|While WikiFur does not require total neutrality, the point of view of this article is disputed.|
Please check the talk page discussion before making substantial changes.
|This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to WikiFur style and standards.|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
|First iteration||6-7 March 2010|
|Organizer(s)||Anthropomorphic Events of Ontario|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Furnal Equinox resources|
|Furnal Equinox 2010|
|Furnal Equinox 2011|
|Furnal Equinox 2012|
|Furnal Equinox 2013|
|Furnal Equinox 2014|
|Furnal Equinox 2015|
|Furnal Equinox 2016|
|Furnal Equinox staff|
|Furnal Equinox guests of honour|
Furnal Equinox (sometimes abbreviated as FE) is a regional furry convention held during the month of March in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Announced in 2009 and holding its first edition in 2010, it is Canada's largest furry convention by attendance.
Purpose and Operations
|Our mission is to bring together fans of the furry genre together in a laid-back, casual environment to exchange artwork and crafts, share ideas, participate in entertainment, and meet the fantastic creators and fans that contribute to the furry community, all in one of Canada's premier cities. We aim to not only showcase homegrown talent here in Canada, but bring the best furry artists around the world to our members.|
Furnal Equinox has aimed to promote the goal of showcasing the best local talent and attracting worldwide furry names by inviting two Guests of Honour to the convention every year, one from Canada and one from outside of Canada.
The convention has raised money every year for charity through its Charity Auction. The convention supported the Mississauga Humane Society from 2010 until 2015, raising over $33,000 for the MHS over six years.
Furnal Equinox is operated by Anthropomorphic Events of Ontario, incorporated in the Province of Ontario as a corporation without share capital (NPO) since June 2009. Its current directors are as follows:
- Scani - President, Convention Chair
- Olefin - Secretary, Technical Lead
- Aaeden - Volunteers Lead
- Arc - Chief of Security
- Mune - Programming Lead
Prior to 2010, there had never been a large, hotel-based furry event hosted in the Toronto area. (Camp Feral has run continuously since 1998 at a summer camp three hours from Toronto.) The Islington Furmeet, created in the summer of 2008 and taking place in Toronto's west end, was a recurring meet in the area that demonstrated the viability of large-scale gatherings.
Through 2008 and early 2009, discussions regarding the feasibility of a hotel event took place on the Ontario Furries forum, which eventually moved to a private mailing list. In June 2009, the convention formerly incorporated, with Pakesh De, Blindsight, Crassadon, Dan Skunk and Scani as its initial directors. Pakesh assumed the role of convention chair, with Blindsight joining later as a co-chair. The two would remain for the following five years.
FE was promoted in its first year as "Toronto's First Furry Convention" and formally announced its name on July 1 (Canada Day), 2009.
Despite operating as a two-day event, the first Furnal Equinox proved to be a success, breaking the existing attendance record for a Canadian furry convention and exceeding all expectations -- including those of the organizers, who ran out of conbooks midway through registration on Saturday.
After the 2010 convention, Arc, the convention's head of Security, joined the Board of Directors.
By 2012, Furnal Equinox had doubled in size and expanded to a new wing of the Doubletree hotel. At the conclusion of the 2012 event, it announced a move to the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre, where all subsequent events have been held.
With additional growth in the past several years, recent conventions have seen the addition of additional programming hours on Friday, and other special events such as a hospitality suite, a fursuit dance competition, and a masquerade.
After several years of working as publicity lead, Scani was announced as the new chair of the convention in July 2014, with Olefin also joining the board of directors. Blindsight, Pakesh and Shane remained on the board for an additional transition year before fully handing the reins to a new team in the summer of 2015.
At closing ceremonies for Furnal Equinox 2015, Keianza was announced as the winner of a logo competition that had taken place for the past several months. The new logo will be fully utilized for the 2016 convention.
- Furnal Equinox 2010 took place on March 6-7, 2010 at the Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Airport hotel, attracting 330 attendees. The Guests of Honour were Heather Bruton and BushyCat, and the convention celebrated the theme of "Furry Fun and Games".
- Furnal Equinox 2011 took place on March 11-13, 2011, returning to the Doubletree by Hilton - Toronto Airport hotel, attracting 450 attendees. The Guests of Honour were FirestormSix and ZEN, and the convention's theme was "Wild Magic". $4,000 was raised for the Mississauga Humane Society.
- Furnal Equinox 2012 took place on March 16-18, 2012, returning to the Doubletree and attracting 651 attendees. The Guests of Honour were furry artists Dark Natasha and Marci McAdam, and the theme of the convention was "Infurnally Yours". $8,000 was raised for the Mississauga Humane Society.
- Furnal Equinox 2013 took place on March 8-10, 2013 at a new hotel, the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre, attracting 750 attendees. The Guests of Honour were RedCoatCat and Rukis, and the theme was "Furries in Uniform". $6,000 was raised for the Mississauga Humane Society.
- Furnal Equinox 2014 took place on March 7-9, 2014 at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre, attracting 910 attendees. The Guests of Honour were Sandy Schreiber and Sabretoothed Ermine, and the theme was "Circus!". $6,000 was raised for the Mississauga Humane Society.
- Furnal Equinox 2015 took place on March 13-15, 2015 at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre, attracting 1,051 attendees. The Guests of Honour were Xenotropos and H0rs3, and the theme was "Furry Arcade". $9,001 was raised for the Mississauga Humane Society.
- Furnal Equinox 2016 will take place on March 18-20, 2016 at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre. The Guests of Honour will be Karine Charlebois and TaniDaReal, and the theme will be "Superheroes".
- About Us, Furnal Equinox website. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- FAQ, Furnal Equinox website. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- History, Furnal Equinox website. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Furnal Equinox: coming to Toronto in March 2010!, furry.ca forum thread (archive on archive.org, dated August 17, 2012). Retrieved July 23, 2015.
- Chair announcement, Furnal Equinox Facebook page. Posted July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Furnal Equinox 2015 Closing Ceremonies, Furnal Equinox YouTube page. Posted June 8, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- Official website
- Furnal Equinox on YouTube
- Furnal Equinox on Facebook
- Furnal Equinox on Twitter
- Furnal Equinox on Fur Affinity