- Owner: Arcturus
- Founders: Arcturus, Mellis, Kiba, Cookie, Cbee
- Administrators: Arcturus, Mellis, Kiba
- Ran from/to:
- December 1st, 2006 - January 7th, 2007 (hacked)
- January 14th, 2007 - January 2007
Policies and content
With the exception of the new name, logo, ownership change, and front page disclaimer, Sidechan was virtually identical in both policies and content to Lulz, preferring a hands-off self-regulated feel, with as little moderator action as possible (in contrast with Fchan, which employs heavy protection of the Do Not Post list and anti-trolling/anti-flaming protection via the moderation team).
Hosting changes and legal issues
On May 19, 2006  Sidechan.net was relocated overseas to a German hosting service. However, this may result in Sidechan violating German law which does not allow access to pornographic/indecent material without proper age verification.
On January 7th, 2007, Sidechan was hacked by someone posting by the name "jihad", and all of the boards were wiped clean of their content, with an advertisement for lulz.net popping up on /furi/ before the entire site went down completely. Since that time, Cho0b has taken some responsibility for the attack at Crush! Yiff! Destroy!, and various other places.
The site was not returned to functionality until January 10th, 2007, because the entirety of the site's administration was on vacation during the attack, and did not have access to computers at that time. The current incarnation of the site was not fully operational at that time, as the administration was using the opportunity to start the site anew to test some added functionality.
As of January 2007, Sidechan is permanently offline. All personnel and assets were moved to their new image board, e621.
- "Whoever, in relation to pornographic writings offers, displays, posts, presents or otherwise makes them accessible at a place accessible to persons under eighteen years of age, or into which they can see; shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than one year or a fine." from Criminal Code (Strafgesetzbuch, StGB)
- "In digital medias offers from sentence 1 are valid, if the service provider takes the necessary steps to ensure, that said offers are only accessible to adults (closed usergroup)." from JMStV § 4 Abs. 2 Satz 2
- "A webmaster can not simply use a simple barrier, but has to use a reliable protection system, which can even repel attempts that are done with a 'certain amount of criminal energy'." from Jugendmedienschutz: Alterskontrollierte geschlossene Benutzergruppen im Internet
|This entry about a website is a stub - can you it?|