|This article may be out of date and in need of updating to include more recent information or status.|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
| Fur Affinity front page|
|Author(s)||Owner/Lead admin: Dragoneer (via Ferrox Art LLC)|
|Launch date|| 16 January–1 August 2005 (staff dispute & server issues)|
10 December 2005–present
|Genre||Social media community|
Fur Affinity, also known as FA, is the furry fandom's largest online community, focusing on the promotion of art, music and stories.
The site was created in 2005 by Alkora as an alternative to various art community sites such as SheezyArt and deviantART, distinguished by allowing artistic freedom of expression regardless of content rating. It is led by Dragoneer and Daemonshyai.
- Main article: History of Fur Affinity
Fur Affinity was launched on 16 January 2005 as an alternative to SheezyArt, with the forum going live on that date and the main site being transferred a few days later from FurPawz. Since then, it has suffered a few outages, most notably a month-long downtime over July 2008, but always managed to recover. In 2011, Fur Affinity announced a major revamp in connection to FA: United 4.
Fur Affinity: United!
- Main article: FA: United
In August 2007, Fur Affinity held its own furry convention, Fur Affinity: United! (or FA:U) in Newark, New Jersey. The convention was a success, drawing 310 attendees and 25 fursuiters in the parade, and was followed by another in 2008, drawing 381 attendees. In February 2009, Dragoneer announced FA: United 3 "Games United" for 28-30 May 2010. No event was scheduled for 2009 due to the economic downturn.
Features and rules
Fur Affinity's features for users include the ability to allow users to track new updates from particular artists; highlight favorites; and upload a wide variety of art (images, music and stories). The site attempts to promote community through its comments system and individual journals.
While works of all ratings are accepted (other than photographic nudes, images whose intent are to slander or discredit others, and minors in sexual situations), art rated as mature or adult is not shown to visitors, or to users who have not specified it as a preference (which requires giving a date of birth indicating an age over 18). Keywords and tags can be added to works, though a feature that allowed blocking based on tags was disabled due to performance issues.
Fur Affinity's search engine was "temporarily disabled" in mid-2006 due to it taking up too many resources. A faux search feature was implemented for April Fool's Day 2007, much to the chagrin of some users. Search was reimplemented on 5 February 2009; it was initially labelled "That Thing You Want" and randomly included rickrolls.
Privacy features were added in May 2012 with users being able to block guests from seeing their content with messages such as "[username] has elected to make their content available to registered users only" and being able to hide their adult, mature+adult or all favorites from public view.
- Main article: Ferrox (software)
The FA development team was working on a new backend system called Ferrox which was to be used for the next major revision of Fur Affinity, and was to be made available as FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) for other sites to use. By late 2009, development of Ferrox had stalled, with the last change to the code being made on September 7, 2009. Days earlier, net-cat, who was acting as the lead Ferrox developer after Eevee had left, announced that the code was to be frozen, citing that "Nobody knows Python."
Fender is the Fur Affinity mascot, created by artist K-9 based on a character concept by Preyfar. He is half fox and half ferret, a "ferrox". On April Fool's Day 2007, Fender was depicted in the site's banner as a female dragon. This dragon was made a separate character and an official mascot of the site in May 2007, and named Rednef, or "Fender" spelled backwards.
- Main article: History of Fur Affinity#Controversies
Fur Affinity's listed "Administration and Support Staff" include Asia Neko, Carmen, Dragoneer ("Site Owner/Admin"), Fox Amoore, Jasu Fox, Kryphosdrgn ("Photography Team Lead"), Nero Silent, quoting_mungo, SSJ3Mewtwo, and Surgat. Xaerun also has administrator status, as does a "System Account" which is used to send anonymous notices.
Past staff include Bazeel, Glaide, Grammatist, Hendikins, Keio, Luftwoofe, Oddy, Odin36519, Photographurer, QMelon, Sheepdust, Silver R. Wolfe, Summercat, Trpdwarf, Tsawolf and Writerwren.
