News:RMFC seeks $30,000 to survive
Rocky Mountain Fur Con, based in Denver, Colorado, is facing tough times. Despite 35% growth, debt has led 2009 chairman Sorin Kat to plea for $30,000 to keep the event alive.
The convention's organizers are actively soliciting large donations, offering lifetime memberships and board seats in exchange for funds. Over $4,000 has been raised so far.
RMFC's problems stem from a charge for not filling its room block: a set of hotel rooms reserved for attendees at a significantly-reduced rate. Sorin — who is also treasurer for RMFC's managing organization — says the event was "operating at a surplus if not for this one debt … [which] was based solely on our estimation of room rentals".
Conventions face a balancing act when it comes to room blocks. Conservative booking reduces the risk of attrition, but can lead to insufficient rooms, less function space, and a higher room rate. RMFC's situation echos that of ConFurence, which at one point risked owing $70,000 to its hotel due to declining attendance.
Despite the debt, organizers still hope to find space this year at a smaller, more affordable location over August 7-9. Failing that, the convention may be postponed to 2010.
If efforts to revive the event fail, it will not be alone. Seven North American furry events closed their doors in the last decade, some after only one or two years. Others, like FA: United, have been forced to reschedule in the face of the current economic crisis.
$1000 — Lifetime membership
$5000 — Lifetime membership, non-voting board seat
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Rocky Mountain Fur Con 2009 website (March 9, 2009)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 WikiFur News correspondence
- ↑ The attrition condition: what hotel sales people need to know - Deborah Beiter, Cynthia Vannucci, Sheryl Kline, Susan Gregory, Entrepreneur.com (May 2004)
- ↑ Fifteen years is a good run... - Darrel Exline, ConFurence 2003 Souvenir Program Book (April 2003)
- ↑ Timeline of conventions: Anthrofest, C-ACE, Conifur Northwest, CritterConDiego, Furry Spring Break, Texas Furry Con, ZonieCon.
- ↑ FAU3 Announcement - The Dragoneer (February 9, 2009)
- ↑ The Dragoneer Interview - Furry 101 (March 13, 2009)