|Real name||David Kirk Ginder|
|Born||February 21, 1983|
|Date of death||June 27, 2021|
|Death place||Arakawa, Tokyo, Japan|
|Profession or hobby||Writer, software developer|
|Character species||Dragon/cat hybrid|
near, also known as byuu, full byuu san (real name David Kirk Ginder; born February 21, 1983 - died June 27, 2021), was a non-binary furry fan, writer and software developer from the United States who lived in Arakawa, Tokyo, Japan.
Being non-binary, near identified themselves as they/them, with a INTJ-T personality, preferring to keep to their own spaces, generally not reaching out first to others, and mostly working on projects by themselves (although working at their best with friends around).
near was a C++ programmer with 23 years of experience whose specialty was reverse engineering hardware and software. They were best known for creating the bsnes and higan video game emulators, and producing Japanese-to-English video game fan translations. They were also active in music and writing internet communities.
Prior to their passing, they were working on a fan translation for the Super Famicom tactical role-playing game Bahamut Lagoon, the main character of which is where their screen name comes from, in collaboration with Tom (RetroTranslator), who had previously done translation work for the fan translation group DDSTranslation.
near passed away on June 27, 2021,  from an apparent suicide due to the perceived constant bullying and harassment they had received by users on Kiwi Farms, an American Internet forum dedicated to the discussion of online figures and communities it deems "lolcows" ("people who can be 'milked for laughs'.").
On their last social post, near made the point that, as of late, Kiwi Farms had upped the ante:
|The honest truth is, I've been bullied, ridiculed, and humiliated my entire life. From my earliest grade school memories to now. It's always hurt me deeply enough that I can't describe it in words. I could only just tolerate it with heavy depression when it was 4chan.
But Kiwi Farms has made the harassment orders of magnitude worse. It's escalated from attacking me for being autistic, to attacking and doxing my friends, and trying to suicide bait another, just to get a reaction from me. I lost one of my best friends to this. I feel responsible
I can't handle this anymore. I have tried everything. I have taken every medication available. I have tried multiple therapists. I have tried closing myself off from the world. It doesn't help at all. Every night I am filled with panic attacks and dread and worry (...).
near would take their own life after this post.
- 'The internet is not a game. ... This stuff really hurts.' Respected developer who was bullied online dies by suicide. USA TODAY article on Yahoo! News. Dated August 1, 2021. Retrieved August 22, 2021.
- About Near page on the Near's Respite website. Retrieved June 29, 2021.
- A message about Near from a mutual friend. post on Twitter. Retrieved June 27, 2021.
- Near, the emulator developer of bsnes, higan, and more, has died (twitter.com/marcan42) post on Hacker News. Retrieved June 27, 2021.
- Near (Byuu) Has Died (docs.google.com) post on Hacker News. Retrieved June 27, 2021.
- Suicides of harassment targets section on Kiwi Farms's Wikipedia entry. Retrieved June 30, 2021.
- But Kiwi Farms has made the harassment orders of magnitude worse. post on Twitter. Retrieved June 30, 2021.
- Byuu.net - byuu development website (retrieved via the Internet Wayback Machine)
- byuu on Fur Affinity (retrieved via the Internet Wayback Machine)
- near on Twitter
- byuu on Mastodon (retrieved via the Internet Wayback Machine)
- byuu on YouTube (retrieved via the Internet Wayback Machine)
- byuu on Medium
- near on Hacker News
- byuu on GitHub
- How SNES emulators got a few pixels from complete perfection article on Ars Technica
- A 23-Year Perfectionist Journey to Localize the Obscure 'Bahamut Lagoon' article on Vice
- The retro gaming industry could be killing video game preservation article on EuroGamer
- After 25 years, this cult SNES game finally gets a proper English translation article on Input
- The Brilliant SNES Emulator Author Known As Near Has Died article on Kotaku
- Near, creator of the higan and bsnes emulators, has died article on PC Gamer
- Near, the Programmer Behind the Legendary BSNES Emulator, Has Died article on IGN
- The Highly-Respected Emulator Developer Near Has Passed Away article on GameSpot
- SNES Emulator Developer Takes Own Life Following Online Harassment article on GameRant
- The Dev Behind One Of The World's Best SNES Emulators Has Taken Their Own Life article on Nintendo Life
- Snes Emulator Author NEAR Death Reason : Snes Emulator Author Aka NEAR Has Died article on Get India News
- Near, formerly Byuu, emulator developer, presumed dead from suicide following online harassment article on GBATemp
- Fears grow for the security of the developer behind one of the best SNES emulators in the world article on NewsQuick24
- L'auteur de l'émulateur Bsnes / Higan Near est décédé post on News (French only)
- Crohhanca Cobaateab 3Mynatopob HIGAN n BSNES Henna article on ITBusiness (Russian only)
- Near/Byuu, conocido desarrollador de la escena de emulación, se suicida a causa de bullying y acoso article on Tarreo (Spanish only)
- 「最も正確なSFCエミュレータ」製作者、自殺か―海外有名フォーラムからの執拗な個人攻撃が決定打に…… article on Yahoo! Japan News (Japanese only)
- The Worst Site on the Web Gets DDoS'd After Being Connected to Prominent Developer's Suicide article on Gizmodo
- Tributes Pour In For Near, The Developer Behind One Of The World's Best SNES Emulators article on Nintendo Life
- Near/Byuu Suicide entry on Know Your Meme
|This stub about a person could be .|