News:Califur 4 gets mixed reviews
May 24, 2008
A new hotel and the steampunk theme were the most noticeable things about Califur this year. Held May 15-18 at the Hyatt Regency in Irvine, California, the fifth Califur convention attracted 587 registered attendees.
After con staff felt that they had outgrown the Holiday Inn, they arranged for Califur 4 to be held at the Hyatt Regency. Califur 4 did not come close to filling the event space in the hotel, as there was a wedding, a senior prom, and other events the same weekend. Hotel staff put up a black curtain to separate Califur areas from space being used by the other events, which annoyed some Califur attendees. There were reports that non-Califur people, some possibly drunk, were disregarding the curtain and bothering Califur attendees. Some attendees felt that the convention was unwelcome at the hotel, but most still admit that individual hotel staff were friendly or at least professionally polite.
Some attendees were dissatisfied that some panels seemed to have no lead or none that showed up. The guests of honour this year were Keovi, Kitsumi and SteamFox, who each had their own panel.
The fursuit parade, which disappointed some seeing as it was mostly in the back areas of the hotel, nevertheless consisted of approximately 43 fursuiters and was enjoyed by many attendees.
The "Inventors' Feast" on Saturday was reported as being "very nice"
A subject of controversy among attendees was the filming for a documentary tentatively titled American Furry. While many were upset as they felt they had been filmed without consent, others were hopeful for positive exposure, and the filmmaker stated that those who had not given their consent could opt out of the final product.
- Conversation with Califur co-chair Trapa
- Not Welcomed at this Hotel - norsedoggie, (May 18, 2008)
- Califur con report - Gamer Wolf (May 19, 2008)
- Califur '08 recap - CatsbyMoo (May 19, 2008)
- Califur 5 highlights - Leo Tiger (May 19, 2008)
- Califur IV - Kaysho (May 19, 2008)
- the bird weighs in - Likeshine, (May 20, 2008)
- Califur pros and cons - OggyWolf, (May 19, 2008)
- secondary post - karadurzero (20 May, 2008)
- Califur and otherwise. Good, bad, sad, and really sad - Tarnac (May 19, 2008)
- Califur Report & Update of the Week - Domafox (May 20, 2008)
- Califur Report Day 1 - Kiteless Dragon (May 17, 2008)
- Steampunk Califur - Guests of Honor
- Califur Ice Cream Social? - YiffyFox, (May 21, 2008)
- Half-Assed Califur Report - Sunookitsune (May 21, 2008)
- Califur IV Report - Tabbicus (May 19, 2008)
- Comment in fursuit numbers - Diadexxus,
- Charity Stuffs - BluJaguar, (May 20, 2008)
- Califur once again - norsedoggie (May 18, 2008)
- califur part II - Leo Tiger (May 19, 2008)
- my thoughts on Califur - rummyhunny, (May 21, 2008)
- Long time FurCon goer - My Thoughts on Things - Diadexxus, (May 20, 2008)
- American Furry: Life, Liberty, and the Fursuit of Happiness - BoingBoing (November 7, 2007)
- Filming at Califur - QuietFire (May 21, 2008)
- (RANT) Double Edge Sword.. doesn't matter you'll still get cut. - Johnny Blanco (May 22, 2008)
- Filming at Califur- documentary - masinacat (May 21, 2008)