Furrygate: The Furrying
|This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to WikiFur style and standards.|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
Furrygate: The Furrying
Under this title, Sadly, No!, a political liberal sites, wrote an expose on Cigarskunk that went past the political pasture, directly to the back meadows of the Furry Fandom. WikiFur, Fur Affinity, et al were exposed and discussed by both political blogs and fandom watcher sites..
Furry fandom, its culture, and specific furry individuals made a rare appearance the last week of May 2008 on several internet political sites keeping abreast on the ongoing 2008 United States presidential election, specifically president elect Barack Obama's mistake regarding which Nazi concentration camp his great-uncle, Charles Payne, helped liberate during World War II.
Buchenwald, not Auschwitz-Birkenau
On May 26th, 2008 (Memorial day), in a speech in Las Cruces, N.M. Senator Barack Obama told the attending audience about the deed of his relative, U.S. Army Pfc. Charles Payne, who, while serving with K Company of the 355th Infantry Regiment of the 89th Infantry Division, was with, in his own words:
|...The first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps on April 4, 1945|
Problem was, the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp complex was actually liberated by the 322nd Rifle Division of the Red Army on January 27, 1945, while his great-uncle's unit helped with the initial liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp, specifically the Ohrdruf camp, one of the subdivisions of Buchenwald proper.
Sweetness & Light and Cigarskunk
One such blog, Sweetness & Light, went further with this criticism, actually challenging the existence of the senator's uncle. One of his "correspondents," Cigarskunk, accused Obama of "lying about the service of family members to further their political agendas" during an email exchange between him and WWII veteran Ray Kitchell, webmaster of the 89th Infantry Division website:
|In light of the recent controversy over the military service of Barrak [sic] Obama’s grandfather, Charles W Payne, I was hoping to contact you to get some kind of verification of his membership in the 89th.
I’ve checked the records of [website] and they only list him as being in the Navy.
I would like to get a second source to confirm that Obama is still lying on this subject as my grandfathers, father and uncles all served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam and I don’t particularly care for politicians lying about the service of family members to further thier political agendas.
- Sadly, No!'s May 30th, 2008 article "Furrygate: The Furrying"
- Quartertothree.com's May 29, 2008 forum entry "Obama Critic Takes on the 89th Infantry Div."
- First-draft.com's May 30th, 2008 article "Some People Just Don't Understand When to Shut the Fuck Up"
- Democraticunderground.com's May 31st, 2008 article "Furrygate: The Furrying (Obama's Uncle Investigation Update)"
- Shit Planet's June 1st, 2008 article"Conservatives are special!!"
- Cogitamus.com's June 3, 2008 article "Taking On The 89th ID Armed With A Cigar And Skunk Suit"
- Crush, Yiff, Destroy's May 30th, 2008 article "Cigarskunk: Always good for a laugh"
- Journalfen.net's May 30th, 2008 article "Furries: They Ruin Everything"
- Missdynamite.com's May 31th, 2008 article "Confurrrrvative Internet tough guy loves skunks, hates negroes"
- The Tomb of the Unknown Fangirl's June 3, 2008 article "Another reason the “greatest generation” was so great: no furries"
- Washingtonpost.com's May 27th. 2008 article "Obama Says He Erred in Speech"
- Michelle Malkin's May 27th. 2008 article "The Obama gaffe machine rolls on"
- Freerepublic.com's May 27th. 2008 article "I Didn't Know This About Obama's Uncle, Did You?"
- Sweetness & Light's May 27th. 2008 article "Obama Claims His Uncle Liberated Auschwitz"
- Sweetness & Light May 27th. 2008 article "A query to the 89th divisions website"
- Sadlyno.com's May 29th, 2008 article "Best Bitch Slap EVAR"
- Hanlon’s Razor's May 29th, 2008 article "Obama’s great uncle and the shameless nay-sayers"
- Political Punch's May 29th, 2008 article "http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/05/wwii-vet-fires.html"
- First-draft.com's May 29th, 2008 article "Some People Just Don't Understand When to Shut the Fuck Up"
- Quick Google search for "Obama +Auschwitz +cigarskunk"