|This article needs to be wikified (formatted according to the Furry Book of Style).|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
David Ross was born in California, and lived there for several years, where he enjoyed fishing for catfish and visiting ocean beaches. He moved to east Tennessee with his family around 1993. In Tennessee he enjoyed the colorful people of the Smoky Mountains, helping out with his communities, and being involved in after-school programs. In June of 2005, he moved to Alaska, where he obtained Information technology work in Homer, Alaska.
After being laid off from a mental health center at the end of March 2010,[clarify] he sought new employment. In May 2010, Ross found another long term employer in Pennsylvania. He relocated in July 2010, driving approximately 4300 miles starting from the Alaska highway and passing through Canada.
David Ross' involvement in the furry fandom varies from area to area. He is a maintainer of the Fursuit Livejournal community where he helps with the ever day duties and management when the need arises. When possible he also hosts fursuit bowling events in the greater Pittsburgh area when there's enough time to host and organize the events.
On occasion he attends local furmeets, favoring the ones which engage people instead of just sitting around.
(*) Membership revoked, banned
On January 22, 2010, David Ross' membership for the Anthrocon 2010 was revoked. In a brief letter, Anthrocon chairman and CEO Dr. Samuel Conway suggested that if the area was so dangerous as to require a firearm, it would be best not to come:
|You have repeatedly insisted that the area in which Anthrocon's convention takes place is sufficiently dangerous that it is necessary to carry a firearm for protection. If that is indeed the case, then we feel it is wisest you not attend so that you need not be exposed to unnecessary danger.|
The response from David Ross was as follows:
|I was banned because I'm an open carrier. Kage even mentions the fact in his email stating it's not I chose to arm myself, but because the way I carry. I WAS NOT IN VIOLATION OF ANTHROCON RULES.|
Open carry outside of convention space was not part of AC rules as of February 16, 2010. His ban was justified by allegations of public distress and police concern over his actions which reflected badly on Anthrocon, and the belief that such incidents would continue and escalate. The factual basis of these allegations is disputed.
After several DMCA takedown requests were sent to Fur Affinity administration concerning artists creating fan art of the e621.net mascot, David Ross decided to look closer at e621.net to see if there were any copyright infringements or unlawful works on the site.
He emailed e621.net's service provider after coming across works Insane Kangaroo considered were in violation of US code 18 USC § 1466A ("Obscene visual representations of the sexual abuse of children"). After receiving a copy of David Ross' email to their provider, Arcturus posted a topic to the forums with concerns of the future of e621.net.
Regardless of the intent, the posting to the forums resulted in harassment of Insane Kangaroo, which resulted in a public statement[clarify] stating there would be a report sent to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Fearing deportation,[clarify] Arcturus closed e621.net, leaving a message on the home page stating that "the doors are closed". Shortly afterward Varka obtained ownership of the site.
Inkbunny and SoFurry
|I reported SoFurry and InkBunny to AlertPay to make sure all sites which hit in case one of the people who ran the sites were the ones who started the initial complaint about FurAffinity. If one is going to get hit out of some troll, then all of the sites will burn. So the person who started the original complaint will not be smiling anymore.|
AlertPay had already informed the two sites that they were terminating their prior to FA's public announcement. Nevertheless, David Ross' actions were roundly criticized, and he was subsequently banned from furrydrama_2:
|Just because someone reported AlertPay does NOT give you the right to go all Internet vigilante on behalf of FA. They can handle their own shit. What you've done is quite possibly the lowest, shittiest, underhanded, vindictively stupid thing I've seen anyone do to another web site.|
On January 27, 2011, David Ross launched the Do Not Hug (The unofficial don't hug me bro murrsuit database), a publicly viewable listing of fursuiters who engage in sexual activities while in fursuit. The site stated that its purpose was to inform the public of potential health and hygiene issues regarding such activities. However, many people[who?] were concerned that the site could be used maliciously to violate privacy and ruin reputations.
Site sources and services
Postings to the site was to be done anonymously (no e-mail address or other identifying information is required of the user), and without the knowledge of the fursuiters being posted. On the day the site was launched, explicit photos of the fursuiters were included in the listing, but were removed the next day.
In addition to gathering information from sites like Fur Affinity and XTube (to which links were provided), the site also solicited users to submit names, information, photos, and videos directly to the site. Any submissions must include evidence of sexual activity, in the form of photographs and/or videos, before addition.
The site went offline somewhere between March and September of 2011.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. David Leroy Ross Jr. summary appeal docket on the Pennsylvania Judiciary Web Portal. Retrieved ?.
- Anthrocon bans fur over open carry article by GreenReaper on Flayrah. Posted February 13 2010. Retrieved February 14 2010.
- Stand up for civil rights, get banned from Anthrocon Livejournal post by . Posted February 12, 2010. Retrieved 2010 April 11.
- Possible Site Troubles post by Arcturus (screenshot) on Photobucket. Retrieved ?.
- Fur Affinity loses AlertPay account, bans cub porn article by GreenReaper on Flayrah. Posted November 24 2010. Retrieved ?.
- Comment to AlertPay drops InkBunny by Insane Kangaroo on . Posted November 25 2010. Retrieved ?. (members only)
- Rule Addition post by Teahound on furrydrama_2. Posted November 26, 2010. Retrieved ?. (members only)
- Comment to AlertPay drops Inkbunny by Teahound on furrydrama_2. Posted November 26, 2010. Retrieved ?. (members only)
- Insane Kangaroo announces “unofficial don’t hug me bro murrsuit database" article on the Furry News Network. Posted January 27, 2011. Retrieved ?.
- FlayraInsane Kangaroo announces "unofficial don't hug me bro murrsuit database" article by Higgs Raccoon on Flayrah. Posted January 26, 2011. Retrieved ?.
- Warning to fursuiters post by Ainoko on the Fur Affinity Forums. Posted January 27, 2011. retrieved ?.
- Dnh.furryzone.com archive on the Internet wayback Machine. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Cub porn - What to do? Legislate Livejournal post by Insane Kangaroo. Posted November 28 2010. Retrieved ?.
|This person is a WikiFur user:|