Rocky Mountain Fur Con 2017
Rocky Mountain Fur Con 2017 would have been the eleventh iteration of the Rocky Mountain Fur Con. It was originally scheduled for the weekend of August 11-13, 2017, at the Denver Tech Center Marriott in Denver, Colorado, but was cancelled on April 10, 2017. The theme would have been "Carnival Nocturne".
Following allegations made by Deo TasDevil on Twitter about associations between the Furry Raiders and the Rocky Mountain Fur con, Deo was sent a cease and desist letter by Kahuki Lairu, a RMFC board member, with the blessing of the board, claiming to be a "contract law officer" and threatening to file for liens on her property and wages. The letter's legal standing was brought into question by Boozy Barrister, a lawyer and writer for the blog "Lawyers and Liquor". On Monday, April 10, 2017, this received widespread attention in a Dogpatch Press article, which also referenced past controversy about Kahuki's conviction of sexual contact of a minor.
On the same day, RMFC staff announced that Rocky Mountain Fur Con was cancelled, citing "...a sudden and drastic increase in security costs amounting to more than a third of our entire existing operating budget" related to "very public threats of violence against one another by members of this community, as well as the negative backlash from misinformation spread about the convention, its staff and attendees.", which according to Kahuki referred to Deo's allegations regarding the Furry Raiders, and tweets about "punching nazis", but not a gun threat Deo had received.
According to Scorch, the additional security cost referred to demands by the Convention's venue, the Marriott Denver Tech Center, to contract the Denver Police Department for additional security, which would have amounted to $22,000, due to the hotel's concerns following the aforementioned threats of violence.
An investigation by Flayrah revealed significant tax discrepancies, referenced in passing in the convention's statement. The convention has stated it will use its resources to pay off costs and tax liability, with any remaining funds being used to refund attendance and vending fees.
- Arvada Tails, who in 2017 held Arvada Tails Dark Carnival Day in the Park, a "mini-con" intended as a tribute to RMFC.
- Tweet on the Rocky Mountain Fur Con account on Twitter. Dated October 30, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- Tweet on the Rocky Mountain Fur Con account on Twitter. Dated April 10, 2017. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- "I only found out about "Kahuki" Kendal Emery the convicted felon after he & RMFC/MAAAC doxxed me & mailed this fake-legal threat to my home" - Deo on Twitter
- "Neo-Nazis Are Tearing the Furry World Apart" - The Daily Beast. Dated 14 Apr, 2017. Retrieved 14 Apr, 2017
- "Free Furry of The Land: When SovCits and Furries Collide" - lawyersandliquor.com
- "Rocky Mountain Fur Con backs neo-nazis, sex offender to intimidate critic for reporting threat." - article on Dogpatch Press. Dated April 10, 2017. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- New Mexico Courts case lookup homepage. Can't directly link to the Kendal/Kendall case due to a redirect to "stale session" page. Case number D-1215-CR-92000256. Retrieved April 10, 2017
- https://twitter.com/RMFC_Denver/status/851594157084856320 Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Regarding RMFC - Scorch, Fur Affinity (12 April 2017)
- "https://www.flayrah.com/6903/rocky-mountain-fur-con-canceled-following-neo-nazi-associations-tax-irregularities" - Flayrah. Dated 10 April, 2017. Retrieved 13 April, 2017
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con website
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con on Twitter
- Colorado Furries community on LiveJournal
- Fur flies for furries online article on the Toronto Sun
- The Bizarre Fall Of Rocky Mountain Fur Con online article on Nerd & Tie
- Neo-Nazis Are Tearing the Furry World Apart online article on The Daily Beast
- Does the Furry Community Have a Nazi Problem? online article on Rolling Stone
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con canceled over threats of violence online article on Fox31
- Even furries are no longer safe from neo-Nazi meddling online article on the A.V. Club
- How Nazi-Punching Lead To A Furry Con Cancellation online article on Bleeding Cool
- Rocky Mountain Fur Con scratched in Denver over fears of violence online article on The Denver Post
- Amid allegations of unpaid taxes, neo-Nazism, and sex offender, Denver furry convention canceled online article on ABC15
- Furry convention in Denver canceled amid security concerns over Nazi symbolism online article on the New York Daily News
- Tax-Dodging Nazi Sovereign Citizen Furries Forced To Cancel Denver Furry Convention. Yes, Really. online article on Wonkette
- Major ‘Furry’ Convention Canceled Amid Furor Over Nazis, Violence and a Registered Sex Offender online article on Heatstreet
- Amid allegations of unpaid taxes, neo-Nazism, and sex offender, Denver furry convention canceled online article on The Denver Channel
- The Furred Reich! Furry annual convention cancelled amid community's bitter divisions over rise of alleged neo-Nazi Mr 'Foxler' and the 'altfur' movement online article on the Daily Mail
|This entry about a convention is a stub - can you it?|