|It has been suggested that this item be split into multiple articles.|
Please check the talk page discussion before making substantial changes.
Gdakon is an annual convention in Gdańsk. Initially organized to fill a gap in the event schedule during the winter period, it is one of the largest conventions in Poland. Gdakon attempts to follow the examples of foreign furry conventions, while adapting them to Polish settings.
Initially it was not a typical convention, but merely a furmeet, but with time and growing popularity more and more guests started to come, including the growing percentage of foreign guests. Because of that, the organizational capacities of Bursztynek hostel were exceeded and the organizers decided to move the con to the Amber hotel.
Before "Gdakon" became a convention, it was a series of furmeets organized in Gdańsk mainly by Raksha. As time passed, it was decided that the meetings could be organized in the form of a convention and the next edition took place in the Bursztynek hostel.
|Attendance (approximate)||Location||Organizers||Date (approximate)|
|20||Private apartment||October 2007|
|50||JustHostel, Gdańsk||Winter 2009|
|30||Dom Harcerza, Gdańsk||Winter 2010|
Previous editions of the convention
|Themed Logo||Main theme||Number of attendees||Location||Convention date||Chairman|
|Hawaii||data unavailable||Hostel Bursztynek, Gdańsk||27th - 30th January 2011||Raksha|
|Medieval Times||59||Hostel Bursztynek, Gdańsk||23rd - 26th February 2012||Raksha|
|Vikings||74||Hostel Bursztynek, Gdańsk||14th - 17th February 2013||Lemurr|
|Horrors||121||Hotel Amber, Gdańsk||20th - 23rd February 2014||Lemurr|
|The Jungle||157||Hotel Amber, Gdańsk||5th - 8th March 2015||Lemurr|
|The Savannah||178||Hotel Amber, Gdańsk||9th - 13th March 2016||Lemurr|
|Magic vs. Technology||252||Hotel Amber, Gdańsk||1st - 5th March 2017||Lemurr|
|Back to the stone age||247||Hotel Faltom, Rumia (near Gdańsk)||21st - 25th February 2018||Lemurr|
|Ancient Greece - gods of Olympus||341||Hotel Faltom, Rumia (near Gdańsk)||6th - 10th March 2019||Lemurr|
|Wild West||406||Hotel Faltom, Rumia (near Gdańsk)||26th Febuary - 1st March 2020||Lemurr|
|Gdakon cannot into space||0||Cancelled||Cancelled||Fuckie|
|Pirates||373||Hotel Novotel Marina, Gdańsk||9th - 13th March 2022||Fuckie|
Name and mascot
The name Gdakon is a portmanteau of Gdańsk and the word "convention", which initially was meant with mixed enthusiasm, which was related to the onomatopoeic sound of "gdakanie" (the Polish word for hen’s cackle). It was instantly caught by the artists, who created the first unofficial mascot – a chicken. With time the organizers decided that it is distinct and good enough to become an official mascot, taking a form of a gryphon.
Before the mascot (called now "Gdakonek") became official it looked like Chocobo, appearing sometimes as a joke element of the website, e.g. as a replacement avatar for the site users.
Due to the unwillingness to set a single, fixed logo for all convents, it was decided that it will be connected to each year’s main theme. Thanks to this Gdakon has no fixed logo, and its different variations will be introduced each year. Although in 2017 a need for a fixed logo has led to creation of one.
Organizers and Staff
- Bakus – Core Organizer, Filming & Montage and Hotel Negotiations
- Fuckie – Core Organizer, Main graphic Designer, current Chairman
- Lemurr- Core Organizer, former Chairman, IT Team and Con Registration System
- Raksha – Core Organizer, Fursuit Longue and Logistic Team
- Derresh - Security
- Feniks Felstorm- PR and Social Media
- Rozz- Con Registration during convention
- Shaedo - Dealer's Den and Art Show
- Soren – Photographer and Fursiot Photoshoot
- Thar- ConOps
- Tygrys - Events and Helpers
- Wofik - Decorations and Logistic Team
Cooperation with other conventions
The organizers of Gdakon cooperate with other, foreign conventions to exchange experiences and organizational means. Currently, the organizers work most closely with SachsenFurs from Germany, whose members Konu Eikuku Hentaru and LeTigre are also co-organizers of Gdakon, helping e.g. with organizing the furdance. Symmetrically, the organizers of Gdakon (Lemurr) take part in organizing partner convents, by helping with the member management system.
- Gdakon was one of the first conventions to introduce and popularize the idea of two furdances – completely by accident. In 2012 in “Bursztynek” hostel due to the curfew the furdance had to be finished by 11 PM, which made it way shorter than originally intended. Due to the disappointment of the participants, the organizers had to repeat another furdance on the following day, this time without time limits. Since that time it became a fixed part of the convention’s program.
- On every edition’s website there are several Easter Eggs.
- The first conbook (from the third edition) was printed on a single sheet of paper, which basically made it a simple information flyer.
- Initially, the next hotel (after the "Bursztynek" hostel) was not meant to be the "Amber" hotel, but due to increasingly complicated organization from managers of the first hotel, the "Amber" hotel was chosen – a few weeks before the convention’s beginning.
- In this case, the English letter "C" is substituted for "K" in Polish.