FOXmas was organized by Soron and Jaspian (under the former's sole proprietorship, the Kanouse Entertainment Group). It was to be 20th in the series of Frozen Oasis events, but the first aiming to be a standalone convention, developing from Christmas parties at Soron's house which attracted 55 furs in 2008.
FOXmas' promotion had a decidedly mature tone, and led to controversy both inside and outside furry fandom, ultimately resulting in the withdrawal of the Holiday Inn and the cancellation of the public event. An invitation-only party was held instead, as in previous years.
FOXmas was advertised as 18+ to get in, 21+ to drink, allowing "skritching, hugging, lap sitting, kissing, and groping ... between consenting adults". A "non-denominational" Christmas theme was to be in effect, with music, carols, traditional movies, and the exchange of gifts. The media and mundanes were to be barred from convention space.
KnotCast members FuzzWolf (owner of FurPlanet), and Savrin (writer and head of Furry Fiesta's gaming track) were invited as Guests of Honor. Santa-level ($75) sponsors would have had access to a dinner with them.
Soft drinks were to be free, and over-21s who had paid for an "Elf" level ($25) or higher registration were to have access to free alcohol during the Saturday night dance party, with access to mixed drinks provided by the hotel bar at cost. Non-staff photography would not have been permitted in the Saturday night party.
FOXmas' premise and promotional methods have been criticized by several people and organizations.
 Fan responses
nothingkat called FOXmas "Slutty Furry Christmas Con", questioning its "revolutionary" nature, and casting doubt on the staff's ability to exclude the media and non-furs from the event. Fur Affinity owner Dragoneer questioned the event's initial billing as "the most important event in furry history", its "adults only, 18+" status, sexually suggestive advertising, and contradicting information about the event and its policies.
 Something Awful
FOXmas became Something Awful's "Awful Link of the Day" on 14 October, with an encouragement to "stay the fuck away from the Holiday Inn" in December. Shortly afterwards, the event space and room block were cancelled by the hotel. FOXmas was subsequently re-featured as "Awful Link of the Day" with an update critical of event organizers' lack of forthrightness when negotiating its hotel contract, and the hotel staff's displeasure on becoming aware of the event's adult theme. Article contributors reported management as "appalled and extremely embarrassed", being misled as to who the attendees of FOXmas were, claiming that FOXmas was passed off as "a mini-convention of mascots" like Martin the GEICO gecko), and the nature of the events planned.
As of 19 October a new venue had not been found, and pre-registration was suspended, leaving the future of FOXmas in question. Ten days later, the event was cancelled and pre-registrants were refunded.
 Possible 2010 return
Despite the controversy involved, Soron alluded to future plans of FOXmas, noting "there are several hotels interested in hosting us in 2010 even with the controversy that has ensued this month."  and hinted at a FOXmas 2010. However, in August Jaspian noted that the event would not be held as a convention in 2010.
 FOXmas 2011
In November, 2011, FOXmas was announced as a small-scale private party to be held at Soron's home on December 10. Attendance would be capped at 35 people, with IDs being checked at the door to ensure all attendees were 21 or older.
The theme of the party would be "My Little Party: FOXmas is Magic", based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
- ↑ FOXmas Announcement! (Frozen Oasis 20) - Jaspian Stealthpaw, (16 September 2009)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Interview with Soron about FOXmas on Woyro's Warren #97 (18:30 onwards)
- ↑ FOXmas Flyer - picture by AC on Soron's Fur Affinity account (15 October 2009)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Whats up with the hotel? - FOXmas, Google Groups (19 October 2009)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Foxmas has been canceled for 2009 - Soron, (27 October 2009)
- ↑ Slutty Furry Christmas Con 2009 - (6 October 2009)
- ↑ The Most Important Event in Furry History' - The Dragoneer's Fur Affinity journal (12 October 2009)
- ↑ FOX-mas (Thanks, wuffienolikie)! - Something Awful Link of The Day (14 October 2009)
- ↑ FOX-mas Update! - Something Awful Link of The Day (23 October 2009)
- ↑ "Welcome to Fort-T" - PANDA PARTY (Frozen Oasis XXII) in review - Jaspian Stealthpaw, (5 August 2010)
- ↑ "FOXmas6 is coming! This year's theme "My Little Party"" - posting on the Frozen Oasis journal on Fur Affinity. Dated November 13, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011
- ↑ "FOX-mas 2011 "My Little Party: FOX-mas Is Magic"" - posting by Joelly on the Frozen Oasis LiveJournal. Dated November 13, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011