- In late 2010, the monthly hosting bill for FurAffinity was just under $1,700 . This includes a full equipment rack, bandwidth, and IP addresses. The monthly cost likely increased with the addition of extra bandwidth (Increasing the total to 350Mbit) in early 2012.
- In less than a year since the site's re-launch, Fur Affinity gained over 45,000 users and over 300,000 submissions. 
- Alexa has previously ranked Fur Affinity in the top 4,000 sites on the web in 1 November 2007, showing greater traffic than the VCL for most of the previous year. The trend continued through 2008 and 2009. Fur Affinity has ranked as high as 3,475 on individual days, and close to 2,000 in the USA. In October 2010, Fur Affinity's rank fell to 7681.
- Fur Affinity reached its 1,000,000th submission on 11 January 2008. It later reached its 2,000,000th submission on 15 February 2009, and its 3,000,000th submission in November 2009.
|Name||Purpose||Hardware Notes||First Used||Status|
|Routezilla||Router||Cisco 7301 router||?||Presumed in use|
|Switchthulu||Network Switch||48-port Cisco Catalyst 3560. Replaced an older 24-port Cisco 3750, also called "Switchthulu"||?||Presumed in use|
|Neo Bahamut||Database Backup||Dual-core 2.0GHz Opteron with 2GB DDR2-667 RAM. Storage consists of 4x 1TB hard drives in RAID5||?||Presumed in use|
|Figment|| Virtualization Server
Ad server, Email server
|Dual quad-core 2.33Ghz Xeon 5345 with 32GB of RAM and 4x 1TB of storage. Figment was purchased with the intent of offering hosting on it "sometime in April... or May, or maybe August" of 2010 and is currently serving advertisments. Server was named by Sciggles.||2010||In use|
|Sparkz||Network Monitoring||Twin dual-core 2.4Ghz Opteron 2216 system with 48GB of RAM. The server was named by FA donator Dax. This server is the only server in a group of four donated servers (The others being Shivan, Tonberry, and Lapse) that is known to have been put into service.||November 30, 2010||In use|
|File Server||File/App Server||An unnamed, unspecified model which is only known to have 12 Terrabytes worth of hard drives in it. This server replaced Trogdor.||October 2011||In use|
|Finn*||Database Server||A custom-built server in a Supermicro SuperServer SYS-6027R-WRF chassis with at least one Intel Xeon 6C E5 2620 processor, 64GB of RAM, and 6 15k HDD's in an unknown RAID. This server was built by donations received in February 2013. Due to a MySQL misconfiguration leading to a database crash, Finn was swapped with Jake in December 2013.||September 16, 2013||Unknown|
|Jake*||Database Server||A custom-built server in a Supermicro SuperServer SYS-6027R-WRF chassis with at least one Intel Xeon 6C E5 2620 processor, 64GB of RAM, and 6 15k HDD's in an unknown RAID. This server was built by donations received in February 2013.||December 16, 2013||In use|
- Finn and Jake are identical and were bought with the purpose of building a redundant database cluster. For unknown reasons, Finn was brought online first, with Jake supposedly following behind later that week. In December 2013, an issue came up that put the site into "Read Only" for a week. FA then moved the database to Jake, which was apparently not put into service yet.
