- This article is about Sema JayHawk. There is also the similarly-named Super Jayhawk.
Sema JayHawk (born February 27, 1986), better known as SemJay, is an American Pit Bull Terrier/Siberian Husky mix originally from the Chicagoland area, now living in Arizona with her fiance, Taren Nauxen. She is a cartoonist, a stand up comedian and an avid fursuiter. She currently[when?] has a job with Bad_Dragon taking care of customer service and the company's online forums.
Involvement with the Lake Area Furry Friends (LAFF)
Before she moved to Arizona, Sema was an active member of the Lake Area Furry Friends (LAFF). She created and runs their group on Second Life where she is known as Semwoofer Paz. She is also the creator of SliderCon, a monthly trip to a local White Castle (now run by her good friend, Blazger). In 2006, Sema helped run the 2006/07 LAFF New Years Eve Party in Gurnee, IL.
Since moving to Arizona, Sema has made a gallant effort to get the Phoenix area Furries together. In September of 2007 she was able to get around 30 of them to attend a bowling/dinner meet. In February of 2009 she hosted another bowling meet that had over 40 people attend. In June 2009, there was a smaller, 25 attendee, bowling event.
Recently Sema was asked to be on staff for Phoenix Furness and was originally made their Director of Marketing and Public Relations. Recently she was promoted the Vice Chairman of the Phoenix based convention. Unfortunately, the local community lost interest in the convention and it never happened.
As soon as she graduated high school, Sema started attending as many conventions as she could, including Midwest Furfest (in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010), Anthrocon (in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010) , Further Confusion (in 2008 2009, 2010) as well as IndyFurCon in 2010. At Midwest FurFest 2006, Sema, along with Dronon, ran the "Whose Lion is it Anyway" panel, based on the improv comedy TV shows "Whose Line is it Anyway?". Due to popular demand, the panel was held again at MFF 07 and was bigger than last year, but since Dronon was unable to make it, Alkali Bismuth was Sema's co-host. Whose Lion continues to have a yearly show at MFF, and has been a panel at AnthroCon, Further Confusion, IndyFurCon and Furry Connection North as well. Sema also helped host a few fursuit construction panels and has participated in the Furry Variety Show at MFF and the Masquerade at AC.
The Many Faces of Sema JayHawk
- SemJay, the Pit Bull/Husky mix, is the fursona Sema associates herself with the most. The Pit Bull and the Husky represent different aspects of her dog totem. SemJay is short for Sema JayHawk - the JayHawk being Sema's middle school mascot. The brown marking on her left side is often mistaken for a star but it is in fact a jet-shape. Sema's middle school mascot was the Jets before it was changed to the JayHawks, and since Sema was in middle school when SemJay was created, she decided to incorporate both mascots into her fursona. Fursuit head by Lacy newer suit by Furr Happens
- Outlander Sema is a vengeful lioness who Sema now looks to as an "anti-totem". This lioness was Sema's fursona during high school and she is also the main character of the fan fiction "Never Trust a Pridelander". Sema, meaning "Narrate" or "Story Teller" in Swahili, was first sighted in 1998 on The Lion King Fan-Art Archive and the site's original forums. In 2003, Sema JayHawk drifted away from the TLK online fan-base and on to more canine things. It was at that time that SemJay replaced Sema as their creator's main fursona. Fursuit head by White Wolf
- Horatio Shields is Sema's third fursona. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier/American Staffordshire Terrier. He is known for his constantly yiffy nature and loving personality. Correct to popular belief - Horatio is named after Horatio in William Shakesphere's Hamlet. Horatio's last name, Shields, means "Loyal Protector". Fursuit head by MixedCandy
- Sema JayHawk's profile on deviantART. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Guests on the Fur Squared website. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
|This person is a WikiFur user:|