Rocky Mountain Fur Con
|Rocky Mountain Fur Con was first organized by the Mid-America Anthropomorphics and Arts Corporation to take place in June of 2006 to cater to the large population of furries living in Colorado and surrounding areas. However, when Anthrocon also announced its date for that same month, the decision was made to postpone the Rocky Mountain Fur Con's debut until 2007.|
The first Rocky Mountain Fur Con was chaired by Kahuki Lairu with assistant chair Sorin Kat, and took place at the Denver Adam's Mark Hotel. In its second year, RMFC moved to the Hyatt Regency, but failed to meet its room block requirements, leaving its sponsoring organization in considerable debt, and at risk of having to close the convention.
Nonetheless, Rocky Mountain Fur Con did manage to continue the next year, rescued in part by generous donations from the community. Sorin Kat took over as chairman, and the convention changed hotels again, to the Crown Plaza Hotel. However, due to cost considerations and problems with the ground floor layout, the convention moved in 2010 to the DoubleTree Hotel Denver, where it remained for several years. During this time, RMFC's remaining debts were paid off, and the convention's attendance doubled. In 2013, a charity casino night was organized, intended as a special event to match the convention's "Lucky 13!" theme. However, this event was so popular that it was brought back the following year.
In 2014, Rocky Mountain Fur Con moved to the Marriott Denver Tech Center, having outgrown the Doubletree.
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- An introductory panel for first-time convention attendees.
- A Dealers Den
- An Art Show and Auction (charity, general, and mature)
- Educational panels for drawing, painting, fursuiting, writing, music, and other creative endeavors.
- Species-specific panels
- Religious and spiritual gatherings
- Lounges for gaming, drawing, and video games
- A Fursuit Parade
- Special events for patrons and super-patrons
- "Free Can Cook!" A cooking show hosted by FreeFox
- A show by 2, The Ranting Gryphon
- A nerf gun battle
- Improv comedy shows
- Themed charity benefit events, such as poker tournaments
Rocky Mountain Fur Con is a "PG-13" con; minors are permitted in convention spaces with some restrictions, and the code of conduct accounts for this.
While most aspects of the code of conduct are typical for furry conventions, Rocky Mountain Fur Con is one of only a few furry conventions in the United States that has had to address legal, recreational use of marijuana. RMFC's policy on marijuana is analogous to its policies on alcohol and tobacco. Use by attendees is not prohibited per se, but controlled substances may not be brought into any convention spaces, and attendees are expected to respect all local laws and hotel and convention policies that apply to marijuana use, smoking, and/or intoxication.
Rocky Mountain Fur Con is organized by the Mid-American Anthropomorphic and Arts Corporation, an S corporation with 501(c)(3) status as of 2014. The CEO is Kahuki Lairu, while the treasurer is Sorin Kat.
- Sorin Kat - Chairman
- Klandaghi Silentclaws - Co-Chair
- Maxwell Daemon - Programming
- Rocky - Marketing/Registration
- Snuggles - Operations
- Stefan Volf - Special Operations
- Wu Wei - Art Show/Dealers Den
Each department has its own managers and other staff, and a large number of additional volunteers assist with various tasks at the convention itself. (It should be noted that, as with most non-profit conventions, the staff are themselves volunteers, not paid employees. The label "staff" simply recognizes that an individual has established a certain level of reliability and commitment.)
- http://www.rockymountainfurcon.org/about-us.html Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- Events page on the official website. Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- RMFC 2014 pocket schedule
- The Rocky Mountain Fur Con 2014 con book.
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con website
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con forums
- Colorado Furries community on LiveJournal
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con on Twitter
- Photos, videos, reports: Rocky Mountain Fur Con resources