The first Gateway FurMeet took place at the Hampton Inn – Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, over April 18-20, 2014. PeacePaw Yote was guest of honor, and the theme was Wild Wild West (Gateway to the West). The meet had 211 registered attendees, and 62 participants in the fursuit parade. $1455 was raised for convention charity Stray Rescue of St. Louis.
On November 21, 2013, Keyla Otter posted on the convention website:
|We were informed this morning that the The Millennium Hotel St. Louis will be unable to host our event in April 2014. On January 22, 2014 the hotel will be closing their doors and will cease all operations indefinitely. While this is bad news as we hoped to make that hotel our convention’s home for many years to come, it is absolutely not the end of Gateway FurMeet! Our Hotel Liaison is already working hard on getting us a new home for the convention in cooperation with the Millenium Hotel. We absolutely intend to hold our first convention on the dates that have already been planned, and for the same cost.|
On December 25, Keyla posted
|We have been through some tough times this year but we have managed to put together a great holiday gift for our attendees – a new hotel! We have just signed a contract with the Hampton Inn – Gateway Arch in downtown St. Louis, only a few blocks away from our previous location. Our new hotel is just as close to the action in the downtown area, including the Gateway Arch and Busch Stadium.|
Attendance was 223, with 50 participants in the fursuit parade. The convention charity was Five Acres Animal Shelter, for which the convention raised $2,051 ($620 in the charity auction, $431 from the donation box and raffle, and $1,000 by the convention itself).
Attendance was 208, with "around 50" participants in the fursuit parade. Five Acres Animal Shelter was once again the convention charity, for whom the convention raised $1083.20.
Gateway FurMeet 2017 was to be moved to the fall of 2017 in order to avoid date conflicts experienced in 2016, and the difficulties in trying to plan around the Cardinals schedule. During contract negotiations, the previous hotel became unworkable after trying to place other groups within the same space while the convention was trying to expand, and at a cost nearly twice that of 2016.
Along with the announcement to push the dates to 2018, Gateway FurMeet announced that they will host the first GFM Picnic on September 16, 2017 at Greentree Park in Kirkwood. Details for the event have not been announced.
Gateway FurMeet 2018 will be held March 9th-11th, 2018 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis – Westport. Registration will open July 1, 2017. The con theme is also the launch of Gateway Fur Quest, a con-wide game where players compete for points, achievements and prizes.
From the GFM website blog post:
|We have taken great care in considering our options in order to facilitate our grand plans to expand GFM while also being mindful of the costs for our guests. We are thrilled to announce that we have chosen a great hotel with an event team that is excited to work with us to give us a chance to grow while offering a great experience to our attendees. The DoubleTree hotel is located in Westport in Saint Louis County, near I 270 and Page Ave., approximately 30 minutes west of the previous hotel and with a much better convention space and better access to local restaurants in the nearby Westport Plaza."|
Gateway FurMeet Team on the convention website lists:
- "Hotel" on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved December 26, 2013
- "About Us" on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved May 5, 2013
- "GOH" on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved May 5, 2013
- Main page on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved May 5, 2013
- "Hotel" on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved May 5, 2013 (no longer current)
- Important Hotel Update posted November 21, 2013 on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Hotel Situation Update posted November 26, 2013 on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Happy Holidays! posted December 25, 2013 on the Gateway Fur Meet website. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- GFM Update, posted November 22, 2014 to the Gateway Fur Meet Facebook group.
- Honored Guests on Gateway FurMeet website (retrieved 02/23/15)
- "GFM 2015 Summary" - posting on the Gateway FurMeet website. Dated May 11, 2015. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Tweet on the Gateway FurMeet account on Twitter. Dated November 6, 2015. Retrieved November 6, 2015.
- Honored Guest on the Gateway FurMeet 2016 website. retrieved May 14, 2016.
- Facebook post on the Gateway Fur Meet group, dated June 14, 2016. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- http://gatewayfurmeet.org/gateway-furmeet-team/ Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Gateway FurMeet on Facebook
- Gateway FurMeet on Twitter
- Gateway FurMeet on SoFurry
- Gateway FurMeet on Inkbunny
- GatewayFurMeet on Fur Affinity
- Gateway Fur Meet / Saint Louis Convention on Facebook
|This entry about a convention is a stub - can you it?|