Detail from letterhead, ca. 2007. Artist unknown.
|First iteration||August 24-26, 2007|
|Final iteration||September 24-27, 2015|
|Organizer(s)||Rainfurrest Anthropomorphics International (RAIn)|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: RainFurrest resources|
|RainFurrest guests of honor|
RainFurrest was conceived by a group of individuals in the Pacific Northwest region who wished to start a new furry convention in the absence of Conifur Northwest. Gene Armstrong was one of those amongst the group who was asked to help coordinate and lead the efforts as he had experience working with of convention development within the sci-fi and fantasy fandoms.
370 furs attended the inaugural event. For its second year, RainFurrest was held on September 26-28, 2008 at the Seattle Airport Marriott, with an attendance of 599. The 2009 event was held September 18-20 at the same hotel, and had 911 attendees.
In 2010, RainFurrest attracted 1045 attendees, making it the sixth convention worldwide to surpass 1000 attendees . For 2011, RainFurrest had 1420 Attendees, a 36% growth over 2010. Attendance for 2012 was 1705, a 20% growth over 2011; in 2013 there were 2202 attendees, an increase of 29% on 2012; and in 2014 there were 2,586 attendees, or an increase of 17% on 2013. There were 2,704 attendees in 2015, or an increase of 4.5% on 2014.
Cancellation and Closure
- For more details on this topic, see RainFurrest 2016#Cancellation.
In February 2016, Rainfurrest announced the cancellation of the 2016 event, citing an inability to secure a venue. On February 28, 2017, the board of directors and convention staff announced that RainFurrest 2016 was cancelled, and referred attendees to Furlandia.
RainFurrest website and social media channels shared the following message:
It is with sad hearts that we have to tell you that we are closing RainFurrest as a convention. The RainFurrest Anthropomorphics International (RAIn) board of directors has been working hard to secure a venue, but we have exhausted all of our options. Right now, we can't make it happen. We thank all of you for waiting and standing with us, and we are sorry to let you down.
Even though RainFurrest the convention is being closed, RAIn will continue to hold Furlandia in Portland, as well as the summer BBQ and the winter holiday party in Seattle. We will also continue to support and promote the furry fandom in the Pacific Northwest and worldwide, because we want everybody to see the great things that our community, our colleagues, and our supporters accomplish every day.
Thank you, everybody who helped us run RainFurrest—staff or volunteer, many years or few. Thank you, everybody who came together with us to celebrate the wonderful things our fandom brings to life and the amazing community we can create by working together. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
We hope to see you at other RAIn events, and we look forward with you to the arrival of Furvana in Seattle in the near future.
— The RainFurrest Board of Directors
Guests of Honor
- 2007 - Monika Livingstone, Stalking Cat, Phil Geusz & Alexander James Adams
- 2008 - Werepuppy
- 2009 - Farore Nightclaw & Nicodemus
- 2010 - Balto, Kodi & Graveyard Greg
- 2011 - Tani DaReal, Beetlecat & Alan Dean Foster
- 2012 - Yamibliss, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough & Matrices
- 2013 - Soulscape, Temperance, FurPlanet (Fuzzwolf, Teiran, Buck C Turner, Zia McCorgi) & Fred Patten
- 2014 - Kyell Gold, Egypt Urnash, Pepper Coyote & Croc
- 2015 - Jan, Renee Carter Hall, RedHyena, & Amadhia Albee
- 2016 - NeoGeen, Ribnose & Ryan Campbell (Cancelled)
- 2007 - Sarvey Wildlife Center - $1000
- 2008 - Ferret Rescue Society - $1000+
- 2009 - Unknown - $536.78
- 2010 - Unknown
- 2011 - Unknown
- 2012 - Unknown
- 2013 - Clouded Leopard Project - $6454.17
- 2014 - Cougar Mountain Zoo - $6,500
- 2015 - Cougar Mountain Zoo - $10,000+
Attendance & Fursuiters
|Convention year||Attendance||Percentage change||Fursuiters||Percentage change|
|RainFurrest 2016 (Cancelled)||-||-||-||-|
Rainfurrest Anthropomorphics International (RAIn) is a 501(c)(3) exempt organization founded in the state of Washington, which "exists primarily for the purpose of holding events to facilitate education in anthropomorphic literature, art and culture, and to facilitate the donation of funds to non-profit institutions that the board decides are worthy."
The current board president is Rex. The current vice president is Saph.
- @RainFurrest 2017-02-28. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
- RAIn 2017-02-28. Hello, Rainfurs.. RAIn.
- Tweet from Furlandia (event under RAIn's umbrella) announcing non-profit status
- Rainfurrest Anthropomorphics International By-Laws
- RainFurrest - convention website
- RainFurrest Community Discussion
- RainFurrest Public List on Yahoo! Groups
- RainFurrest Public Community on LiveJournal
- RainFurrest wiki (staff-only)
- RainFurrest and RF Dealers' Den on Twitter
- FainFurrest on Facebook
- Photos, videos, reports: RainFurrest resources