|First iteration||October 31, 2003 (as Festival of the Feral)|
|Charity||WildCare Foundation of Oklahoma|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Oklacon resources|
|Festival of the Feral (2003)|
|Oklacon guests of honor|
Oklacon is organized by Fuzzy Productions, the legal entity that produces the convention for the benefit of the convention's designated charity, Safari's Interactive Animal Sanctuary in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA, from 2004 through 2013. From 2004 through 2013, the attendees of Oklacon have raised over $50,000 for the charity. In 2014, the charity beneificiary for Oklacon changed to WildCare Foundation of Oklahoma.
By design, Oklacon is geared to be a local convention catering to furs in the Southwestern US; however, registrants from as far as Germany have attended. Oklacon is 70 miles from the nearest airport, and most attendees drive from Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, and other surrounding states. Roughly half of attendees are from Oklahoma, and approximately 25% are from Texas. It is advertised as the most affordable furry con in the world. Oklacon's registration price is less than half the average basic registration prices of other major conventions. Only one other convention, Furry Connection North, posted a lower pre-registration price, although Oklacon registration fees include lodging accommodations and some meals, which makes the bulk of attendance costs the cost of gas.
Often 50%, and up to 80% of each year's attendees have not attended a prior Oklacon event. A majority of first-time Oklacon attendees by a show of hands at each year's opening ceremonies self-report Oklacon is their introduction to furry conventions. The convention markets the bimodal nature of the attendance base, with a large percentage attending Oklacon as their first furry convention and a large percentage having attended Oklacon for many years, as a positive aspect to prospective dealers and artists who wish to introduce their work to new audiences.
Like many other outdoor-format conventions, Oklacon combines events typical of traditional hotel conventions with unique events that take advantage of the specific venue or general wilderness environment. Traditional events include a Dealer's Den, an Artists' Alley, an Art Show and a Charity Auction, which take place in a multipurpose building in the center of the group camp site, named the 'Turkey Roost' by the State Park staff, as many wild turkeys are often seen around the site prior to the arrival of the larger convention attendance. Outdoor events range from Frisbee contests, volleyball, fursuit bocce ball, and monster croquet, to Predator and Prey. A delegation from Feral! visited and imparted one of their staple events, Predator and Prey, into the annual event calendar, which remains a popular and large event, lasting up to three hours of game play each year. The convention has a strong focus on its charity, and many events, including the Charity Auction, Charity Poker, and proceeds from regular art auction sales directly or indirectly raise funds for it.
Guests of Honor
- 2003: Bucky Boy and Nexxus
- 2004: 2, DBruin, and Windpaw
- 2005: Jakebe and Wolf Heart
- 2006: Goldenwolf and Lightfoot Kyohti
- 2007: Blotch and EbonyTigress
- 2008: Jeff Goode
- 2009: Stephanie de la Loba Negra and Ringtail Cafe
- 2010: Balto and KnotCast
- 2011: Myenia and Bucktown Tiger
- 2012: Ugly Little Monster and Kyell Gold
- 2013: Vantid
- 2014: Kimmy and Laken Steeljaw
Crimson Mist, while originally announced as a 2007 Guest of Honor on the convention website, did not attend the convention.
- 2003: (no specific theme)
- 2004: !
- 2005: Inner Animal
- 2006: Ruffin' It!
- 2007: V for Vermin
- 2008: Mark of the Beast
- 2009: The Seven Furry Sins
- 2010: The Great Depression
- 2011: A Stitch in Time Saves 9
- 2012: It Came from Planet X!
- 2013: Let the Games Begin!
- 2014: The Good, the Bad, and the Furry!
- Timeline of furry camping events, Retrieved September 29, 2010
- Oklacon Archives - Historical Numbers. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- Sub-level 03 tour schedule , Retrieved September 29, 2010
- Fuzzy Productions, LLC reference page on the official website
- Oklacon's Designated Charity (2014)
- Oklacon 2010 Preregistration statistics by state , Retrieved March 11, 2011
- Oklacon 2011 Preregistration statistics by state , Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon Registration Page , Retrieved September 29, 2010
- Top 25 conventions by attendance, Retrieved September 15, 2010
- Furry Connection North registration pricing page. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon registration benefit comparison. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2010 Preregistration Progress Report , Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- Oklacon 2004 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2005 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2006 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2007 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2008 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2009 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2010 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2011 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2012 Guests of Honor. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Oklacon 2013 Guests of Honor. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Oklacon 2014 Guests of Honor. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Oklacon official website
- Oklacon Facebook Group
- Oklacon Online Community at LiveJournal
- Oklacon Feed at Twitter
- Oklahoma Furry Community at LiveJournal
- Photos, videos, reports: Oklacon resources