|This article needs copyediting (for correct spelling, grammar, usage, etc.)|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
The only place to go now is forward
Intrenched is a webcomic Drawn by Euro Weitersen. The World that "Intrenched" is set in seems to be inhabited by Anthropomorphic cats. Intrenched takes place between the years of 1916 and 1918. It chronicles the exploits of a squadron of soldiers in the British 144th Division later joined by several POW's and an American Pilot.
This comic is in black and white in homage to the olden style cameras and photography in the early days of the twentieth century.
- Jeremiah "Mac" MacDonnell - The main character of the story. He enlisted when he was underaged at 16 years old because he felt he was obligated to avenge his brother who went MIA. He is a rather quiet fellow with a knack for getting out of any situation no matter how bad it is. MacDonnell is never discovered that he is under-aged and finishes the war still fighting. He is best friends with Chaucer.
- Friedrich Chaucer - The third son of a well-to-do baron, Chaucer joined the arm as a chance for adventure and as a way to impress his father after a few incidents traumatic instances in his life. He has a gambling addiction and is often seen with a deck of cards in his hands ready to strip the other players of their money. He also is quite the trouble-maker and is often the cause of fights.
- Andre Bordeaux - Originally born in France, he was orphaned at a very young age. Adopted by a British Merchant, he was brought to England and has been living there ever since. He joined the army as a symbol of his alliance to his new homeland. He is tall, bespectacled and very reserved. He has the worst luck in the entire company but can't seem to rid himself of it. Andre is engaged to Virginia Blummenthal.
- Flea - One of the only remaining members of the original 144th before it was decimated by being sent over the top, so called because now, the only word he says is 'Flea'.Nobody, except Maude, knows Flea's real name. He is sparatic and shakes constantly, a left over trait acquired from his 1914 service. He refuses to sleep at night and if fighting ever occurs, Flea would prefer to hide than actually shoot.
- Sergeant Percival Maude - Sergeant of the platoon that Mac is stationed with, he is the father figure for many soldiers. Strangely almost nothing is known about him. He and Flea were the lone survivors of the old regiment. Maude joined the army long before the war broke out to get away from his abusive father, Percival Maude sr. He is a courageous leader and has never led his men into danger.
- Virginia Blumenthal - At one time an American citizen and married to a man named Micheal Belford, she came to England to start anew after Belford left her. She originally was a news paper editor, but, being a woman, she never got far in that job. As soon as the war breaks out, She sets herself to working for the Red cross and providing aid to the soldiers. Virginia is engaged to Andre Bordeaux.
- German POW Wolfgang Schreiber
- German POW Ludwig Maas
- Basil "Stiff" Monroe
- Alois Hipple
- Shane McKinley
- Joseph "Shorty" McLain
- Judithe Sable
- Major Leroy Brown
- Hauptmann Gottlieb von Alpenheimer
- Remi O'Toole
 Historical Background
World War I, also known as the First World War, the Great War and the War To End All Wars, was a global military conflict which took place primarily in Europe from 1914 to 1918. Over 40 million casualties resulted, including approximately 20 million military and civilian deaths. The immediate cause of the war was the June 28, 1914 assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by Gavrilo Princip. Within a month, much of Europe was in a state of open warfare.
The war was propagated by two major alliances. The Entente Powers initially consisted of France, the United Kingdom, Russia and their associated empires and dependencies. The Central Powers, so named because of their central location on the European continent, initially consisted of Germany and Austria-Hungary and their associated empires.
The Western Front was marked by a system of trenches, breastworks, and fortifications separated by an area known as no man's land. These fortifications stretched 475 miles (more than 600 kilometres) and precipitated a style of fighting known as trench warfare.
The war was ended by several treaties, most notably the Treaty of Versailles. The Allied powers had an armistice with Germany in place since November 11, 1918. The German Empire lost its colonial possessions and was saddled with accepting blame for the war. The Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires were completely dissolved. After the war, the League of Nations was created in order to avoid future wars by giving nations a means of solving their differences diplomatically.
-- Taken from Wikipedia's WWI article