|First iteration||Jan 27-29, 2017|
|Organizer(s)||Salmy, Tronchy, Sierra ("S")|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Furrnion resources|
The name Furrnion was originated from a term used by Panda Paco for his local meets (a "furry reunion").
One spring day, two friends were in a bar in Madrid ranting between beer and beer. One of them dropped, not without some guase, that why not organize a Con with all of the law. Instead of "come on man, do not joke", the colleague stared into his eyes and snapped "no eggs". The challenge was launched and there was no turning back. They later added a third to their cause, and soon, they were clear the way forward.
Soon Salmy, Tronchy and Sierra started to work, gathering a team that could make Furrnion possible. Slowly, something that seemed small was evolving. Deadlines, working groups, assignments, etc., were determined. Little by little, hotels were selected, the web was prepared, the mascots took shape ... And the first Spanish Furry Convention emerged!
It was held at MC Las Provincias Hotel, Fuenlabrada, Madrid, on 27, 28 and 29 January 2017; and attended more than 220 furries between regular attendees and visitors to the special day of open doors.
Furrnion has two mascots: Bertín y Doña Ana.
- Bertín: Miura bull, 25 years old and 1'95m tall. Helpful and patient, he has by nature an incredible strength and resistance that sometimes can't control. He admires Doña Ana deeply and that is the reason why he offers to be her assistant in her projects, despite the fact that sometimes he feels something stressful. He usually wears casual clothes (or tuxedo in special occasions) and a bandanna tied around the neck. As accessory, it has a ring on the nose.
- Doña Ana: Iberian lynx, 30 years old and 1'50m tall. She is the leader of the group. Entrepreneur, determined, glamorous, but also daring and willing to do what it takes to have fun. It's pure nerve. She usually wears elegant clothes, usually a jacket (or long dress in special occasions) and wears glasses (only for reading) hanging around the neck with a drawstring.
Although in its first edition they hadn't any theme, Furrnion takes the idea of thematic and tries to present different subject in its following year.
- 2017: Furrnion -> 27-29 January 2017
- 2018: Furrnion II - Chivalry Tails, based on chivalry books -> 20-22 April 2018
Furrnion collaborates with the NGO Madrid Felina an association of local charity associated with animals. Their job is to look for a better future for urban cats by adopting them and participating in activities to benefit them (social awareness talks, sterilization, implementation of the capture-sterilize-release method (CES)) in several municipalities in the Community of Madrid. The first edition of Furrnion was able to raise almost 800 € for its cause through the generous donations of the assistants; and two kittens were named Salmy and Tronchy in honor of two of Furrnion's three principal founders .
Unlike most conventions, Furrnion personnel occasionally change (both the staff and the "ambassadors", the official Furrnion representatives for their country or area). Although many of the staff remain, Furrnion also has open positions for anyone who wants to work and collaborate in the convention. You can contact them at https://www.furrnion.org/en/collaborate.
- The Place on the Furrnion website. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Tronchy and Salmy are saved. Thanks Madrid Felina. They raised 780€ during #Furrnion - Furrnion, Twitter (1 Feburary 2017)
- Con Site
- Furrnion on Facebook
- Furrnion en Twitter
- Furrnion on YouTube
- Furrnion on FurAfinnity
- Furrnion on Inkbunny
- Furrnion on DeviantArt
- Furrnion on FurryNetwork
- Furrnion on Weasyl
- Furrnion on SoFurry
- Furrnion on Instagram
- Furrnion en Tumblr