|First iteration||November 2016|
|Organizer(s)|| Founders: Kabba, Schande Thompson, Brad The Colf
Current Admins: Azorukon, Offwhite-Sergal, GlowcatSaph
|Subject||Regional Furry Group|
Open Coast is a furry social group based in Pensacola, Florida, USA. Its team of administrators cultivates the growth of anthropomorphic events in the Gulf Coast region of the USA originally spanning Mobile, Alabama to Panama City, Florida before spreading its reach to include South Mississippi in January 2020.
Open Coast currently hosts original events, promotes events run by other regional groups, and sponsors events run by members of the local community by assisting with the prep work (scheduling, venue relations, promotions) and providing on-site support.
Open Coast was co-founded in November 2016 by Kabba, Schande Thompson and Brad The Colf. The project's original goal was to energize the community by bringing unique event ideas to life in the real world, acting as a support network for the region, and producing new tools to help local furry fans connect and organize.
The group's mascot, Emerald (named for Florida's Emerald Coast), was created by Brad The Colf and would serve as the inspiration for the group's custom Telegram bot, @EmeraldHelperBot. Emerald delivers on-demand information relevant to the local community including monthly event calendars (complete with event/group profiles), a carpool registry and a directory of local chats, artists, fursuit makers and crafters.
By August of 2017, the private Open Coast Telegram group garnered over 155 members, becoming the region's largest community on the platform. In the same year, the Open Coast administrative team launched a number of successful events (original and sponsored) and pioneered the region's first furry convention, Emerald's Fur Summit, which ran in 2017 (as Emerald Fur Con) and 2018.
In May 2019, Kabba stepped down as the lead admin of Open Coast for personal reasons and gave control to the group to Brad The Colf. Open Coast then started to appoint more admins due to the group's large size. Schande Thompson then also steps down sometime shortly after. From here Open Coast went quiet.
Open Coast went into a hiatus in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and since remained inactive event wise until April of 2022, when Azorukon began new furmeets in the area via a telegram chat named Panhandle Furmeets. Open coast now runs new meets each month. By December of 2022 Azorukon, Offwhite-Sergal, and GlowcatSaph were appointed as the new admins of Open Coast. All previous admins either stepped down or were demoted, the new admin trio remains current.
The new admins began implementing updates to the local area including a suggestion box, Linktree for resources *see external links, revived social media for Open Coast, and a website (made by an anonymous member) with an event calendar and photo gallery: Open Coast website
By January of 2022 the Open Coast telegram group garnered over 300 members and continues to grow.
The Open Coast Assembly was a monthly gaming (tabletop, console and PC) and fursuiting event complete with an art raffle, photo shoot and other fun activities. The event debuted on May 6th, 2017 and was the largest fursuiting event in the region, having reached 62 attendees and 20 fursuits on June 3rd, 2017. The assembly event however, is no longer in session.
The event was launched by Kabba who also served as its lead administrator.
The Open Coast Grand Prix was a competitive go-kart racing event held quarterly in Pensacola, Florida. The event debuted on March 19th, 2017 and saw 22 attendees. The Grand Prix event however, is no longer in session.
The event was launched by Schande Thompson who also served as its lead administrator.
The Open Coast Potluck is a community potluck event held annually in Pensacola, Florida. The even debuted in 2017 and has been hosted every year since then. It normally takes place Bayview Park and is a fursuit-friendly event, allowing furries to fursuit in a cooler part of the year.
The event was launched by Schande Thompson who also served as its lead administrator. This event is now succeeded by Azorukon as it's new lead administrator.
Open Coast Digi-Con was a one-time digital convention that debuted in April 2020 due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic that occurred at the time and was for members of Open Coast and other local furs in the area. It was held on Discord and had events revolved around gaming and even included a panel. The final attendance was 65+.
Oops Alley Bowling
Open Coast now hosts a quarterly bowling meet, the event debuted in November of 2022. It is a fursuit friendly event which hosts an estimated 45+ attendees.
The event was launched by Offwhite-Sergal who serves as it's lead administrator.
Open Coast now also hosts various dinner meets across Pensacola, inviting local furs to join up and partake in having dinner with fellow furs at select restaurants. Open Coast hosts dinner at sushi masa
With Azorukon as the lead administrator
Park Meets & other various meets
Various meets held in different parks & areas of Pensacola. Such locations have included: Innerarity park 2022, Bayview park 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, University of West Florida campus 2023, Fort Pickens 2019 Open Coast Fort Pickens meet, Pensacola Beach 2018, 2019, 2022, & Perdido Key beaches 2022.
In September, 2019 a mini golf meet was hosted at Tortuga Mini golf by Schande Thompson Tortuga Mini golf meet
These park & recreation meets are hosted by Azorukon as their lead administrator.
Open Coast Counties
- Bay County
- Walton County
- Okaloosa County
- Santa Rosa County
- Escambia County
- Baldwin County
- Mobile County
- Parts of South Mississippi
- ↑ Open Coast Facebook Account[dead link] Open Coast's presence on Facebook. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- ↑ Open Coast now includes SMFA post on Twitter. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- ↑ Furry Grand Prix Announcement Official announcement on Twitter. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Open Coast Twitter Account Open Coast's presence on Twitter. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- ↑ Open Coast Telegram chat, launched November 17th, 2016. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- ↑ Open Coast Logo Open Coast's Original logo, published by Brad The Colf on his FA page. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- ↑ How to Use Emerald Helper Bot Official "how to" video posted on the Open Coast Twitter account. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- ↑ Emerald Helper Bot on Telegram[dead link] Link to Emerald Helper Bot on Telegram. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- ↑ Open Coast's Telegram Profile August 2017(private) archived record of the Open Coast Telegram information page on 8/29/2017. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- ↑ Kabba steps down as lead admin post on Twitter. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/OpenCoastAnthro/status/1606054977058705410
- ↑ https://twitter.com/OpenCoastAnthro/status/1609960282909966340
- ↑ May 2017 OC Assembly Official announcement on Twitter. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- ↑ June 2017 OC Assembly Official announcement on Twitter, 62 attendees, 20 fursuiters. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- ↑ March 2017 OC Grand Prix Official announcement on Twitter. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- ↑ Open Coast 2019 Potluck post on Twitter. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- ↑ Open Coast Digi-Con Info and Attendance post on Twitter. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- Open Coast on Twitter
- Open Coast Lobby(lobby to private Telegram group) on Telegram