From WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia.
| Sonic the Hedgehog
|| 15 (born 3222), Age 0 (1976,3222), Age 15 (1991,3229),
||Place of birth
|| Mobotropolis, Mobius
Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Sonikku za Hejjihoggu), trademarked Sonic The Hedgehog, is a video game character and the hero of the video game series released by Sega, as well as numerous spin-off comics, cartoons and books. The first game in the franchise was released on June 23, 1991 in order to provide Sega with a mascot to rival Nintendo's flagship character Mario. Since then, Sonic has become one of the world's best-known video game characters, with his series having sold millions of copies. In 2005, Sonic was one of the first game character inductees into the Walk of Game, alongside Mario and Link.
Artist Naoto Ōshima, designer Hirokazu Yasuhara and programmer Yuji Naka are generally credited with the creation of the character, a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog, who has the ability to run faster than the speed of sound. This is a major part of the gameplay of the series.
- ↑ Kent, Steven. "Chapter 23", The Ultimate History of Video Games: The Story Behind the Craze that Touched our Lives and Changed the World. Roseville, California: Prima Publishing, 428. ISBN 0-7615-3643-4. “the "t" in Sonic the Hedgehog is capitalized. Sega marketing wizard Al Nilsen had the "the" registered as Sonic's middle name.”
- ↑ Kennedy, Sam. The Essential 50: Sonic the Hedgehog. 1up.com. Retrieved on 2006-06-03.
- ↑ Davis, Cameron and Shoemaker, Brad The History of SOnic the Hedgehog, GameSpot, Accessed June 16, 2008
- ↑ Sega Announces Sonic's charge onto the Wii Console. Sega of America. Retrieved on 2006-06-17.
- ↑ Walk of Game 2005 inductees. Retrieved on 2008-04-02.
- ↑ Horowitz, Ken. Sega Stars: Yuji Naka. Sega-16. Retrieved on 2006-06-20.
- ↑ Matte, Jared. Sonic Encyclopaedia: Sonic the Hedgehog. The GHZ. Retrieved on 2006-02-17.