|The use of time in this article lacks definition. Dates should be used instead of words like "today" and "currently".|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
_____ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ , SM / ' ' ) ) ) ' ) / / ) ' ) / ,-/-, . . __ __ __ , / / / / / / /-< (_/ (_/_/ (_/ (_/ (_/ / ' (_ (__/ (__/ / ) / '
|Server||furrymuck.com, port 8888 or port 8899 for SSL (TLS) → IPv4: 188.8.131.52:8888 or IPv6: [2600:3c01::f03c:91ff:fe96:8fad]:8888|
|Ran from/to||August 1990 - present|
FurryMUCK is the oldest anthropomorphic MUCK, and the second largest by usage (behind Tapestries). It is popular among the furry community, although also used by others. It is owned and operated by Furry Enterprises, a collective organization of the wizards and admins.
- Main article: History of FurryMUCK
In general, most public areas of FurryMUCK are officially PG-13, although conversation has a habit of straying into more mature topics. In practice, the PG-13 rule is only used against targeted people rather than being enforced fairly. Most people on the MUCK (not including those who regularly use The West Corner of the Park) are tired of the PG-13 rule. However, areas specified for the purpose, like the Libertyville Nude Beach or Industrial Sabotage, may have a higher rating. See Category:FurryMUCK locations.
- The Owlhaven Literary Lounge has weekly story readings every Tuesday night at 7pm CST (GMT-6)
- Artist's Ambush used to occur every Monday in the Studio de l'Artiste at 10:30pm EST (GMT-5)
FurryMUCK offers two types of programming:
- MPI, a Lisp inspired text-replacement language used by most regular players for simple scripts
- MUF, typically used for more complex operations and to implement system actions - apprentice access typically granted on request
- Drew - @age registration / Player Relations
- Frang - Player Relations
- K'has - Player Relations
- Lisa_Lynx - Player Relations
- Lynx - Server Problems and Restarts
- Nightwind - MUF/MPI / Helpstaff / Idle Purges / @age assistant
- Shaterri - Player Relations
- Tugrik - Site Administration / Builder Wizard / Quota
Revar is not a wizard, but is responsible for many of FurryMUCK's scripts and helps Tugrik with administration.
Players who are no longer wizards for one reason or another include:
- Centaur - Recycling
- Erych (1990-1991)
- Abigail / Claire (Claire Benedikt) (1990-?)
- Archteryx (1991)
- Lionman (1991-1992)
- Revar (1992)
- Ashtoreth: Building Wizard, resigned 1992
- S'A'Alis: Character Creation / Site Administration (Oct 1993 - stepped down Jul 2001)
- O'nara: Assistant to S'A'Alis
- Kimi (1992-1995)
- Silent Red (? - June 1999)
- Riss - MUF Wizard / Asst. Character Creation / Zombies (1992 - Apr 1999)
- Points (1995 - Feb 1999)
- Slipstream: MUF/MPI Asst. / Globals Maintenance (Nov 1996 - Feb 1999)
- Mishael - Assistant @age registration and character creation (1992 - 1997; 1999 - 2008)
- Chip_Unicorn - Player relations
- Aragh - Player Relations / Character Creation
FurryMUCK has historically also had a Mayor, typically elected, although the mayoralty has been known to pass hands for as much as $1.37, and little as the wag of a tail. It was an official part of the process that new mayors were selected in a different way each time. The first mayor was selected by a relatively fair election, so all others thereafter were selected by varying other methods, all deliberately corrupt in some way. Bribery, nepotism, theocracy, and vote-buying were all used.
The joke is that despite the good–natured (and otherwise) hullabaloo over the selection process, the post is almost entirely symbolic. The only responsibility of the Mayor being to change the name of the currency. One day you may be strolling through the park and see "You found a reason to taunt a fox!" and the next you might see "You have 234 catnip mice." Toast explained "A good mayor changes the currency frequently, no less than every other day, RL permitting."
Past Mayors and how they lost their title include:
- Triggur (mid-1994 to February 1995) - position bought out in a shady deal with Tugrik
- AJWolf (February 1995 to January 1996) - sold for loose change at ConFurence 7
- Frang (January 1996 - October 1997?) - lost in a corrupt election where the votes could be bought
- Toast (October 1997 - August 1998) - delivered to a god by material sacrifice
- Inari (August 1998 - October 1999) - lost a contentious election
- Mwerevu - (October 1999 - July 2000) - voluntarily stepped down
- Rose de Stitches - (July 2000 - August 2000?) - dethroned after protests, the wizards got annoyed and declared the Mayoralty suspended
While players have asked for the Mayorship contest to return, so far the wizards have not re-approved the event.
Server and upkeep
FurryMUCK currently runs on a virtual Xen instance hosted at Linode.com's facility in Fremont, California. It's a "2048 instance", which means it has 2G RAM, four virtual processors and 64GB drive space. The current wizard and site-admin Tugrik administrates the Linode with Revar's assistance.
FurryMUCK currently supports IPv6 at its address ipv6.furrymuck.com.
Server status and donation information can be found on. Monthly co-location fees are paid for by wizard and player donations. Tugrik and Revar pay for the rest when donations don't cover the fees in full.
- FurryMUCK Elections - Jahangiri's History of FurryMUCK (archived)
- FurryMUCK website
- FurryMUCK Maps (1998 to 2004, archived)
- FurryMUCK--A bi-friendly place. March 1992 post by Drew Maxwell to soc.bi.
Caballo Isle · Cabaret Fur Le Dance · Callahans · Calumny · Cuddlers' Club · The Emerald City Tavern · Fenris Club · FurrySpace · Furrywood · Garden of Eden · The Giants' Club · Hermaphrodite Haven · Itza Castle · Kenya Battle Dojo · Libertyville Nude Beach · Palace of Dragons · Tangent Dragons · The Purple Nurple · The Vanilla Club · West Corner of The Park · Willing Victims Guild · Woodgate Forest
|Text-based multiplayer worlds|
Oldest still running