Retired / unused hardware
|Name||Purpose||Hardware Notes||First Used||Retired|
|Gecko||Web Server||The original FA server, is a dual 3.0Ghz Nocona Xeon system with 4GB of RAM. Storage consists of 2x 250GB hard drives. The server is still used to host Team Fortress 2 servers for the Furry Pound and Left 4 Dead servers for the Fur Affinity Steam Gamers group.||?||?|
|Tiamat||Search||Twin dual-core 2.0Ghz Opteron 2212 with 32GB DDR2-533 RAM||?|| August 31, 2010|
|Novastorm||Database||a Sun Fire X4150 manufactured by Wikipedia:Sun Microsystems with twin quad-core 2.5Ghz Xeon 5420 processors and 64GB of RAM (as of March 2010). Storage consists of 2x 74GB 15K RPM hard drives in RAID1 and 6x146GB 15K RPM hard drives in RAID10. The server was initially purposed as the "Application server" but eventually converted to run the Database. This server was bought with donations following the July 2009 outage.||August 2009|| September 2013|
(Replaced by Finn)
|Shivan||Unused/Unknown||Twin dual-core 2.4Ghz Opteron 2216 system with 48GB of RAM. The server was named by FA donator TlaiLaxu.||?||?|
|Tonberry||Unused/Unknown||Twin dual-core 2.4Ghz Opteron 2216 system with 48GB of RAM. The server was named by FA donator YiffyHusky.||?||?|
|Lapse||Unused/Unknown||Twin dual-core 2.4Ghz Opteron 2216 system with 48GB of RAM||?||?|
|Trogdor||File/App Server||A Dell Poweredge 2970 2U Server with 32GB RAM. Storage consists of 6x 1TB hard drives - 4x in a RAID10 array, 1x RAID hotspare and 1x local backups. This server was bought with donations following the July 2009 outage.||August 2009|| October 2011|
(Replaced by File Server)
Confirmed future features
|On-demand printing|| December 2005
|Content filtering||November 2006||Not Implemented||Proposed for Ferrox.|
|Gallery folders||November 2006
|Not Implemented||Proposed for Ferrox.|
|New UI|| April 2007
|Canceled?||Was in development at the same time as Ferrox.|
|New "dark" theme|| May 2012
|In Progress||This project incorporates a new "dark" theme using some of the elements of the "New UI" that was canceled.|
|"Character Information"||October 2012||In Progress||A placeholder for a "Character Information" widget is present in the new dark theme.|
|Opossums (pss.ms) URL shortener||August 2010||Not Implemented||pss.ms is currently down.|
|Web hosting|| November 2009
March 2010 
|Supporter ribbons||November 2010||Not Implemented|
|Note/inbox search||September 2010||Not Implemented|
| Artist list and reviews
| June 2006
|Improved commenting||January 2011||Not Implemented|
- Fur Affinity Turns 6! - Dragoneer, Fur Affinity forum post (16 January 2011)
- FAU3 Announcement - Dragoneer, Fur Affinity journal (9 February 2009)
- Acceptable Upload Policy - Fur Affinity
- Admin mode on june 5th 2006 - Alkora, Fur Affinity forums (5 June 2006)
- Search is up! - Fur Affinity Forums (1 April 2007)
- SEARCH - Dragoneer, Fur Affinity journal (5 February 2009)
- Update Notices, Changelog & Banner journal posted to Fender's blog on May 24th, 2012. Retrieved 2012 November 25.
- Ferrox Art LLC (entity number 3791597) - Pennsylvania Corporations, PA Department of State. Accessed 20 November 2013.
- "Staff" - Fur Affinity. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- Cerberusnl, Helperdog, and Shivadramon were listed as of June 20, 2014, but are no longer administrators per their user pages.
- "Xaerun" - Fur Affinity. Accessed 20 June 2014.
- "Fur Affinity System Account" - Fur Affinity]
- Five Fur Affinity staff resign, some citing leadership failures - Rakuen Growlithe, Flayrah (29 October 2011)
- http://twitpic.com/2g8t5x - TwitPic Posted on August 19, 2010 by Dragoneer
- http://twitter.com/furaffinity/status/10203450025 - FA Twitter - March 8, 2010
- http://twitter.com/furaffinity/status/10942579229 - FA Twitter - March 23 2010
- http://twitter.com/furaffinity/status/10936829317 - FA Twitter
- http://twitter.com/furaffinity/status/10585322442 - FA Twitter
- @Furaffinity tweet
- http://twitter.com/furaffinity/status/22617961790 - FA Twitter
- Novastorm upgrade tweet - Dragoneer's twitter (23 March 2010)
- Furaffinity Status' Journal. Fur Affinity on LiveJournal
- Fur Affinity on Tumblr
- Fur Affinity on Twitter
- Fur Affinity on Facebook
- #furaffinity on FurNet IRC
- Fur Affinity Gamers on Steam
- #furaffinity statistics on irc.netsplit.de