Marko the Rat
Marko the Rat (born September 28, 1971), also known as Marko T. Rat and Haal, is a fursuiter and plushophile, and member of the Westhaven furry household in Mount Gravatt, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. He is the life partner of Ristin. On March 7, 2012, after living together for over seven years, the pair registered their civil partnership soon after it became legal in Queensland.
Marko's fursona is a rat, of the species rattus norvegicus, and he felt an affinity to this species even before he identified himself as a furry. In real life, Marko and Ristin kept two non-anthro pet rats, Izza and Bo, but they are both since[when?] deceased.
Marko owns three fursuits:
- Rattus, a grey rat, who was built by Rose Quoll.
- Skippy, a grey kangaroo, made by Pouchhopper.
- Ziggy, a grey rat, by Arito Cotton.
Highlights of Marko the Rat's furry history include:
- 1995-2000: Co-publisher (along with Jagafeh and Sebkha) of South Fur Lands, Australia's first furry fanzine (now being published by Bernard Doove).
- 1996-1997: Co-tenant of Quarantine, possibly Australia's first furry house (or commune as it was then called).
- 1996(?)-present: Web administrator and founder of The Plush Palace, Australia's first plushie website.
- 1999-present: Web administrator and founder of Roophilia, a photographic resource on kangaroos and other native Australian animals.
- 2005-present: Co-owner (along with Ristin) of Westhaven, arguably[clarify] Australia's first wholly furry-owned and occupied house.
 Conventions and events
Marko has attended the following furry conventions and events (with milestones at each noted):
- Further Confusion 2007 (His first furry convention.)
- Further Confusion 2008 (Marched at the front of the fursuit parade along with Raxmei, holding a banner designed by Madius commemorating the Chinese Year of the Rat. Performed minor roles in two skits for Furry Night Live.)
- MiDFur X (2008) (Debuted his own skit for MiDFur's No Talent Show.)
- Califur 5 (2009, Gophered)
- Anthrocon 2009
- Further Confusion 2010 (Hosted, along with Nicodemus, the Rodent Panel.)
- Furry Down Under 2010
- MiDFur XII (2010)
- Furry Down Under 2011
- Eurofurence 17 (2011)
- MiDFur XIII (January 2012)
- Furry Down Under 2012
- Midwest FurFest 2012
- Furry Down Under 2013
- RivFur 2013
Although Roophilia has been replaced by a web 2.0 presence, he still enjoys dabbling in photography and often visits Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, where he has an annual pass.
Marko collects plush toys and has accumulated quite a large collection. He is unable to sleep comfortably without plush. He is a full blown plushophile, though his main focus is cuddling them while he sleeps.
- ↑ Marko the Rat's profile on LiveJournal. Retrieved January 1, 2009
- ↑ "Civil partnership: Love, not politics" - posting on Marko the Rat's LiveJournal. Dated March 7, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2012
|This person is a WikiFur user:|