Furry Convention Leadership Roundtable
|Furry Convention Leadership Roundtable|
|First iteration||30 April - 2 May, 2010|
|Organizer(s)||Takaza & Duncan da Husky.|
|Subject||Running furry conventions|
The Furry Convention Leadership Roundtable (FCLR) is an association of furry conventions. The group holds meetings in the tradition of SMOFcon in the science fiction fandom to facilitate communication between its members, as well as maintaining a mailing list and website. Event organizations may submit up to three staff representatives, and must have a signed venue contract and 100 actual or planned attendees to join.
FCLR's organizers claim it is "not the Illuminati" but "a helpful bunch of furs that are here to help us keep the fandom the amazing place it was always meant to be". Conversely, some members have called it "the furry illuminati association"; others describe it as "like Twelve Angry Men, except a buncha damn furries deciding the fate of the badge prep process or the con suite sandwiches".
Following several years of discussion with the senior staff of various furry conventions, Takaza J. Wolf organized the first FCLR. The intention was to create a relaxed atmosphere where various topics of convention running could be discussed in a round-table format (or as close as can be achieved with square tables). Topics of discussion would range widely, including convention marketing, hotel contract negotiation, events organization and the vagaries of incorporation. To prevent the discussion from being dominated by any one organization, the decision was made to have no more than three representatives from each convention (and their significant others), though it was up to each convention which staff members to invite.
The original intention was that, like SMOFcon, each year a different group or organization sponsors the event, and the location will rotate throughout the United States and Canada. Following FCLR 2010, the decision was made the attendees to adopt a two-year rotation schedule instead. Invitations to the event are sent to every furry convention in the United States and Canada with an attendance of more than 100.
One of the group's ground rules is not to discuss event pricing, although other financial topics feature prominently, along with staff/volunteer management, hotel relations, interactions with news and social media, mature content, handling misbehaving attendees, and strategic and disaster planning.
FCLR meetings are held both at and separate from furry conventions, with representatives attending in person or via teleconference. On at least one occasion, hosting bids have been submitted and voted on by members. Events traditionally conclude with a discussion of convention horror stories.
The first FCLR was held at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Lincolnshire, Illinois from April 30 - May 2, 2010. It was attended by representatives from Anthrocon, IndyFurCon, Furry Connection North, Midwest FurFest, RainFurrest, and the Dorsai Irregulars.
- Discussion topics
- Construction of Feedback Surveys
- Hotel Negotiations
- Working with the Media
- Membership Suspensions
- A/V Setups and How to Best Utilize Them
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Age and Minor Issues
- Convention Marketing and Branding
The second FCLR took place at the same Hampton Inn and Suites as the prior year from April 29 - May 1, 2011. It was attended by representatives from Anthrocon, IndyFurCon, Midwest FurFest, Further Confusion, Western Pennsylvania Furry Weekend, and the Dorsai Irregulars.
- Discussion topics
- Anatomy of a Public Relations Issue
- Making the Media Work for You
- Where and How to Market Your Convention
- How to Get Staff and Retain Them
- Insurance: Do you have the correct type of insurance?
- Dealer's Room and Artists' Alley: A Dealer's Point of View (from Diana Stein)
- Age and Minor Issues in the Fandom
Many side discussions arose on the topics of elevator management, techniques for badging minors, writing an effective code of conduct, and convention emergency procedures.
The third FCLR was held at the same Hampton Inn on July 13-15, 2012. It was attended by representatives of Anthrocon, the Dorsai Irregulars, FurDU, Further Confusion, IndyFurCon, Midwest FurFest, MNFurs (Cat Days?), Rainfurrest, and Anime Central.
- Discussion topics
- How To Pick a Theme and Guests of Honor
- Identifying Leadership Qualities in Staff and Volunteers
- Dealing With Staff Problems
- On-Site Communications: Reaching Staff/Reaching Attendees
- Con Creep: Is The Six-Day Con Coming?
- Social Responsibility for Conventions
- Fandom Leadership and Mentoring
FCLR 2013 was once again held in Lincolnshire, Illinois, on the June 8-9, 2013. It featured a one-suit fursuit parade. Participants included Gateway Furmeet, Midwest FurFest, FurDU, Morphicon, Elliott's Live Events, Further Confusion, Furry Weekend Atlanta, IndyFurCon and the Dorsai.
- Discussion topics
- The Best Way to Take Their Money: Billing Systems and Merchant Services
- Cost Management For Conventions
- The Care and Feeding of Hotels: Nurturing the Convention-Hotel Relationship
- Managing Volunteers and Staff
- Planning for the Worst: Disaster Plans and Communication
- Social Media and Conventions: What Works, What Doesn’t, and What’s Disastrous
FCLR 2014 was held April 4-6, 2014 at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada - the same location as Elliott's Spring Gathering, but a month before. There were "17-18" in-person attendees, including representatives from Midwest FurFest, Further Confusion, Texas Furry Fiesta, Biggest Little Fur Con, FurSquared and Oklacon.
- Who Are You? - Furry Convention Leadership Roundtable. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Joining FCLR. Retrieved 18 Feburary 2016.
- FCLR Meet & Greet - FurSquared 2016, Sched
- "Seriously at FCLR (the furry illuminati association) we spent 15 minutes talking about how to never send a GoH on @SpiritAirlines." - Path Hyena, Twitter (22 December 2014)
- ".@pathhyena It's like Twelve Angry Men, except a buncha damn furries deciding the fate of the badge prep process or the con suite sandwiches" - warbledog, Twitter (5 April 2014)
- Photos of FCLR 2011 by Giza
- "@RedTheRabbit We have an explicitly agreement not to discuss pricing. That's was an interesting sober start! Ground rules!" - Path Hyena, Twitter (5 April 2014)
- FCLR Events. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Reply to tweet regarding teleconferencing - Giza, Twitter (14 July 2012)
- "@Taz_Cat1 Actually, bids were submitted and voted on by the membership. Vegas was the winning bid." - Duncan da Husky, Twitter (31 March 2014)
- "We have people here from AC, FC, MWFF, the Dorsai Irregulars, Indy FurCon, Furry Down Under, and MN Furs. #FCLR" - Giza, Twitter (14 July 2012)
- "Welcome to #FCLR The hilarious furry con-staff bitchfest" - warbledog, Twitter (8 June 2013)
- "Fantastic FCLR weekend. Always learn a ton from these. Always come out with a ton of pride in furry organizations. Good jorb! #FCLR" - Perro, Twitter (9 June 2013)
- "this weekend will be host to the world's shortest fursuit parade #FCLR" - Madius, Twitter (7 June 2013)
- "The #fclr fursuit parade featuring only @thatdancingdog ^.^" - Pandez (9 June 2013)
- "This year's participants at #FCLR include Gateway Furmeet, MFF, FurDU, Morphicon, Eliott's Live Events, FC, FWA, IFC, and the Dorsai." - Duncan da Husky, Twitter (8 June 2013)
- "And so ends #FCLR 2014. So many awesome folks here, very long days, and wonderful conversations. Thank you to everyone who participated!" - Duncan da Husky, Twitter (7 April 2014)
- "Chilling in Social Bar at The Palms, waiting to meet & greet all of the #FCLR folks!" - Duncan da Husky, Twitter (4 April 2014)
- "@AlkaniServal It's that too, but 17 or 18 live. MFF, FC, TFF, BLFC, FurSquared, and Oklacon in person." - Path Hyena, Twitter (5 April 2014)