June 2006 (UTC)
- Your point being? Exactly as you put it, they're already mentioned on AC website. Wiki is supposedly to capitalize on the knowledge of simple folk to add little items that are not available "officially". As of "notability", I'd assume everyfur who has a wiki page here is notable (otherwise somebody wouldn't bother to create such page in the first place... I'm not "notable", by that criteria. :-b ) -- Wesha 18:18, 21 June 2006 (UTC)