|This article does not cite its references or sources. You can help WikiFur by adding references.|
For specifics, check the edit history and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
- This article is about the term; For the Fur Affinity ranking site, see Popufur.com
Popufur, a portmanteau of the words popular and furry (Spanish: Furro Popular), is a furspeech term to mean a popular person (normally a furry artist or fursuiter) within the furry fandom.
Popufur can also have a negative connotation, in which case popular implies one who is rich, famous, adored and/or otherwise notable in the fandom (often successful solely because of the fandom), but acts superior or indifferent to other members of the fandom (including their fans), sometimes even being dismissive or derisive of the fandom as a whole.
The term, in use from at least 2007, was popularized by the Furry Night Live skit entitled popufur at Further Confusion 2009. The satirical skit was a parody of the song "Popular" from Wicked the musical, and took first place in the FNL maquerade that year. It was written by Jil and Sophie Cabra, and originally preformed by Sophie Cabra and Raspberry Roo.
- Big Name Fan (BNF), an analogous term in non-furry fandoms with the same negative connotation.
- ↑ Furry Worries That Resentful Popufur Will Trash Reputation post on Ask Papabear (Retrieved January 6, 2013)
- ↑ Comment to What pisses you right the !@#$ off? - Arshes Nei, Fur Affinity forums (February 13, 2007)
- ↑ Comment to Is Uncia back? - Arshes Nei, Fur Affinity forums (June 2, 2007)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 FNL 2009, 11 - Pop-U-Fur - MTigress, YouTube (February 3, 2009)
- ↑ RANT: Popufur Commision Prices post on the Fur Affinity forums (retrieved January 6, 2013; archived August 28, 2015)
- ↑ My opinion of a popufur on SoFurry (Retrieved january 6, 2012)
|This stub about a term could be expanded.|