|It has been suggested that this item be renamed to Deer.|
Please check the talk page discussion.
|This article needs copyediting (for correct spelling, grammar, usage, etc.)|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
A cervine, or cervid is a being, generally considered anthropomorphic, possessed of features usually ascribed to terrestrial deer and related creatures. The more conventional meaning is a reference to such features in terrestrial lifeforms.
The actual word "cervine" means "deer", and this family of herbivorous ungulates includes white-tailed deer, reindeer, and even moose. Male cervines typically have antlers, which are grown and shed in a yearly cycle of territory, dominance, and mating. Some females are anomalous, producing enough testosterone to also grow antlers; these antlers tend to be smaller. Such females are unlikely to participate in territorial aggression, as child-rearing is still one of their primary concerns.
 See also
- The "Endeering" community on LiveJournal
- "The Divine Cervine" Group on deviantART
- "The Endless Forest" Fan Group on deviantART
- - The "Bambi Addicts" Group on deviantART
- "Cervines International" on Furaffinity (CIFA)
- "The Endless Forest" RPG online game
- - "Shadows of Feardorcha" (a deer RPG based on the "Alastar" comic)