|Launch date||November, 1991|
Furrlough is an anthology comic specializing in anthropomorphic adventure, currently published by Radio Comix. It is the longest-running furry anthology comic book series and one of longest-running anthologies in the American comic industry, independent or otherwise, and maintained a monthly publication schedule from 1993 to 2008. The latest issue, Furrlough #190, was released in 2010 September.
Furrlough was originally released by Antarctic Press in November 1991 with the intent of specializing in military tales of an anthropomorphic nature. The focus slowly shifted to "military and adventure" and eventually just "adventure", as the tone of submissions to the anthology likewise shifted. Although Antarctic's founder Ben Dunn launched the title as its editor, the company's needs quickly compelled him to pass the role on to the duo of Shon Howell and Brian Sutton, both of whom were also prolific contributors. The two acted as co-editors from issues #2 - #17.
Elin Winkler took over editing with issue #18, with Furrlough running for a total of 51 issues at Antarctic Press (Why 51? At that time, Ben Dunn wanted Furrlough to last one issue longer than Critters, another anthropomorphic anthology published by Fantagraphics Books in the 1980s, because he had a personal axe to grind with Fantagraphics' editor Gary Groth). At that time, AP's success in promoting non-anthro comic titles such as Warrior Nun Areala prompted the company to reinvest its resources in an attempt to concentrate more effort behind its breakout titles. The anthro comics, which sold at a small but steady profit, were cut loose in order to make the necessary capital available.
Ms. Winkler, along with a number of other pro-anthropomorphism stalwarts, immediately founded Radio Comix which took these discarded titles, including Furrlough, under its wing. Issue #52 was published in April 1997, and new issues were released monthly until a switch to a bi-monthly schedule in mid-2008. In 2009 the publication frequency was changed to semi-annual, with changing binding and prices of printed issues due to a Diamond Comic Distributors policy change. The reliable profitability of these titles, however small it might be, allowed Radio to remain solvent and build its fortunes at a steady pace.
The first issue included
- front cover by Stephan Peregrine
- untitled story by Noel Tominack and Peter Stroller (reprinted in Best of Furrlough Vol. 1).
- Panzercorps: The Prototype by Brian Sutton, Steve Blake and Matthew Dutchman (reprinted in Best of Furrlough Vol. 2)
- Romanics: Ferae Bestiae story by Joe Rosales (reprinted in Best of Furrlough Vol. 1).
- Stosstrupp part 1 by Ted Sheppard (reprinted in Best of Furrlough Vol. 2).
- Chet and Valentine by Eric Gilreath and Alex Tucker
- At the Mercy of Love by Riley
- Additional illustrations by Ben Dunn and Davey Jones
Furrlough #193 was in the 2013 November catalog of Diamond Comic Distributors (largest distro of comics in North America) with a release date of 2014 January 29 but solicitation was cancelled in 2014 April for "Lateness".
The most popular stories to appear in Furrlough (as voted by its readers) include:
|Top position#||Series name||Author(s)||Additional notes|
|0 (over 100 votes)||Full Knight Gear||Michael Vega|
|0 (over 100 votes)||Heebas||Scotty Arsenault|
|0 (over 100 votes)||The Otters||Norman Scott|
|0 (over 100 votes)||Stosstrupp||Ted Sheppard||Stosstrupp was also published in Stosstrupp Review|
|0 (over 100 votes)||Tall Tails||Jose Calderon and Daphne Lage|
|1||Ebin & May||Smudge and Ed Garcia|
|2||Tiger Orange||Kurt Wilcken and Ken Lowe|
|5||Romanics||Joe Rosales||Romanics appeared in Furrlough's Finest #1 and in Furrlough #1, 2, 4, 6, 106, 108, 110, 112, and probably in later issues.|
- Diamond Comic Distributors shipping list for 2010 September 9 at a Diamond Comic Distributors website. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- On Diamond's New Policies January 19, 2009 post by Elin to Radio Comix LiveJournal. Retrieved 2011 August 20.
- Furrlough #190 in Radio Comix Store. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- text version of Customer Order Form for 2015 November Previews catalog, archived 2014 Feb 22 at archive.org. Retrieved 2015 October 16.
- Previews April VOL. 24 #4 (2014 April) Cancellations (code 1 = Lateness), archived 2014 May 8 at archive.org. Retrieved 2015 October 16.
- Top 100 Furrlough Stories December 2008!. Retrieved 2009 March 21.
- Google cache of Stosstrupp Review #2 webpage at Second Ed Mailorder website.
- Furrlough at the Radio Comix Store
- Furrlough at Rabbit Valley
- Furrlough and Furrlough Color Special at Comic Book DB
- Furrlough at Grand Comics Database
|Some of this page is derived from Wikipedia. The original article was at Furrlough, but has since been deleted or merged. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WikiFur, the text of Wikipedia is available under CC-BY-SA and the GFDL.|