Starblade Enkai, also known as Starblade Riven Darksquall (real name Matthew Paul Finnigan; May 12, 1984 - September 22, 2010), was a Dragon otherkin who became notorious as the inspiration for the FYIAD ("Fuck you, I'm a dragon") meme that began with his post to the "debate" LiveJournal community on otherkin and draconity. An autistic or Asperger's Syndrome-afflicted person who extensively posted to various communities, he was an ongoing student at Monterey Peninsula College at the time of his death.
 Fandom involvement
According to various sources, Finnigan started to use alt.fan.dragons around 1998, posting under various names such as Talbain Nova, Starblade Riven Darksquall and Starblade Darkstar due to repeatedly accruing disrepute. He mostly ceased to post to the newsgroup around 2005.
In 2003, Starblade posted a topic to the debate community on LiveJournal in which he criticized detractors of his belief in what he called "Otherkinism" and his own self-perception as a spiritual dragon. The resulting debate, attracting mostly detractors or outsiders to discussion of the otherkin subculture, resulted in what became known as "Fuck You I'm a Dragon!" (FYIAD), which has become a byword for any overly-reactive defense of a seemingly-improbable self-assessment.
During the early 2000s, he also played in the Alfandria MUCK, an otherkin-oriented MUCK which eventually shut down in 2007.
On September 22, 2010 at 2:10 AM PST, police responded to the report of a violent incident at an apartment complex in the 800 block of Casanova Street in Monterey, California; there, Starblade was found with a wound resulting from being stabbed at least once in the upper torso. A friend, James Torrey Hill, was initially arrested at the scene on charges of attempted murder. Starblade was then transported to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, where he was pronounced dead at 7 a.m. PST. While an autopsy was performed on Starblade, Hill's bail was then set at USD$1 million.
At the September 23 arraignment, Hill, defended by the Monterey County Public Defender's Office, pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder.
After interviewing acquaintances of Starblade, Starblade's parents, and the accused, a student journalist covered the case for a CSU Northridge magazine. A PDF of CSUNScene is available online, and the article is published on the author's personal blog "FenceHopper" as well.
 Background on Hill
James Torrey Hill (b. c. 1989), a native of Los Alamos, New Mexico, was a student at Monterey Peninsula College, and lived in an apartment building near Finigan's apartment. The two were both students at the college and had initially met a year prior through the College Living Experience, a program which supports students with learning disabilities.
Starblade's murder elicited a widely-divergent range of emotion within and without the fandom. Arcturus, who had personally interacted with Starblade, posted a journal to his Fur Affinity account which resulted in user condemnation and a suspension by Fur Affinity staff, while Palshife (a former user of Alfandria, a MUD which both he and Starblade had used in the early 2000s before relations soured between the two and the MUD shut down) posted to his LiveJournal a critically-damning appraisal of Starblade's actions and behavior towards others, even though he expressed condemnation of Arcturus' journal post.
- ↑ Matthew Paul Finnigan's obituary in the Monterey Herald. Dated September 29 to October 1, 2010. Retrieved October 6, 2010
- ↑ Starblade 2003-10-17 15:41:00. Beliefs.. debate community, Livejournal.com.
- ↑ F*ck you! I'm a Dragon!. Internet Meme Database/Know Your Meme.
- ↑ Lt. Leslie F. Sonné September 22, 2010 3:30 PM. Monterey Man Arrested for Homicide. Monterey Police Department.
- ↑ Sunita Vijayan September 24, 2010. Monterey man pleads not guilty in friend's death. The Californian.
- ↑ Carol A. Clark Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm. Los Alamos man pleads not guilty to murder in California. Los Alamos Monitor.
- ↑ Arcturus 2010-10-03. ?. Fur Affinity. “"and I can't help but be every so slightly amused.
Starblade, aka Matthew Finnegan, was murdered by a friend, according to news.
Being as someone who gave me a lot of shit, I can't help being a little happy. Even if they're dead, I can't say that I'm sad.
- gets more dewatches ooo*”
- ↑ gusty 2010-10-03 16:23:00. Starblade of "Fuck you, I'm a dragon!" fame stabbed to death.. LiveJournal.
- ↑ Palshife 2010-10-03 00:20:00. R.I.P. Starblade. LiveJournal.
- Why is there evil? How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? - Starblade Enkai on LiveJournal
- starblade on Fur Affinity