Jurann, also known as Ursa Polaris, Jurann Foxtail, Kandykoon, and as Jurann Kraken on Second Life, is a member of the furry fandom who lives in Santa Clara, California, USA.
Jurann joined the fandom early in 1995 via the YiffNet IRC. The name was computer-generated using a random fantasy name generator created by the player.
Jurann appeared on FurryMUCK, TigerMUCK, and Tapestries in early 1996. He has a Mucker bit on FurryMUCK and writes MUF programs. He built and maintains the Garden of Eden on FurryMUCK.
As webmaster and programmer, Jurann has created or been involved in several furry and furry-related projects, including FurCen.Org, Furry Grand Central, the Furry Database, FurBuy, FuroticaMUCK, and Freezing Furs. He contributed to the Fuzzball TinyMUCK server project. He was at one time the Assistant Admin of FurNation.
Convention staff roles
Jurann staffed ConiFur Northwest for five years as the Director of Internet and Gaming. He was slated to be the Art Show Director for RainFurrest 2007,. Jurann was replaced by Glen Wooten due to personal conflicts with the convention organization..
Jurann was the Science Track 3rd at Further Confusion in 2011 and the Art Track Lead at Further Confusion 2013.
Jurann's character started out as a fox. Jurann changed species to a Spotted Hyena in early 2000.
In September 2006 he changed species again, this time to a raccoon. On September 23, 2007, his character was redrawn by furry artist K'sharra as a polar bear, resulting in yet another species change. As listed on Fur Affinity, his species is "Ice Bear".
Jurann's first fursuit was created in 2005 by ToonSuits and has appeared at Midwest FurFest, Conifur Northwest, Anthrocon, Further Confusion and other furmeets and regional events.
In May 2010 Jurann purchased Korth's okapi fursuit made by Rose Quoll (body) and MixedCandy (head, paws, feet) and renamed the suit Twende. She is part of the Critters By The Bay mascot troupe in the California Bay Area, and has appeared in the Piedmont 2010 4th of July Parade and the San Jose 2010 Holiday Parade.
In July 2010 Jurann had a female Tauren fursuit named Jeemana completed by Komickrazi.
- ConiFur Northwest (Staff)
- Further Confusion (Staff)
- Midwest FurFest
- Mephit Furmeet
- Biggest Little Fur Con
- RainFurrest (Staff)
- All Fur Fun
- ConFurence East
- Furality Online Xperience
In April 2007, K'sharra stated that Jurann "outbid a couple of people on" on her pieces in a convention art show "because he felt they would sell for higher at a different con. At the end of the con, he paid for the pieces and gave them back" to the artist, his mate K'sharra, "to sell elsewhere.".
The convention was All Fur Fun.
In a comment to K'sharra's post on Artists Beware, Jurann stated:
|I defended the pieces because I really like them and wanted them myself. But I'd also like to see them in a bigger art show where they'll get more attention. I suppose I made a boo-boo, because while I violated no policies of the art show, I'm being ethically challenged by all kinds of people for what I did.|
In a later post, Jurann clarified that:
|Two of the pieces [on auction at AFF] in particular I liked and wanted to add to my collection ... and proceeded to bid on ONLY the two pieces I was personally interested in.|
He also later claimed that he only wanted to see them displayed in a larger art show as NFS, not re-sold. The attempt to resell the piece online was due in large part to a confusion of which pieces had and had not sold at the AFF auction, as Jurann explained in his LiveJournal:
|I didn't make the ownership and intentions of what to do with the pieces I won at AFF clear to K'sharra. I would also point out that AFF did not give K'sharra any paperwork to explain which pieces sold and did not and for how much.|
Jurann also placed bids in an online auction by K'sharra, under the account Kandykoon. His bids were made in an increasing pattern over the course of three days, and were followed by two bids by two different people, one of which won the item.
On April 15, Jurann was suspended from FurBid-SF by Ayukawataur for a period of at least six months. Ayukawataur noted that his bids:
|Were in no way consistent with his bidding practice across the previous five auctions under the user name Jurann, nor the other two auctions under the name Kandykoon|
Jurann stated in his April 17 post:
|My interest in buying this piece was completely genuine [...] I once again used my USUAL bidding strategy for placing bids on the piece, which is consistent with my strategy for [other] pieces on Furbid: inching up the proxy of other users so I don't have to make a proxy bid far higher than theirs.|
In May 2011, Jurann's account on Fur Affinity was marked Suspended, with
|The Administration of this site does NOT appreciate disruption of the community, drama starting and interference with user transactions. They especially don't appreciate false threats against users holding auctions on FA instead of furbuy. This user is permanently banned.|
In December 2012 Jurann posted to Fur Affinity "My account access has been restored, thank you Dragoneer for removing the suspension. I will try not to be a disruption to the community in the future."
As of early September 2013, the Fur Affinity account is again marked Suspended.
- ↑ Looking for a few Good Staffers!. March 4, 2007 post by Jurann to RainFurrest LiveJournal community. Retrieved April 10, 2007.
- ↑ A Difference In Opinion. June 14, 2007 post by Jurann to his LiveJournal. Retrieved June 14, 2007.
- ↑ http://www.furaffinity.net/user/jurann Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- ↑ To quote the Hitchhiker's Guide... April 10, 2007 post by K'sharra to the artists_beware community on LiveJournal. Retrieved April 11, 2007. (Post deleted as of April 17, 2007. Cached copy of Artists_Beware front page, retrieved by Google on April 14, 2007.)
- ↑ Comment by Jurann posted April 11, 2007 to artists_beware. Retrieved April 11, 2007. (Post deleted as of April 17, 2007.)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 "Auction Hijinks" posted April 17, 2007 on LiveJournal. Retrieved December 24, 2007.
- ↑ Bid History of auction on FurBid-SF. Auction started April 6, 2007; ended April 11, 2007. Retrieved April 11, 2007.
- ↑ A recent issue. April 15, 2007 LiveJournal post by Ayukawataur. Retrieved April 16, 2007.
- ↑ http://www.furaffinity.net/user/jurann Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- ↑ Looks Like I'm Back December 23, 2012 journal post by Jurann on Fur Affinity. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- ↑ http://www.furaffinity.net/user/jurann Retrieved September 8, 2013.
|This person is a WikiFur user:|
- Ursa Polaris on deviantART
- Jurann on Fur Affinity (suspended)
- Jurann on Inkbunny
- Jurann on Weasyl
- Jurann on SoFurry
- Jurann on FurNation (retrieved via the Internet Wayback Machine)
- Jurann on FurCen.Org (outdated)
- UrzaPolariz (Jurann) on Twitter
- Jurann's Silver Thread - Jurann on LiveJournal
Jurann (founder) - G'razel - Kaboukie - K'sharra - Mordrul - Skylos - Sparks Ravefolf - Xander Panther